The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Any other History MSt applicants who didn't receive anything yesterday (16th March)?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Finally got my offer for the DPhil in Law (part-time) late yesterday evening! Very pleased. I think it was a delay problem with my email.

Warmest congratulations to all who received offers and commiserations to those who missed out.
Just received an offer for the MSc. in Economics for Development! :smile: I'm glad but now I have to wait to hear back on funding as my ability to take up the offer is largely dependent on it! Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone who is still waiting!
Original post by leyss20
Just received an offer for the MSc. in Economics for Development! :smile: I'm glad but now I have to wait to hear back on funding as my ability to take up the offer is largely dependent on it! Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Congratulations!

Did you receive an offer on a Saturday?
Original post by kelvinltr
Hi all ! I along with my spouse has been accepted for our DPhil's in Chemistry at University of Oxford for the term beginning in October 2018.

We are looking for couple accommodation options and would prefer college accommodation. When checking the map we realized that most of the colleges near the chemistry research lab provide couple accommodation far away from our labs.

We would like to get some suggestions on the most suitable colleges we could talk to on this regard.

Thanks a lot!

hey congratulations on your offer! I also applied for DPhil in chemistry for the January deadline but have heard nothing from the department or my potential supervisor. Did you apply in november?
Original post by SS2006
Congratulations!

Did you receive an offer on a Saturday?

Thanks! Yes, weirdly enough I received the offer at 2pm today. Wasn't even checking my email as frequently as I thought I would have to wait till the beginning of next week!
Original post by Samantha.L.M
If you prefer social history, then go for the MSt History. Very little social history is actually available on the Economic and Social History MSc.

Well, the reason I applied for the MSc is actually because I've never done economic history, but I think it would be beneficial for me for future study. My dissertation topic would still be social history, and there are several options courses which would be really aligned with my interests, but I'd also learn about economic history techniques/quant analysis.

On the other hand, for the MSt, I'm a) still working on the language I'd be doing primary source work with, and a little worried I wouldn't be ready for the research and b) just get a sense that it is less interesting than the MSc. I'd definitely enjoy the MSt, but the MSc, based on the handbook etc, seems to be a unique course which would give me a chance to develop new skills and become a better historian overall, while the MSt is not so much unique as it is a chance to ensure I've got a solid foundation in European history and the Enlightenment period, before I continue on to doctoral work.

Also, I have different dissertation topics for both degrees and I love them both so it's kind of hard to decide even between them.

At least, that was my reasoning for applying to both. I'm planning on discussing it with some professors I know in the field of study I want to continue in to see which degree is better preparation for future work in the field.

But, from your comment, it seems you've had some experience with the program? Would you mind if I picked your brain about it a bit over PM?
Hi all ! I along with my spouse has been accepted for our DPhil's in Chemistry at University of Oxford for the term beginning in October 2018.

We are looking for couple accommodation options and would prefer college accommodation. When checking the map we realized that most of the colleges near the chemistry research lab provide couple accommodation far away from our labs.

We would like to get some suggestions on the most suitable colleges we could talk to on this regard.

Thanks a lot!

I imagine the only thing you can do is wait for your college offers to come through, and take it from there. I'm afraid, in terms of which college takes you, the matter is completely out of your hands. I imagine whichever college(s) give you and your spouse an offer is quite likely to have some couples accommodation available which you can request once you have an offer from the college. (I don't know how it works everywhere, but Magdalen have sent me a form to fill in expressing if I would like accommodation and if so, what sort of cost am I able to pay).

If you and your spouse end up at different colleges this probably isn't a problem, because couples accommodation tends to be available to couples even if only one of you is studying at the college in question. In that situation I imagine the two of you could decide which college's accommodation you would rather live in and request couples accommodation there.

In terms of proximity to the CRL however, you will have to go along with whatever your colleges have to offer, and that might mean living slightly further out of town.

Congratulations on the offers by the way! :smile:
Original post by 62442fanatic
Well, the reason I applied for the MSc is actually because I've never done economic history, but I think it would be beneficial for me for future study. My dissertation topic would still be social history, and there are several options courses which would be really aligned with my interests, but I'd also learn about economic history techniques/quant analysis.

On the other hand, for the MSt, I'm a) still working on the language I'd be doing primary source work with, and a little worried I wouldn't be ready for the research and b) just get a sense that it is less interesting than the MSc. I'd definitely enjoy the MSt, but the MSc, based on the handbook etc, seems to be a unique course which would give me a chance to develop new skills and become a better historian overall, while the MSt is not so much unique as it is a chance to ensure I've got a solid foundation in European history and the Enlightenment period, before I continue on to doctoral work.

Also, I have different dissertation topics for both degrees and I love them both so it's kind of hard to decide even between them.

At least, that was my reasoning for applying to both. I'm planning on discussing it with some professors I know in the field of study I want to continue in to see which degree is better preparation for future work in the field.

But, from your comment, it seems you've had some experience with the program? Would you mind if I picked your brain about it a bit over PM?

Sure! I did the MSt and a good a good friend did the MSc so I can probably answer any questions you have!
Original post by hungdari
hey congratulations on your offer! I also applied for DPhil in chemistry for the January deadline but have heard nothing from the department or my potential supervisor. Did you apply in november?

You are not the only one! Although I know several people who already got accepted. I applied for DPhil in Inorganic Chem before Jan deadline. Emailed PI and he said “Funding is extremely tight this year at Oxford” but he will see what kind of funding available and get back to me. Fingers crossed for all Chem Applicants.
Original post by Sociologique
Is anyone aware of what happens to applications put on re-evaluation for the March deadline?? It’s pretty scary here so please clarify.

I also was pushed back to March deadline re-evaluation. My assumption is that they will take another 8-10 weeks, so we should expect to find out in May, and feel lucky if we hear back any sooner than that.
Original post by louiseyd
I also was pushed back to March deadline re-evaluation. My assumption is that they will take another 8-10 weeks, so we should expect to find out in May, and feel lucky if we hear back any sooner than that.

Which programme??
Hi Everyone. I've applied for the MSc in Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, with Wolfson as my first college choice. I have a 1st LL.B in International and EU Law from a Russell Group Uni but my transcript is a complete mess because i had cancer in my first year and had a fair amount of delayed exams which i explained in my statement, i'm currently an LL.M Candidate in International Law with some 3rd sector and field experience. What do you reckon my chances are? looks like most applications have a ton more professional experience than me. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Also i have applied for www.emmir.org and www.nohanet.org and the MPhil in Human Rights at Oslo!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Movingforward
Hi Everyone. I've applied for the MSc in Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, with Wolfson as my first college choice. I have a 1st LL.B in International and EU Law from a Russell Group Uni but my transcript is a complete mess because i had cancer in my first year and had a fair amount of delayed exams which i explained in my statement, i'm currently an LL.M Candidate in International Law with some 3rd sector and field experience. What do you reckon my chances are? looks like most applications have a ton more professional experience than me. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Also i have applied for www.emmir.org and www.nohanet.org and the MPhil in Human Rights at Oslo!

Hi! I also applied to Refugee and Forced Migration Studies . . . and if it makes you feel any better, my background is much less impressive. I did have a 4.0/4.0 GPA in undergraduate, but my major was English Literature. I have an MFA in Poetry. I work as a college lecturer (I teach writing and literature courses). I intend to move away from creative writing and write in the field of Human Rights / Immigration, and I have an offer at Sciences Po in Paris for their Human Rights program. I'd love, also, to do these studies at Oxford, but I'm not sure how Oxford feels about folks changing disciplines--I'm hoping they value academic potential as much as experience in the field. We'll see. Fingers crossed that bright and early on Monday we'll have our answers.
Original post by hungdari

Hi there,

Nope we applied for the January deadline. What was the programme you applied for (Inorganic/Organic)?
Original post by MexicanKeith
I imagine the only thing you can do is wait for your college offers to come through, and take it from there. I'm afraid, in terms of which college takes you, the matter is completely out of your hands. I imagine whichever college(s) give you and your spouse an offer is quite likely to have some couples accommodation available which you can request once you have an offer from the college. (I don't know how it works everywhere, but Magdalen have sent me a form to fill in expressing if I would like accommodation and if so, what sort of cost am I able to pay).

If you and your spouse end up at different colleges this probably isn't a problem, because couples accommodation tends to be available to couples even if only one of you is studying at the college in question. In that situation I imagine the two of you could decide which college's accommodation you would rather live in and request couples accommodation there.

In terms of proximity to the CRL however, you will have to go along with whatever your colleges have to offer, and that might mean living slightly further out of town.

Congratulations on the offers by the way! :smile:

Thank you very much!

We are looking at other graduate accommodation options (http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/graduateaccommodation/lookingforaccommodation/) at the moment as well. Does it make sense to apply for them, given that we have not still secured college accommodation? And if so, given that we both are pursuing graduate studies in chemistry, could you suggest us a few places where we should apply (Alan Bullock Close/Castle Mill etc.)?

Thank you very much for your help!
I know that there might be tons of stories similar or perhaps equal to mine but I still feel the need to share my feelings and thoughts about it. I have been an exceptional student all my life, in other words, a nerd. I graduated with honours from every school I attended and from my point of view, it did not require too much effort, I just simply followed the rules and, of course, I enjoy studying and learning new things. I decided to pursue a doctoral degree since I want to do something for my workplace and the people that work with me. I made a very extensive online search looking for potential supervisors and I found someone whose profile was very ideal for my future research and my current experience. What I did not know, and this might sound unbelievable, is that this person belongs to the University of Oxford. I was like, fu… why this school. I do not have anything again this school, but I know that the admission process is stressful and time-consuming. However, I said to myself that I did not have anything to lose since I have all the scores they were asking for. So, the first thing I did was to contact the supervisor, he replied with what I consider a letter template that he probably uses with everyone. Anyway, the email was just a reminder of how competitive the university is and all the scores needed to be considered for a position there. I decided to send my CV and my research proposal to him and then formalise my application with the university. I got an email from him telling me that he was intrigued and wanted to know more about my research. Well, nothing pleases you more than hearing that from the person you want to work with. Obviously my expectations skyrocketed since that is one of the key factor in getting accepted. I had an interview and it was very amiable. They did not ask difficult questions, they just wanted to confirm their doubts about my research. However, at the end of the interview they mentioned that some faculty members were retiring and the university will not be able to take the same number of students they take every year, every single teacher was incredibly busy with their students plus those students from the retiring staff. This was hard to digest since they basically told me that they did not know what was going to happen with my application plus they were joining a strike action for 14 days. Well, first, why they do not let you know that before taking your money, time, and peace of mind. I counted every single day to find out later that I was rejected and no feedback was available. They say you can ask for feedback but my rejection letter says they will not give you a feedback regarding the results of your application. What is the meaning of that? Does that mean that I was rejected because of lack of staff? During the interview they even suggested a person from another university who was willing to work with me. And in fact, when I contacted this person, she told me my acceptance would be straightforward. So I want to believe that they really were impressed with my research proposal but they could not offer me a position so they sent me to another person. I mean this is good but at the same time it is not because they have not been honest about the university procedures. At least they should let you know the truth so you can move on. It is simple to say: we do not have enough places this year, try next year but no, they will not do that because it is a famous school and it seems to be corrupted like many others.

I guess that if I accept the offer with the professor they suggested I might get closer to the Oxford supervisor and maybe I would find out the truth about my rejection. However, again, I still think this is not fair and they should provide you with an answer, especially when you are a grown-up professional.

My advice for others trying to get into Oxford is: try to apply to different universities at the same time and do not waste your time and energy applying to a university that might reject you without an explanation besides making you feel frustrated about failing.
What do you all know about St Antony's College?
I got an offer of a place for the DPhil in Medieval & Modern Langs this week. Absolutely chuffed! Good luck to all other applicants.
Roll on October.
Thank you very much!

We are looking at other graduate accommodation options (http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/graduateaccommodation/lookingforaccommodation/) at the moment as well. Does it make sense to apply for them, given that we have not still secured college accommodation? And if so, given that we both are pursuing graduate studies in chemistry, could you suggest us a few places where we should apply (Alan Bullock Close/Castle Mill etc.)?

Thank you very much for your help!

I hadnt even considered university accommodation (as opposed to college accommodation)

I dont know much about the various options, but from the map several options seem to be close to the lab. There are several options in Jericho (this is a short walk from the lab, and one that I've made many times).

I think, were I in your situation, I might still wait for college offers (which ought to come through soon, given that you already have departmental offers) to see what the colleges can offer in the way of accommodation. Then, if none of the college based accommodation is what you're looking for, you could go for some of the university owned accommodation.

It's entirely up to you though :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending