Merdan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I have a simple question that I will input the answer to my essay to strengthen a point that I mentioned. So it is not like a major homework that I am expecting help with...
The question is that how would knowing the geographical location(s) and the rate at which people are infected at different location(s) of a newly spreading virus (especially some type of influenza virus) would help health authorities; pharmacologists, microbiologists etc to tackle? Would it help them to develop strategies that would result in less infected people?
Last edited by Merdan; 1 year ago
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Merdan)
Hi I have a simple question that I will input the answer to my essay to strengthen a point that I mentioned. So it is not like a major homework that I am expecting help with...
The question is that how would knowing the geographical location(s) and the rate at which people are infected at different location(s) of a newly spreading virus (especially some type of influenza virus) would help health authorities; pharmacologists, microbiologists etc to tackle? Would it help them to develop strategies that would result in less infected people?
Knowing the geographical locations of a newly spreading virus can help us because we can pay close to attention to individuals retiring from areas where the virus was found or is spreading and can quarantine them if they seem to be showing symptoms.
Travellers to the area can be warned to take precautions or not go if it is not important.
The rate at which people are infected can help determine how contagious a virus such as influenza is.The faster a virus spreads can undermine to ability of a health system to respond and cope.
Knowing the rate can give you an idea of how many people will be infected and so the health system can prepare a response.
It can also give an idea to how to virus spreads .
A virus like Ebola can be spread via contact with bodily fluids,so it's spread was slow and limited to a few countries ,while something like influenza is airborne and spread around the world very quickly.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swine...s_20090511/en/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (89)
64.49%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35.51%

Watched Threads