The Student Room Group

Anyone else live in constant fear of getting points on their licence?

Ever since I passed my test 2 years ago it's been a constant obsession. I didn't actually get a speeding ticket until a few months ago which was for doing 35 in a 30 - completely my fault and it was because I wasn't concentrating. I did an awareness course - since then I've been petrified of being caught out. My job requires me to drive around a lot to new places and every day I get home and worry about where I may have accidentally gone 1mph over the limit or through an amber light that turned red. I've even gone back out to places to look at whether there are cameras there and watch cars driving past.

The minute I heard that you can have points for unsafe tyres I booked my car in for all 4 of them to be changed despite the fact all of them were still legal. I don't want to take any chances.

I'm now worried because I was driving on a motorway with variable speed limit yesterday and can't remember if I managed to slow down to 40mph - I had been driving for 4 hours and was exhausted and didn't react quickly enough.

My biggest fear is getting a driving ban, I need my car for work! It took me many many attempts to pass my test and I'd be devastated to lose it all. It's so easy to accidentally go over the limit by a few mph in places where you're not sure of the limit - I know it's no excuse but it just happens. But what can I do? I can't stop driving just because I'm scared of doing something wrong. I'm a very safe driver and if anything get teased for driving too slowly but it could still happen.
Maybe buy the TomTom satnav app on your smartphone as it has a database of speed cameras in the UK. I bought it because I am terrible with directions but the distinct beeping sound your phone makes when approaching a speed camera is always nice. Just be careful of your phone's data usage if you don't have a lot.

Also maybe plan journeys with this.
http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk
Reply 2
If you aren't capable of avoiding being caught, maybe don't speed?
Reply 3
I'd be more worried about accidents than points, if you're that exhausted on long journeys. Is there any way you could schedule in a break halfway through your drive? Just a couple of minutes for a cup of tea or something might help you to concentrate more and avoid those amber lights and speed limit problems.
Reply 4
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Ever since I passed my test 2 years ago it's been a constant obsession. I didn't actually get a speeding ticket until a few months ago which was for doing 35 in a 30 - completely my fault and it was because I wasn't concentrating. I did an awareness course - since then I've been petrified of being caught out. My job requires me to drive around a lot to new places and every day I get home and worry about where I may have accidentally gone 1mph over the limit or through an amber light that turned red. I've even gone back out to places to look at whether there are cameras there and watch cars driving past.

The minute I heard that you can have points for unsafe tyres I booked my car in for all 4 of them to be changed despite the fact all of them were still legal. I don't want to take any chances.

I'm now worried because I was driving on a motorway with variable speed limit yesterday and can't remember if I managed to slow down to 40mph - I had been driving for 4 hours and was exhausted and didn't react quickly enough.

My biggest fear is getting a driving ban, I need my car for work! It took me many many attempts to pass my test and I'd be devastated to lose it all. It's so easy to accidentally go over the limit by a few mph in places where you're not sure of the limit - I know it's no excuse but it just happens. But what can I do? I can't stop driving just because I'm scared of doing something wrong. I'm a very safe driver and if anything get teased for driving too slowly but it could still happen.

I don't understand how can you be living in constant fear of speeding.. yet manage to fail to slow down to 40, or stick within limits etc. Surely the fear would make you more switched on with regards to the speed you're going?

Variable speed limit sections of motorway show the limit in literally gigantic numbers on the gantries above the road, how could you possibly fail to slow down given how worried you are about speeding?

In any case I don't think constantly worrying while you're driving is a good thing. When driving you need to be relaxed, not to the point where you're not concentrating obviously but if you're constantly nervous it cannot be good for your concentration or decision making.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5

First off, you shouldn't be going through amber lights. Amber means stop, unless you've already passed the stop line or are unable (not unwilling) to stop in time.

Second, it sounds to me like you're not keeping an eye on your speedometer correctly. You should be checking it (along with your rear-view mirror) every few hundred metres, and adjusting your speed if necessary. You also should be paying more attention to the road signs - all speed limits and speed cameras will be clearly signposted, so there's no excuse for missing them really.

Whenever you're driving you should be aware of your bad habits, and consciously aim to correct them. This is the only way you can improve yourself, you won't be able to adjust your muscle memory otherwise.
Reply 6
does your car have cruise control?
Original post by Dez
First off, you shouldn't be going through amber lights. Amber means stop, unless you've already passed the stop line or are unable (not unwilling) to stop in time.

Second, it sounds to me like you're not keeping an eye on your speedometer correctly. You should be checking it (along with your rear-view mirror) every few hundred metres, and adjusting your speed if necessary. You also should be paying more attention to the road signs - all speed limits and speed cameras will be clearly signposted, so there's no excuse for missing them really.

Whenever you're driving you should be aware of your bad habits, and consciously aim to correct them. This is the only way you can improve yourself, you won't be able to adjust your muscle memory otherwise.

I don't intentionally drive through ambers but if there is a car right behind me I can't brake suddenly - the vast vast majority of the time I will slam the breaks on (if safe) to avoid going through an amber. That's what I mean, I do drive safely but I have this crazy OCD around accidentally doing something wrong despite the fact I never really have (ok once but I was fully aware of that happening).

I check my speedo constantly, if anything too much. It's just a dial one and can change really quickly - it's hard to keep a steady speed going down a hill for example. I am always super careful but I don't know if it's just where I live but there are a lot of speed cameras everywhere and when I'm stressed because I'm in the wrong lane or lost it's a lot to have to focus on and sometimes I forget about the cameras.

Original post by stirkee
I don't understand how can you be living in constant fear of speeding.. yet manage to fail to slow down to 40, or stick within limits etc. Surely the fear would make you more switched on with regards to the speed you're going?

Variable speed limit sections of motorway show the limit in literally gigantic numbers on the gantries above the road, how could you possibly fail to slow down given how worried you are about speeding?

In any case I don't think constantly worrying while you're driving is a good thing. When driving you need to be relaxed, not to the point where you're not concentrating obviously but if you're constantly nervous it cannot be good for your concentration or decision making.

I know they were but they didn't give much warning and I was trying to get into the lane I needed to be in and got cut up by a car coming from the lane to the right so panicked and didn't check my speed. I'm sure it was down to 40 but what if it was just on 41..... no different in the eye of the law.

There's just so many "what ifs" with driving. For example there's a road I use every single day where it goes from 50mph to 30mph as it's approaching a set of lights. There are no camera signs and no visible cameras and absolutely no cars slow down. On the occasions I've slowed down to 30mph I've been beeped at, sworn at and flashed. It doesn't help that at that point I need to get into the right hand lane so I'm in the correct position at the lights. Now nothing has ever happened but imagine there was a police car with a speed gun? I'd be caught out. It's these sort of situations that worry me too - any tiny slip up could cost me my licence and job.
I may have accidentally gone 1mph over the limit

They won't bother with this even if you're caught, which would generally only be if you didn't see everyone slow down for the giant bright yellow box anyway.

or through an amber light that turned red.

Don't do this but don't worry about it either, traffic light cameras are rare. Every day I see maybe three cars sneak through a just-turned-red light when they should stop and I'm pretty sure none of them ever face consequences.

The minute I heard that you can have points for unsafe tyres I booked my car in for all 4 of them to be changed despite the fact all of them were still legal.

Not that bad an idea if they were almost not legal tbh, don't want to be driving on crappy tyres.

Again, if there are cameras, there are signs indicating this fact all over the place. If there aren't, don't lose any sleep over it.

I'm not really sure what to say to this, other than it really doesn't sound like you're very likely to get points, and if you do it's really not the end of the world.
Reply 9

buy a snooper they know where all the cameras are in the country
Reply 10
Driving anxiety is real, especially after getting a ticket. I did a similar awareness course, and it messes with your head, right? The constant worry sucks. I've found some peace using apps that show speed limits in real-time, helps me stay on top of things.
Reply 11
Original post by bolox12357
buy a snooper they know where all the cameras are in the country

Your advice is a bit late…this post is 6 years old!

Latest