The Student Room Group

KCL for investment banking????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timster32
A lot of luck is needed but try and get into as good a uni as possible, going to a target uni like Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/Warwick/UCL will give you a tiny advantage in getting an interview. Make your CV look really good so any insight days/internships/work experience/jobs should be included and whether they are relevant to finance or not, explain what you learned from them and how it would make you a good investment banker. Read Financial Times, Bloomberg, Investiors Chronicle. Follow the news and keep up to date with global issues especially markets. Ace interviews by knowing about the company and the division you want to apply to and why you want to be an investment banker/work for the company mostly. And ace tests, there are a few places you can use but I personally won't be buying any of that stuff.

Damn that all sounds kinda tough. How hard is it to get in? What % of people get in?
I think base salary is around 50k at most banks with a "golden handshake" off anywhere between 4 and 7k (again not 100% sure) and then a bonus in too of that so it could potentially be higher but we should focus on getting at least a Spring week first!

I think i just came
Original post by NeilsSister
Damn that all sounds kinda tough. How hard is it to get in? What % of people get in?

Yeah it's very hard to get in, are you at uni? I don't know the percentage of all applicants but it will be quite low. Just apply to everywhere and you have a chance of getting at least one offer.
I think i just came

Too early, wait till you become a banker.
Yeah it's very hard to get in, are you at uni? I don't know the percentage of all applicants but it will be quite low. Just apply to everywhere and you have a chance of getting at least one offer.

Nah but looking to go to Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL
Nah but looking to go to Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL

Are you in year 12? I got an offer from UCL so hopefully I get in.
Are you in year 12? I got an offer from UCL so hopefully I get in.

Indeed, nice one. I see it's Chem Eng, do the banks not care about the degree subject then?
Indeed, nice one. I see it's Chem Eng, do the banks not care about the degree subject then?

Yeah, do you wanna study chem eng? Nah they don't care at all as long as it's not too ridiculous.
Yeah, do you wanna study chem eng? Nah they don't care at all as long as it's not too ridiculous.

No idea right now timmyboy, btw how comes not Imperial/Oxbridge? Are all targets seen as equal
No idea right now timmyboy, btw how comes not Imperial/Oxbridge? Are all targets seen as equal

I'm not smart enough, yeah they're all equal.
wallstreetoasis.com

This is where the bankers hang out
Original post by CaiYu
Apart from those target schools, how is KCL compared with Durham, Edinburgh and Manchester for IB?

I chose Bsc Computer Science with Management in KCL over Bsc Finance in these three unis months ago because of location and world ranking. And I think I kinda regret now...I don't know if its a bad choice?

Tbh, I can't be bothered making a distinction between these unis anymore. They're all in the same semi-target bucket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL Vs Imperial for IB...
Discuss please

nah, i'm not gonna discuss because there is nothing to discuss about two target universities situated in London.

if you prefer the course/ academic environment or whatever in one over the other go there. ib should not be a deciding factor at all in this comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile

low to high tens of people out of low single digit thousands for spring. sub 100 per division out of tens of thousands for summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skyewoods
Cjef

cjef to you too
Original post by Princepieman
nah, i'm not gonna discuss because there is nothing to discuss about two target universities situated in London.

if you prefer the course/ academic environment or whatever in one over the other go there. ib should not be a deciding factor at all in this comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ib is probs what i want to do so it matters most to me, besides i like the academic environment/course etc in both
low to high tens of people out of low single digit thousands for spring. sub 100 per division out of tens of thousands for summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn, and so if you don't get into one of these... no IB?
damn, and so if you don't get into one of these... no IB?

no.

it's not a binary thing at all. it's literally like applying to any other job, if you're deemed fit for an interview (this is key, a non-target kid who networks and has a strong cv will get on whilst the target kid with **** all won't), you'll get an interview. From there tis all you, not your CV, not your uni.. you.
Original post by CaiYu
Well, should I risk my place in KCL for clearing to courses like Philosophy in Warwick? Is there a really huge difference between a non WBS course in Warwick and CS in KCL?
Or should I retake alevel and reapply for next year entry in LSE or UCL?Actually I have got a con offer from UCL but I am really afraid of not meeting the alevel condition. Is reapply worth it?Or should I just work hard and try to get spring insights etc while I am in KCL?

Do what you want to do bro, I'm not you.

if you want to take a year out, go for it (personally I would recommend doing so anyway + travelling/working on yourself by hitting the gym etc). It just seems that you're all over the place with what you actually want to study and where.
no.

it's not a binary thing at all. it's literally like applying to any other job, if you're deemed fit for an interview (this is key, a non-target kid who networks and has a strong cv will get on whilst the target kid with **** all won't), you'll get an interview. From there tis all you, not your CV, not your uni.. you.

I wasn't talking about unis. I will get into a target, I'm saying if you don't get into a spring week/summer week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending