The Student Room Group

I don't believe in Islam like I used to

I still believe in Allah swt but I don't believe in any of Islams teachings. Like, I believe the be kind to your neighbors stuff, but there are just so many things I don't believe in and can't follow anymore. I don't want to officially 'leave' Islam, because I still do believe that God exists. But at the same time, I don't want to follow these customs anymore. I used to pray 5 times a day, but I don't anymore, because I just feel like.. why? What's the use? It doesn't make me feel any different. Some days I will pray so I can feel better, and I'll continue doing that, praying when I want to, but I just don't find it necessary 5 times a day and stuff.
I wanna know if anyone feels the same way. What was your course of action?
I think I've been reluctant to admit this for a long time because I always feel like something bad will happen. But at the end of the day, that's down to generally what happens in the world, not God, right? :/

Scroll to see replies

I have left Islam and all religion. I used to feel just like you and then I just decided to researchmore about islam and its beliefs and other abrahim religions' beliefs and then i left Islam... such cruelty goes on in the world and I find it hard to believe there is a God up there... but He is not doing anything about it
I personally found peace in leaving but do whatever makes you happy, OP. :h:
Reply 3
Original post by whatfuture
I still believe in Allah swt but I don't believe in any of Islams teachings. Like, I believe the be kind to your neighbors stuff, but there are just so many things I don't believe in and can't follow anymore. I don't want to officially 'leave' Islam, because I still do believe that God exists. But at the same time, I don't want to follow these customs anymore. I used to pray 5 times a day, but I don't anymore, because I just feel like.. why? What's the use? It doesn't make me feel any different. Some days I will pray so I can feel better, and I'll continue doing that, praying when I want to, but I just don't find it necessary 5 times a day and stuff.
I think I've been reluctant to admit this for a long time because I always feel like something bad will happen. But at the end of the day, that's down to generally what happens in the world, not God, right? :/

I think I can relate to what you're saying. I used to strongly believe in God and pray 5 times a day, read Quran and generally abide by as much of the practices as I could.

But now I don't do any of that and I realise I don't believe in most of it anymore. I feel that what changed my religious identity was certain life events where I became depressed despite turning to God for help and always keeping on the 'straight path'. But I feel a lot better now doing what makes me happy and I don't understand why my God would want me to become depressed like I was again.
Original post by xylas
I think I can relate to what you're saying. I used to strongly believe in God and pray 5 times a day, read Quran and generally abide by as much of the practices as I could.

But now I don't do any of that and I realise I don't believe in most of it anymore. I feel that what changed my religious identity was certain life events where I became depressed despite turning to God for help and always keeping on the 'straight path'. But I feel a lot better now doing what makes me happy and I don't understand why my God would want me to become depressed like I was again.

I'm glad to hear you're happy again. I definitely felt stronger and more secure after a while of leaving, too. :hugs:
Reply 5
Original post by xylas

If anything bad happens now, who do you turn to/how do you deal with it? I feel like one reason for me not leaving is because I don't know who I would turn to if I needed help, cause I still believe in God. Also Do you feel like anything bad happened to you when you left? Or am I being superstitious?
why are you telling us?
If anything bad happens now, who do you turn to/how do you deal with it? I feel like one reason for me not leaving is because I don't know who I would turn to if I needed help, cause I still believe in God. Also Do you feel like anything bad happened to you when you left? Or am I being superstitious?

Just because you believe in God doesn't mean that you still have to practise a specific religion. For example, although someone may refer to themselves as Christian, their beliefs may differ considerably from the Christian they stand next to. People pick and choose which teachings they wish to follow. I suppose you see the same within any religion to an extent which begs the question of whether these examples do belong to one religion, or many different ones with various beliefs chosen by their followers. I see nothing wrong with that so long as you still respect the basic teachings regarding morals, as that is their purpose.

As an atheist, I stand back and see all religions as very similar as they all teach basic morals and that a greater being sits behind those involved teachings. So long as you stick to the basic morals, what will God have to punish you for?

Personally, I believe that religions were created to guide believers when they came across something to be unsure of. I can understand the need to look up to someone for guidance every now and again, but I look up to family members and learn from the world around me for answers instead of praying.

Sorry about the essay... I hope you get the gist! TLDR: Believe what you like; that's what everyone else does.
Reply 8
Original post by orderofthelotus
I'm glad to hear you're happy again. I definitely felt stronger and more secure after a while of leaving, too. :hugs:

thanks, every day is different and I was generally happy for my upbringing as a Muslim but I'm definitely a lot happier than I was towards the end.

Those are of course personal questions but I would need to define what you mean by 'leaving'? For me, some close friends noticed quickly that I wasn't as religious as I was before and I told them I didn't believe in it now but that's about it. I haven't told my parents and there really isn't anything to tell.

I've always maintained that belief, identity and religion are very personal and of zero concern to anyone else.

Nothing noticeably 'bad' has happened in the last few years since I gradually stopped behaving/believing the way I used to. But I do understand this is a thought process that usually happens when one reconsiders their own personal beliefs and which I thought about a lot then but hasn't crossed my mind once since.
Reply 9
Thing is because you were raised with Islam, you feel bad for not praying because of your minds been programmed, it’s a guilt mechanism.

I still believe in god, not sure what religion I follow except the spiritual side of Buddhism (not it’s prophecies and gods though, just it’s teaching on life like how to be happy, connect with yourself, be calm, etc etc.). I grew up fairly non religious, although I did have Christian and Muslim influences, then at about 8 my mum converted to Islam (from a not bothered Shi’a to a fairly strict Sunni), I never enjoyed it. My dad wasn’t fond of it either, I’m glad for the happiness it’s given my mum but I struggle explaining to her that not everyone can find that happiness in the same place. I still respect the religion, it has its upsides and downsides although most people seem to only have knowledge on the downsides these days (they do somewhat outweigh the upsides).

So yeah, I think you just need to disconnect and find a purpose then see how you feel. I found it a lot easier when I moved in with my dad, there’s no religious influence so I was free to make my own choices - and I didn’t give up on Islam I gave it a try and studied it, that’s what ultimately made me realise I have no bond with it. Also not fond of most people in the Muslim community. I’ve always believed religion should enhance your life and not dictate it.

Maybe you could look at Ahmadiyya Islam. It's a lot more liberal, and less conformist.

I'm not a Muslim anymore. But, I believe in God. That being said you don't necessarily need to follow a particular religion if you still want to believe in God.
Which issues do you not believe in ?

First of all, you should know that these thoughts are from Satan (Shaitan).

Satan only whispers to those who are on the right path. Therefore, Satanic whispers show that what you are doing is right, by still holding tight to Islam.

Reject such thoughts and try to learn your deen so that you get stronger to face such thoughts.

Lead a normal life. Pay no attention. Even if the thoughts come a hundred times every minute, dont care. Ignore him.

Continue to ignore his whisperings.
This will insha'Allah disencourage the shaitan. His waswasa will in-sha-Allah gradually decrease. Even if it doesnt appear to decrease, dont care.
And put your trust in Allah. Sufficient is He for you. And He is the Lord of all things. Hasbi Allahu wa ni'mal wakeel.

Remember, Allah is the Rabb of everything, including the shaytan. So pray to Him. Whatever happens to you only happens by the permission of Allah, and if He wills Shaitan will not be able to harm you at all.
Don't think Allah doesn't know your condition. But Allah is testing you with this waswasa, and you MUST win this battle and pass this test.

Allah says (interpretation of the meanings):
And if an evil suggestion comes to you from Satan,
then seek refuge in Allah.
Indeed, He is Hearing and Knowing.
Verily, those who are Al-Muttaqun,
when an evil thought comes to them from Shaitan,
they remember (Allah), and (indeed) they then see (aright).
But (as for) their brothers
they (i.e. the devils) plunge them deeper into error,
and they never stop short.
(Surah A'raf 200-202)

Always remember that Islam is an easy and simple faith: there are no theological traps waiting to ensnare you here.

If the doubts persist, seek out the help of a well-respected, moderate and wise local scholar who can advise you specifically

If all of this does not work, remember that severe doubts are sometimes a symptom of a medical/psychological problem don’t be afraid to seek professional help.

Recite the Kalima, Sura al-Ikhlas and salawat on the Prophet (peace and blessings upon him and his family) in abundance BUT NOT because you feel you have fallen into disbelief, but rather to increase you in faith, surety and love of Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings upon him and his family).

This is a religion of mercy don’t ever despair of that mercy.
Original post by FluffyCherry

If all of this does not work, remember that severe doubts are sometimes a symptom of a medical/psychological problem don’t be afraid to seek professional help.

:confused:
Original post by kane21
Islam is cancer and you're starting to wake up from it. Good.

You clearly have absolutely no understanding of cancer, and its unimaginable impact and effect onto its victims. It changes their life forever and it's incredibly unforgiving.

Utter drivel. Next time, keep that ******** where the sun doesn't shine.
Reply 15
Original post by mil88
You clearly have absolutely no understanding of cancer, and its unimaginable impact and effect onto its victims. It changes their life forever and it's incredibly unforgiving.

Utter drivel. Next time, keep that ******** where the sun doesn't shine.

It's metaphorical. The effect of Islam to this world and what it's done to this planet is comparable to cancer.

Im sure the victims of 9/11 and 7/7 care about how I hurt your stupid feelings. Now **** off back to ISOC moslem.
Original post by kane21
It's metaphorical.

Doesn't change anything.

Original post by kane21

The effect of Islam to this world and what it's done to this planet is comparable to cancer.

Not presently - hence supports my original contention.

Original post by kane21

Im sure the victims of 9/11 and 7/7 care about how I hurt your stupid feelings.

I am speaking for a far greater volume of people.

It's always the same people who spew this drivel.
Original post by Golden State
Maybe you could look at Ahmadiyya Islam. It's a lot more liberal, and less conformist.

I'm not a Muslim anymore. But, I believe in God. That being said you don't necessarily need to follow a particular religion if you still want to believe in God.

ahmadis are not even muslims fam
no muslims recognise them as muslims

You can believe in God without forming part of any religion.
Original post by Anonymous
ahmadis are not even muslims fam
no muslims recognise them as muslims

Last I heard, it wasn't up to a muslim to decide who is or is not muslim. If you believe in the god of the Qur'an, ultimately you are muslim regardless of how you observe your faith.

Latest