Which University? Political Economy Masters Choice KCL vs University of Amsterdam

Watch
13lack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have been accepted to study the following masters programmes:

MSc Political Science : Political Economy - University of Amsterdam (UvA)

MA International Political Economy - Kings College London (KCL)

However, I am very torn between the two courses, Kings seems the more "prestigious" option and the more focused course, while Amsterdam would provide me with a network in Europe before we decide to stroll off the Brexit cliff. It would also give me the opportunity to experience academia/politics outside of the UK bubble.

My question is essentially, does anyone have an experience/knowledge about either of these two courses or universities? If so can they lend me any positives or negatives they would recommend I consider?

Thanks for the help.
Falen_Lacergarth
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would try to help even though it is a few months late. I can tell you about KCL but I'm not really acquainted with the universities in Holland.

KCL is one of the best universities in the world concerning Politics ,War studies and other courses concerning politics itself. It is situated in the centre of Europe's financial, political and economic centre -central London. Your tutors will be people who have worked for the government and you may also have guest world famous personalities like David Cameron , former Scotland Yard chiefs as well Intrepol agents.

Even though It is prestigeous, It's base and campus are really inconvinient because It's in central London, so your student life won't be that picturesque and easy. You have to cross large distances to get to a training facility . The city is one of the most urbanised areas in the world , so if you are someone who likes peace and quiet you will have hard time adapting. The price of living there can be up to 2-3 times higher than th price of living in Amsterdam , not to mention that some of It's accommodations are old buildings and if you have any alergies like dust for example It will have an affect on your health.

Overall i can finish by saying that if you want a more prestigeous and focused education , KCL is the better choice.
Jgradschool
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The University of Amsterdam is just as prestigious as KCL. Assuming you only have to pay the statutory fee for Amsterdam, you should probably go there. Holding the quality of education and life to be similar if not the same then it is preferable to go to the cheaper institution, which is Amsterdam. Obviously, you should assign some importance to your preferences in modules etc. but when the difference in cost is so big you should think about these things carefully.

My advice: Ceteris paribus go to Amsterdam

I have studied at KCL's Department of Political Economy and had lecturers from the University of Amsterdam so I can somewhat attest to the quality of education. Living in London currently and have lived in Rotterdam before so I know how different the cost of living is.
PostGrad221
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think that cost is a big factor here.

If Amsterdam is cheaper and more financially viable that may be the better option.

Of course, King's is more prestigious and it's in London. But it is also expensive.

If money isn't an issue and you want advice on the degree itself - King's is better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (404)
56.35%
I don't have everything I need (313)
43.65%

Watched Threads