How hard is it to get an A in A level French

Watch
unhappystudentx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently debating whether to do A Level French or maths. I like them both and I think I'm of the same ability in both maths and French. Something that's putting me off a level French is that I'm worried I won't be able to get a high grade and maths seems like a safer option. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated
frostfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by unhappystudentx)
I'm currently debating whether to do A Level French or maths. I like them both and I think I'm of the same ability in both maths and French. Something that's putting me off a level French is that I'm worried I won't be able to get a high grade and maths seems like a safer option. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated
Depends on what your other A Level subjects are. Maths is always a safe option though, it's intellectually stimulating and universities love this subject. I don't believe it's too hard to get an A in A Level Maths, so long as you do lots of practice and exploit past papers. I'm not sure about French though, sorry.
unhappystudentx
Rep:
?
(Original post by honour)
Depends on what your other A Level subjects are. Maths is always a safe option though, it's intellectually stimulating and universities love this subject. I don't believe it's too hard to get an A in A Level Maths, so long as you do lots of practice and exploit past papers. I'm not sure about French though, sorry.
They're biology and chemistry. Thanks
frostfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by unhappystudentx)
They're biology and chemistry. Thanks
Yes! Then definitely go with Maths! Biology + Chemistry + Maths is the perfect combo
Babyoleg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Jhst done A Level french and wouldn't recommend - so much ambiguity like no idea whether it's true or false. And even if you learn 10000000000 words they'll still throw in something you probably wouldn't even know in English. The french grade boundaries are also stupid high so it's really hard to get a good grade. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's very hard and you defo need to immerse yourself in the language
unhappystudentx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Babyoleg)
Jhst done A Level french and wouldn't recommend - so much ambiguity like no idea whether it's true or false. And even if you learn 10000000000 words they'll still throw in something you probably wouldn't even know in English. The french grade boundaries are also stupid high so it's really hard to get a good grade. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's very hard and you defo need to immerse yourself in the language
Thanks for the honest answer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.98%

Watched Threads