ALevelLad99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm currently interested at studying law at university and have narrowed my two top choices down to UCL and Oxford. Surprisingly, UCL require slightly higher grades than Oxford but obviously there is still pressure with interviews and Oxford prestige etc. I've got a few questions about both of them and if anyone had any experience it would be much appreciated:

1) Has anyone been to either UCL or Oxford to study law? How did you find it?
2) Is Oxford regarded as much better than UCL? After graduating I would like to potentially join a prestigious law firm and would Oxford give a better opportunity of doing this than UCL would?
3) I've done wider reading, work experience, visited the courts and done law courses with the Lawyer Portal - anything else you can think of putting on a personal statement? Will not doing an EPQ hurt me?
4) One thing that appeals about UCL is the opportunity to study abroad in New York or Sydney in the third year - would this be likely for most students or only the very best? If anyone has done law with a year abroad that would be great to hear.

Generally I think I'd prefer to go to UCL but in the long run if I somehow got an offer from both, would going to Oxford be much more beneficial for career paths? Thanks
AlexandraW96
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ALevelLad99)
Hi guys,

I'm currently interested at studying law at university and have narrowed my two top choices down to UCL and Oxford. Surprisingly, UCL require slightly higher grades than Oxford but obviously there is still pressure with interviews and Oxford prestige etc. I've got a few questions about both of them and if anyone had any experience it would be much appreciated:

1) Has anyone been to either UCL or Oxford to study law? How did you find it?
2) Is Oxford regarded as much better than UCL? After graduating I would like to potentially join a prestigious law firm and would Oxford give a better opportunity of doing this than UCL would?
3) I've done wider reading, work experience, visited the courts and done law courses with the Lawyer Portal - anything else you can think of putting on a personal statement? Will not doing an EPQ hurt me?
4) One thing that appeals about UCL is the opportunity to study abroad in New York or Sydney in the third year - would this be likely for most students or only the very best? If anyone has done law with a year abroad that would be great to hear.

Generally I think I'd prefer to go to UCL but in the long run if I somehow got an offer from both, would going to Oxford be much more beneficial for career paths? Thanks
Hello - think you commented on my thread, but my thread has some pointers for applying specifically to UCL if you want to have a read at my other answers.

Personally (and this is trying to not being biased) your biggest point of conflict might be just the difference in assessment. Oxford has all their law exams at the end of three years if I recall correctly. That is A LOT of exams. UCL do the standard final exams of the year every year (first year does not count to your final classification), with none of your essays during the year (apart from Jurisprudence in second year, and even then it's only 50% of a module) counting towards your grade. It's still exam based, but potentially a lot more manageable than Oxford.

Reputation-wise Oxford is still probably better, but quite marginally. A 1st from Oxford Law vs a 1st from UCL Law is impressive either way. Try to make your decision on other factors such as the city life, general vibe of the university and personal preferences. In the end, the grade you're going to get matters, and you can only do your best at a university you feel comfortable in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (275)
34.08%
No (532)
65.92%

Watched Threads