The Student Room Group

Curios about times for maths.

I've done GCSE maths and I'm looking at a grade 8 but I did it at school in 2 years -year 10-11. But I was wondering how long would it take to actually learn every thing in the syllabus to a grade 9 standard? would it really take 2 years? when I say learn I mean properly understand everything and be able to apply it ie. know the subjet (at GCSE level) inside and out.
Original post by TheNumbere
I've done GCSE maths and I'm looking at a grade 8 but I did it at school in 2 years -year 10-11. But I was wondering how long would it take to actually learn every thing in the syllabus to a grade 9 standard? would it really take 2 years? when I say learn I mean properly understand everything and be able to apply it ie. know the subjet (at GCSE level) inside and out.

It all depends on where you start from. If you started from where you are now it wouldn't take long if you were dedicated, whereas thrying to teach an average year 7 if they weren't particularly bothered about it could easily fill the 2 years.
Personally, I'd say I understand upwards of 95% of the syllabus inside out and it definitely didn't take me 2 years, or particularly hard work. And that was in a class of 32-33 having maybe 3 hours a week in term time only.
121 would also be much faster as you work at the student's pace.
So basically there's a lot of factors involved, and it could easily take less or more than 2 years!

Quick Reply

Latest