The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official BCU Clearing Thread for 2017

Hey guys!

This thread is your one-stop-shop to everything you need to know about Clearing.

Hopefully you’ll find the below tips useful but please feel free to ask any questions you might still have about the process. Or maybe you just want to let us know that you’re thinking of applying through Clearing, we’d love to hear from you! :h:

Clearing gives you the chance to find a full time undergraduate course to start this September, and did you know almost 65,000 students found a place through Clearing last year? So you definitely won’t be alone. :u:

Check out our quick video explaining Clearing: www.bcu.ac.uk/what-is-clearing-video

The FAQS

Who can apply through Clearing?

You might apply though clearing if…

You’ve decided to apply last minute

Your exam results aren’t as you expected

You’ve change your mind about the course you’ve applied for

Your exam results are better than you expected this is known as Adjustment

How do I find courses available in Clearing?

You can start searching now for what courses are available to apply for in Clearing and check their entry requirements. Most universities should have a list of courses available already.

You can find a full list of our courses in Clearing here: www.bcu.ac.uk/clearing-courses-list

If you already have your results and find a course you like, there’s no need to wait, you can apply online now.

How do I apply?

If you still need to wait until results day, check our website nearer the time for the number of our Clearing hotline which will be open from 6am on results day Thursday 17 August. All you have to do is give us a call, tell us what course you’d like to apply for and have 1) your UCAS ID number and 2) UCAS tariff points to hand. The important thing is to stay calm, lines might be busy but keep calling, and don’t worry, it’s not an interview or anything we just ask for a few details. If you struggle to get through on the phone, you can also get in touch with us via twitter @mybcu or Facebook /birminghamcityuniversity

What happens after you get an offer?

Clearing Offer.jpg

If you get an offer you’ll then get an email telling you what to do next to accept it. You’ll get more information later about what you need to do before starting in September, such as enrolment and student finance.

If you already have an offer from elsewhere, you’ll have to ask to be released from this offer before you can accept your new one.

If you’re still not sure if Clearing could be an option for you, check out some of our student stories and different scenarios of how they came through Clearing, and why not take our quiz? We all love a quiz :h: www.bcu.ac.uk/is-clearing-for-me

Still got questions? Drop a comment below!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, initially I had no idea what I wanted to study at University but then decided on a course and have received an unconditional offer from BCU. However, now after doing a lot of research and speaking to a neighbour who is a midwife I really want to study midwifery with BCU but the course is full then i also tried child nursing which is also full 😭😭😭 I have studied the suitable subjects and predicted grades for the course, so stressed out is there any possible way for me get into this course, as I cannot take a gap year due to personal circumstances HELP! 😭😭😭Your feedback will be extremely helpful thankyouu.
(edited 6 years ago)
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Ann241
Hi, initially I had no idea what I wanted to study at University but then decided on a course and have received an unconditional offer from BCU. However, now after doing a lot of research and speaking to a neighbour who is a midwife I really want to study midwifery with BCU but the course is full then i also tried child nursing which is also full 😭😭😭 I have studied the suitable subjects and predicted grades for the course, so stressed out is there any possible way for me get into this course, as I cannot take a gap year due to personal circumstances HELP! 😭😭😭Your feedback will be extremely helpful thankyouu.

Hey Ann241,

Really sorry but both midwifery and child nursing are already full and not available in Clearing as they're both very popular courses. However we do have other health and nursing courses available that might interest you? If it's nursing you really want to do, we still have places available in Adult Nursing, Mental Health Nursing or Learning Disability Nursing.

You can find out more about those courses here.

If you would like to apply for one of the nursing courses, please be aware that they fill up quite quickly, if you already have your results you can apply online through the course page, or if you're still waiting for results I'd suggest calling our Clearing Hotline first thing on the morning of results day - we'll be on the phones from 6am.

What course is your unconditional offer for? If it's a similar course to what you're wanting to change to, it could also be worth speaking to our admissions team about your offer, you can email them at [email protected]

I hope this helps and let us know how you get on!

Thanks,
Lydia
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi I applied through clearing using the online apply button 1 week ago, roughly how long before I get a reply or will it be after results day?
Original post by Student121231234
Hi I applied through clearing using the online apply button 1 week ago, roughly how long before I get a reply or will it be after results day?

Hey!

Admissions will be dealing with it but are super busy at the moment. I'd suggest trying to call our enquiries team and they should be able to explain whether they can look at your offer or have to wait until results day on Thursday. You call call them on 0121 331 5595.

If they tell you to wait until Thursday, you can find out exactly how to apply on our website here.
Reply 5
Hi, I am currently enrolled at another university and have just finished first year. After completing the first year I feel as if this course and career path are not for me. Can I still apply through clearing for another course at BCU. Thanks
As a mature student, other institutions in the West Midlands haven't been very receptive with the idea of me returning to education to study law. This is mainly down to the fact it's been 20 years since I've attended any formal education. Firstly, is it really that much of an issue,? As I thought the idea of a mature student wasn't a New concept.Secondly, the main issue seems to be not having my certificates from 20 years ago, and my former school being unable to help. No one has really been able to give me advise except to resit my GCSEs.Finally, and more importantly, what is the attendance like for your HND Legal Studies course? Obviously I need to look at a work/study balance.Thanks you for you time.
Original post by Sid07
Hi, I am currently enrolled at another university and have just finished first year. After completing the first year I feel as if this course and career path are not for me. Can I still apply through clearing for another course at BCU. Thanks

Hi! Yes it will be possible to apply for a course here in Clearing! Take a look on our website to see which courses we have and then give us a call. If you have any other questions let us know :smile: Amanda BCU Team
Original post by Bearington
As a mature student, other institutions in the West Midlands haven't been very receptive with the idea of me returning to education to study law. This is mainly down to the fact it's been 20 years since I've attended any formal education. Firstly, is it really that much of an issue,? As I thought the idea of a mature student wasn't a New concept.Secondly, the main issue seems to be not having my certificates from 20 years ago, and my former school being unable to help. No one has really been able to give me advise except to resit my GCSEs.Finally, and more importantly, what is the attendance like for your HND Legal Studies course? Obviously I need to look at a work/study balance.Thanks you for you time.

Hi there! Thanks for your questions! We have quite a lot of mature students here at BCU so you'd fit right in. We'd definitely be able to look at your qualifications to see if they meet the entry requirements for the course. I recommend you give us a call today on 0121 331 6777 and you'll be able to chat to our lecturers in more detail about the course and your qualifications. Hope that helps! Amanda, BCU team
Hey!

If anyone who's applied through Clearing is still looking for accommodation, someone's looking to fill their room at Lyttleton House.
Check this thread for more details. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending