gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is the better qualification to have? I know if the course is accredited by IBMS i can go on and get HCPC and work for NHS yet some universities are accredited by RSB and say that they offer a wider range of careers because it's not IBMS accredited.
Beyondbeing
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Hi
I'm doing RSB accredited degree but I want to work in the NHS as well so I'm not sure how this will work for me 👀😟or if I should do a transfer idk 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Beyondbeing)
Hi
I'm doing RSB accredited degree but I want to work in the NHS as well so I'm not sure how this will work for me 👀😟or if I should do a transfer idk 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure i know with IMBS if the course is applied you can pretty much work for NHS straight away whereas if it's not applied you can still work for NHS but it will be as a trainee
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
I'm not sure i know with IMBS if the course is applied you can pretty much work for NHS straight away whereas if it's not applied you can still work for NHS but it will be as a trainee
Firstly, RSB is a load of, well, you can guess. It means jack all.

Secondly, as always, so much misinformation about the IBMS and HCPC.

If you want to work in the NHS, the best route is the Practitioner's Training Program (BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science)). This is an IBMS-accredited course that will allow you to obtain HCPC registration WITHIN the 3 years of the course rather than an IBMS-accredited BSc Biomedical Science course where you will obtain a degree but will need to work in a non-registered role in the NHS and to spend 12-18 months doing your HCPC registration portfolio. Trainee BMS roles are rare and very competitive. A recent one at a laboratory in North Yorkshire gained 150+ applications from many very employable applicants. The vast majority do their HCPC portfolio whilst in a Band 2 role whereas graduates from the Healthcare Science course walk straight into Band 5 jobs. I myself was in a Band 5 job the day after finishing my course.

If you have a non-IBMS accredited degree then you will have to self-fund top-up modules and you are not qualified for a Trainee BMS role.

Note: Trainee BMS roles will require NHS laboratory experience, so you will have to enter via a Band 2 role to get to the Trainee BMS role. Those that don't specifiy that they require lab experience, as the recent one in North Yorkshire didn't, will use it to differentiate the applicants and, given the vast volume, will end up shortlisting purely those with experience.

Moral of the story - If you want to walk into a Biomedical Scientist job after university, study BSc Healthcare Science. A recent cohort from the degree at a certain University already have 100% employability with all of the students being in a Biomedical Scientist job, MSc or other postgraduate study. None have taken less than a graduate job or course.
hello12424
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
Firstly, RSB is a load of, well, you can guess. It means jack all.

Secondly, as always, so much misinformation about the IBMS and HCPC.

If you want to work in the NHS, the best route is the Practitioner's Training Program (BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science)). This is an IBMS-accredited course that will allow you to obtain HCPC registration WITHIN the 3 years of the course rather than an IBMS-accredited BSc Biomedical Science course where you will obtain a degree but will need to work in a non-registered role in the NHS and to spend 12-18 months doing your HCPC registration portfolio. Trainee BMS roles are rare and very competitive. A recent one at a laboratory in North Yorkshire gained 150+ applications from many very employable applicants. The vast majority do their HCPC portfolio whilst in a Band 2 role whereas graduates from the Healthcare Science course walk straight into Band 5 jobs. I myself was in a Band 5 job the day after finishing my course.

If you have a non-IBMS accredited degree then you will have to self-fund top-up modules and you are not qualified for a Trainee BMS role.

Note: Trainee BMS roles will require NHS laboratory experience, so you will have to enter via a Band 2 role to get to the Trainee BMS role. Those that don't specifiy that they require lab experience, as the recent one in North Yorkshire didn't, will use it to differentiate the applicants and, given the vast volume, will end up shortlisting purely those with experience.

Moral of the story - If you want to walk into a Biomedical Scientist job after university, study BSc Healthcare Science. A recent cohort from the degree at a certain University already have 100% employability with all of the students being in a Biomedical Scientist job, MSc or other postgraduate study. None have taken less than a graduate job or course.
Hi,

I have a question regarding choosing where to apply. I want to become a Clinical Scientist, or a job that is along the lines of that role - does this require an IBMS accredited degree for the same reasons you have listed above? Or will a RSB accredited degree suffice? I would prefer to save the hassle, and walk into a job at a higher band than starting down low as you had stated. I am applying in 2 days, and really hope you see this in time to give me some advice on this.

Anyways, thank you for your time
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hello12424)
Hi,

I have a question regarding choosing where to apply. I want to become a Clinical Scientist, or a job that is along the lines of that role - does this require an IBMS accredited degree for the same reasons you have listed above? Or will a RSB accredited degree suffice? I would prefer to save the hassle, and walk into a job at a higher band than starting down low as you had stated. I am applying in 2 days, and really hope you see this in time to give me some advice on this.

Anyways, thank you for your time
As stated, the only position that requires an IBMS accredited degree is to be a Biomedical Scientist. I'm assuming you've looked at the NHS STP entry requirements (if not, you should have) and you'll see what it specifies in terms of degree.

RSB means nothing. There's no difference between studying a RSB accredited course and a non-accredited course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads