xbeth_tx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've decided for my EPQ that I'm going to look into 'how would quantum mechanics allow us to develop new types of technology'.
1) is that a good question to use?
2) could I use data from already done experiments and apply them to possible future technologies, or would I have to conduct my own experiment, and if so how?
Mirele
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by xbeth_tx)
I've decided for my EPQ that I'm going to look into 'how would quantum mechanics allow us to develop new types of technology'.
2) could I use data from already done experiments and apply them to possible future technologies, or would I have to conduct my own experiment, and if so how?
1) It is quite broad! Technological implications could effect everything from healthcare to transport (I know nothing about quantum mechanics so I'm just speaking about scientific whatever in general). Is there an area there's going to be a lot of change in? You could ask: how will quantum chemistry effect x? Or what would be the implications of quantum computing? Or how could quantum mechanics effect *everyday* technology? Or you could do it based around time scale : how is the field of quantum mechanics expected to develop in the next decade?

2) if you are doing a dissertation, you don't usually do your own experiment!! It's necessary in fact to use as much useful data as possible to inform your EPQ, so you'll want loads of previous experiments !
srdavison123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by xbeth_tx)
Like previously said, that question seems quite broad, which my centre coordinator advised against along with the exam board. If you could turn the question somehow into more of a debate styled question, where you can apply research and results to answer a particular question, that'd help you.

As for your own data, I'd say go for it, primary data will help to enhance your EPQ tremendously and I know I was advised to try and do that. Despite this, you do still need to also include a variety of secondary source material (which you could also use to compare with your primary data) as you need to include a lot of referencing to fill the 5000 word guideline for the essay (I ended up with over 30+ references just for an idea). However, with some tweaks to your question and project, I'd say go for it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (45)
36.29%
No (65)
52.42%
I don't know (14)
11.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed