The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who had to wait or who's waiting for re-evaluation knows how long that usually takes?

I was sent an email a while ago saying that I would be re-evaluated against applications received in March (I applied before January) and I'm starting to get nervous about the wait.
(edited 6 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I am a bit confused by Clarendon process. I assumed that a division would decide on their awards collectively. Based on some odd confirmations of awards for Social Sciences (Sociology on Cambridge thread, Anthropology on Gradcafe), it seems like the division has already met and made their decisions. When I called my department today, they said they expect an outcome in two weeks...
Original post by LandDoc
I am a bit confused by Clarendon process. I assumed that a division would decide on their awards collectively. Based on some odd confirmations of awards for Social Sciences (Sociology on Cambridge thread, Anthropology on Gradcafe), it seems like the division has already met and made their decisions. When I called my department today, they said they expect an outcome in two weeks...

wow.. is that geography? and for clarendon specifically, or just funding in general? did they give you any info on whether you were nominated? I'm waiting on esrc aswell, but not sure if i have been nominated for either. Better hurry up and wait... Good luck!
Original post by geophd
wow.. is that geography? and for clarendon specifically, or just funding in general? did they give you any info on whether you were nominated? I'm waiting on esrc aswell, but not sure if i have been nominated for either. Better hurry up and wait... Good luck!

yep, geography. I'm not nominated for ESRC, so it's Clarendon.

I am also assuming that this is pretty much an indication of being unsuccessful, because I can't see why scholars in one division would hear so much time apart.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by miguelsm95
Anyone who had to wait or who's waiting for re-evaluation knows how long that usually takes?

I was sent an email a while ago saying that I would be re-evaluated against applications received in March (I applied before January) and I'm starting to get nervous about the wait.

Am too in re-evaluation. Which course btw?
Hi

Anyone got a college offer from Jesus yet? And any Social Data Science offerholders heard back re colleges?
Original post by LandDoc
yep, geography. I'm not nominated for ESRC, so it's Clarendon.

I am also assuming that this is pretty much an indication of being unsuccessful, because I can't see why scholars in one division would hear so much time apart.

I think that lots of different people are involved in these processes, both at departmental and more central levels - delays from any one person in the chain (which are highly likely given the strike action) can really slow things down. It's definitely confusing (and annoying), but I don't think that not hearing anything YET is a sign that you've been unsuccessful for funding. Even looking at previous years (when we didn't have strike action), the Clarendon awards were handed out over a relatively extended period (through to early April). You know you've been nominated, so don't give up hope yet :smile:
still waiting for DPhil Archaeology... any other dphils?
Original post by Sociologique
Am too in re-evaluation. Which course btw?

Film aesthetics, what about you? Are you hopeful about this re-evaluation thing? Because I have no idea how it works, how many people go through it...
Original post by Jamstar
I think that lots of different people are involved in these processes, both at departmental and more central levels - delays from any one person in the chain (which are highly likely given the strike action) can really slow things down. It's definitely confusing (and annoying), but I don't think that not hearing anything YET is a sign that you've been unsuccessful for funding. Even looking at previous years (when we didn't have strike action), the Clarendon awards were handed out over a relatively extended period (through to early April). You know you've been nominated, so don't give up hope yet :smile:

I know that those who have already been offered Clarendon have to accept or reject by April 9th, which probably means they'll wait until after that deadline to send out a second wave of acceptances!
Film aesthetics, what about you? Are you hopeful about this re-evaluation thing? Because I have no idea how it works, how many people go through it...

I applied to Msc Sociology. I’ve seen many getting rejected and some getting accepted after such a letter. So can’t really say. Did you get a separate paragraph cautioning you on funding??
Is there anyone from Medical Sciences Division who heard back about funding?
Original post by Caesar 09
Hi

Anyone got a college offer from Jesus yet? And any Social Data Science offerholders heard back re colleges?

I applied to Jesus too, still waiting though :/
Original post by Sociologique
I applied to Msc Sociology. I’ve seen many getting rejected and some getting accepted after such a letter. So can’t really say. Did you get a separate paragraph cautioning you on funding??

The official email from the department didn’t say anything about funding, but after I asked in another email, the graduate admissions office did warm me about the fact that I won’t be eligible anymore for scholarships available for the January deadline. Is it the same for you?
Original post by patty999
I know that those who have already been offered Clarendon have to accept or reject by April 9th, which probably means they'll wait until after that deadline to send out a second wave of acceptances!

Based on what I know from the English department I think this is would be a pretty logical step - basically they wait to see who will accept the offer/who will go to Princeton/Harvard/Stanford/Cambridge/LSE etc and then re-allocate the funding that is not accepted to those on the reserve list.
The official email from the department didn’t say anything about funding, but after I asked in another email, the graduate admissions office did warm me about the fact that I won’t be eligible anymore for scholarships available for the January deadline. Is it the same for you?

The para on funding was in my letter. This may be due to different formats followed by different departments. I saw the an applicant on the student room who was put into re-evaluation with no para on funding. That thread is 4-5 years old. I asked just out of curiosity nothing else.
Is there anyone who applied by the November deadline and has not been allocated a college yet (like me :smile: )?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MickeyOllyLee
I applied to Jesus too, still waiting though :/

The wait is so annoying 😔
Original post by Caesar 09
The wait is so annoying 😔

I know... Is there a particular reason why you applied for jesus?
Hi, got an offer for Mphil Econ, aanyone know how long college offers usually take? been about 2 weeks and heard nothing. Chose Magdalen as my preferred

Latest

Trending

Trending