off-campus accomodation: Hatfield or somewhere else?

Watch
Rex-rex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello people,

I'm starting uni (PG) in Herts in September and now looking for a place to live. I would like to get a one bedroom flat with my boyfriend. I visited Hertfordshire once and we drove around Hatfield. I personally wasn't too impresses with Hatfield as a city and I didn't get a strong desire to live there. I'm sure there are nice areas but I would rather locate to St Albans.

That being said. I read on one of these forums that living in Hatfiels is significantly more convinient. Also that the public transportation is not reliable. So my question is that is teh public transportation reliable? Is it inconvinient to live in St Albans? Did I get a completely wrong idea of Hatfield and I should reconsider moving there?

Any advice and experiences would be appreciated?
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey again Rex!

I'm going to be brutally honest with you here, as I think it'll be more useful.

The University accommodation is pretty nice and modern so I generally don't hear many complaints about that. Hatfield itself has some lovely areas BUT also some pretty grim ones. If you can get yourself a place in one of the nicer area's I'd say go for it as it'll be very convenient to get to campus.

Regarding public transport. The train links to Hatfield are generally very good. You can get into London quickly and conveniently, along with one side of Hertfordshire. The bus service, is "ok". Around campus and Hatfield I'd even rate it as excellent. But, travelling between towns (the further you go), the more patchy it becomes.
I don't think you'll have too much trouble travelling from St Albans however. It's very close. The only issue I'd imagine would be traffic at peak times.

I also really like St Albans as a place. It has great shops, green spaces, culture and nightlife.

I hope this helps a little bit!

All the best,

David
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads