The Student Room Group

New laptop

Hi there

I will be attending the uni of Lincoln in September 2017 doing an art based degree, I'm due in for a new laptop and thought this would be the right time to buy one that would carry me through my undergraduate years does anyone have any suggestions on which laptop is best. Keep in mind I'm paying for this myself so one that's also budget friendly

Thank you xx
Original post by moccha_goddess
Hi there

I will be attending the uni of Lincoln in September 2017 doing an art based degree, I'm due in for a new laptop and thought this would be the right time to buy one that would carry me through my undergraduate years does anyone have any suggestions on which laptop is best. Keep in mind I'm paying for this myself so one that's also budget friendly

Thank you xx

Hey there! What would be your budget?

Would you like this thread moved over to the Laptops forum for better responses?
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Hey there! What would be your budget?

Would you like this thread moved over to the Laptops forum for better responses?

Yeah is that possible sorry I'm new to the student room and I'm not sure how to work this. My budget is around like £400-600 but £600 is pushing it
Yeah is that possible sorry I'm new to the student room and I'm not sure how to work this. My budget is around like £400-600 but £600 is pushing it

Don't be sorry! This is what we're here for :h: Welcome to TSR! :jumphug:

Check out this laptop: link shortened

Spoiler

Anything in particular you plan to do with the laptop? Any preferable screen size
Original post by 0xFFFFail
Anything in particular you plan to do with the laptop? Any preferable screen size

The one I have currently is about a 15 inch screen so something similar to that and not anything out of the ordinary it will be used to pleasure (Netflix etc lol) as well as assignments. It's an art based degree so things of that nature xx
The one I have currently is about a 15 inch screen so something similar to that and not anything out of the ordinary it will be used to pleasure (Netflix etc lol) as well as assignments. It's an art based degree so things of that nature xx

Acer Swift £480

Intel Core i3 7100U dual core processor.

8GB RAM.

128GB SSD storage.

14 inch screen full HD 1920x1080 display

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6552624

HP Pavilion £500

Intel Core i5 7200U dual core processor.

8GB RAM.

128GB SSD storage.

https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-14-al106na-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-natural-silver/p3136749

I'd be going for the HP as it's only a little more and the CPU is a good 25% faster. Their storage is a little low I know but it's enough for Windows, Office, and a few other programs to fit on comfortably, you just won't get much in the way of a music or video library on it so I'd also invest in an external hard drive to go with it.

Sorry for the extremely late reply! I'll message you with my recommendations based on this info, should be cheaper than the ones so far
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Acer Swift £480

Intel Core i3 7100U dual core processor.

8GB RAM.

128GB SSD storage.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6552624

HP Pavilion £500

Intel Core i5 7200U dual core processor.

8GB RAM.

128GB SSD storage.

https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-14-al106na-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-natural-silver/p3136749

I'd be going for the HP as it's only a little more and the CPU is a good 25% faster. Their storage is a little low I know but it's enough for Windows, Office, and a few other programs to fit on comfortably, you just won't get much in the way of a music or video library on it so I'd also invest in an external hard drive to go with it.

Thank you so much xx

Quick Reply

Latest