The Monk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically I`m a 2nd year going into 3rd year and this summer I`ve just felt constant anxiety over how my CV will look when I graduate and how hard it`ll be to find a job when I graduate.
The only work experience I have was 8-9 months as a clerk at a law firm during my gap year before uni. This was full-time 40 hours a week for the first 6 months then part-time the remaining months. In addition that same year I did a week surveying for an architect planning a new building (connected to the law firm, they recommended me for it otherwise I wouldn`t have known about it). Even though it wasn`t the traditional gap year I felt I needed some experience and most importantly some money and I was pretty pleased with this.

However, I feel as though I`m in a state of panic. I didn`t get a part time job in my first year of uni as I was worried it would be a distraction and despite looking this year I ended up not getting one again as there wasn`t a lot around that was suitable and I also didn`t have too much time with a pretty demanding workload. This summer going into third year, I`ve been looking all summer for part time local jobs but haven`t heard back from anything. I only left uni mid-June and no one seems to want to hire you if you only have 2 and half months to work. Furthermore, I can`t really find any jobs to go back to uni with, I know someone who works in the library there and that would be ideal but there`s just no vacancies at the moment.

Sorry if this was a long post but I`m just freaking out a bit that there`s a big gap on my cv and was just wondering how damaging this will be when I graduate and start looking for proper jobs, will it not make much of a difference or am I kind of screwed?
Tubbz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No one is going to care that you focused on your studies. Employment gaps tend to be when you're between jobs, rather than you clerked for a bit, went to uni, and are now looking for a job.
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not looking great, I'm afraid. When you get back to uni I suggest running for positions on the committees of the societies you are involved in, and also try and become a university ambassador or class representative. You need something other than your grades that shows that you haven't just been sitting on your backside whilst at uni.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It does depends on what type of career you are looking for after you graduate. You do have some work experience, but not a lot. For the next year, I would try to concentrate on getting more relevant work experience, getting involved with volunteering or extra-curricular activities or casual work, if you can arrange it around your studies. It will massively improve your chances of getting a role you are wanting. You still have time before you graduate so don't worry too much!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Monk)
Basically I`m a 2nd year going into 3rd year and this summer I`ve just felt constant anxiety over how my CV will look when I graduate and how hard it`ll be to find a job when I graduate.
The only work experience I have was 8-9 months as a clerk at a law firm during my gap year before uni. This was full-time 40 hours a week for the first 6 months then part-time the remaining months. In addition that same year I did a week surveying for an architect planning a new building (connected to the law firm, they recommended me for it otherwise I wouldn`t have known about it). Even though it wasn`t the traditional gap year I felt I needed some experience and most importantly some money and I was pretty pleased with this.

However, I feel as though I`m in a state of panic. I didn`t get a part time job in my first year of uni as I was worried it would be a distraction and despite looking this year I ended up not getting one again as there wasn`t a lot around that was suitable and I also didn`t have too much time with a pretty demanding workload. This summer going into third year, I`ve been looking all summer for part time local jobs but haven`t heard back from anything. I only left uni mid-June and no one seems to want to hire you if you only have 2 and half months to work. Furthermore, I can`t really find any jobs to go back to uni with, I know someone who works in the library there and that would be ideal but there`s just no vacancies at the moment.

Sorry if this was a long post but I`m just freaking out a bit that there`s a big gap on my cv and was just wondering how damaging this will be when I graduate and start looking for proper jobs, will it not make much of a difference or am I kind of screwed?
You don't have a gap on your CV as you've been in education the whole time. Employers don't look to see that uni students got a part time job every summer. What they do look for however is some work experience, the more relevant the better. You've got the gap year job which is great but it would be even better if you could get some experience relevant to the job you want to do post uni.
roflcakes1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
You don't have a gap on your CV as you've been in education the whole time. Employers don't look to see that uni students got a part time job every summer. What they do look for however is some work experience, the more relevant the better. You've got the gap year job which is great but it would be even better if you could get some experience relevant to the job you want to do post uni.
It's probably true that employers don't necessarily expect you to have had a different job every summer, but a lot of students will have done this. Myself and most my friends worked every summer whilst at uni, normally whilst also being involved in societies or other volunteering roles. And these are the people you'll be up against when applying for jobs.

They will expect you to have done something during your degree. It's probably better for you to focus instead on getting involved in a society in a role with some level of responsibility or a volunteering or other work experience role while at uni rather than a part time job. And you can always look for internships for next summer. In the meantime I'd focus on getting work experience (unfortunately this would probably be unpaid) through speculative applications for this summer. And this way you can make it relevant to what you want to do in future - 2 weeks work experience at a relevant organisation + a position in a relevant society is worth far more than a few months in a retail role. You've already got some things from your gap year so being able to secure these types of roles shouldn't be too difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
36.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
18.18%

Watched Threads