Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    I would ensure my children definately went to state primmary school so they did not turn out to be posh *****
    Would we have this much of a stigma then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeoplesPrincess)
    OUt of 14 years of education i spent 6 is Private schools and the other 7 in the state sector. I wouldn't send my children to a state school if i could help it. I know that sounds terrible but honestly, my experience of private school has been wholly better of that of the state system.
    I don't know where I would send my children. I had a wonderfull experiance at a normal primary school and then my local non selective comprehensive and I wouldn't have changed it for the world. I also know that my dad who spent his whole education is private schools hated it. I have friends who went to the same primary school as me and then went to a private school and they had a bad experiance and I have friends who went to different comprehensives and had worse experiances than me.

It all depends on the schools really. I would try to send my children to a state school but if the local state school was really bad then I would probably pay and send them to private school. But only as a last resort.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind if I ask why you preferred public school to state Peoplesprincess?

I was throughly miserable through most of my school career (at state school) because of bullying, but I still wouldn't change the education I recieved there for the world (I might have one or two of the teachers shot though :cool: ...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Would we have this much of a stigma then?
    no for the majority of ppl that attend private primmary schools i think it is fine however it does seem to breed some people who just dont appreciate what others have

ReputationRep:
    no for the majority of ppl that attend private primmary schools i think it is fine however it does seem to breed some people who just dont appreciate what others have
    What about secondary schools? When you considered your future (presumably) children's education how far in the future are you talking?

ReputationRep:
    What about secondary schools? When you considered your future (presumably) children's education how far in the future are you talking?
    when do i plan to have kids? no idea
    secoundary school, I am personally not sure, i think that my children should have some say in where they want to go, and I would want them to be happy and if that meant keeping them with their friends at a potentially worse school so be it
    From area to area the standard of state and private schools vary and I would try to send my child to the best possible school I could. Whether that be state or private is irrevelant to me.

ReputationRep:
    I would try to send my child to the best possible school I could. Whether that be state or private is irrevelant to me.
    This was the point I hoped you raised. My secondary school is not that brilliant but there weren't too much difference between it and other possible ones. It is even perhaps more important where our children go for post-16 studies. My college is much better than my secondary school's sixth form, and I'm not sure on national statistics but I'm thinking that perhaps FE colleges have a higher success rate than sixth forms.

ReputationRep:
    1) Class DOES make a difference and is an important measure of a social structure. it is NOT true to say my parents work therefore I am working class, life isn't that simple. I would also class myself as lower middle class as this denotes a certain level of education and wealth. I sometimes think people get confused between class and caste, we have the first system in the UK which means it is relitivly easy to move between groups and describes groups, whereas caste defines groups so people can't move around. I also accept that there are things which have a much larger influence on us than class, such as the actural parenting skills.
    Why not? If we all change our attitudes none of us would be in such a class orientated mess.

I mean maybe by rights I am LMC too, but how ****ing ridiculous. LMC, is a term by people who are working class (in the old system - class systems are wrong) but like to make themselves feel superior.

What next Upper, middle, lower, middle class...

2) Education means to draw out. Thus the aim of education should be to draw out a pupils ability. This is made harder by the constraints of state schools, particuly in comprehensive schools, but storng parenting and strong state schools will be able to over come this.
    Nice if you have strong parenting and a strong state school, eh? And even with strong parenting, it doesn't guarentee you a nice education.

3) Private schools often have their results inflated by 1) the fact that they can select a number of their pupils, which can also serve to diminish the results of other local schools (by taking people with more potential) and 2) people who can afford private schooling often also go for private tutorship (there was an article in the national Guardian the other week), so bad public schools can get good grades.
    The thing is someone who gets a 10C's in a comprehensive school could probably easily get 5A's and 5B's in a private school, for example - that doesn't seem quite fair. I agree with what you're saying about inflating results but even so they do get a better education.

4) Education is about so much more than grades. It is there to train us to socially fit in. Not straight through lessons, but by interacting with other people. This is why the comprehensive system is so imporant: it means that people can communicate with others from all levels of society, helping make sure that class does not turn in to the casam of caste. It is also why it is essentail that disabled children and younf g people should be taught in the same schools as everyone else as much as possible.
    Private school education doesn't train you to deal with smackheads etc. Private schools train you to fit in with people of your own kind, making the class system go around and around.

ReputationRep:
    some of us who went to private schools did do other things outside of shool you know

I am not going to try and justify this sentance with loads of rubbish about how i mixed with different groups as i dont feel i should have too. I personally feel i have meet many vaired people and yet had a private school education. Whether what you say is true as a generalistion is a better question, however it certainly isnt the rule.
    shame they didn't teach you grammer or spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    shame you feel the need to point out my dyslexia :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Actually sentences start with a capital letter and you might find the word is spelt grammar.

ReputationRep:
    Actually sentences start with a capital letter and you might find the word is spelt grammar.
    (you missed out a comma)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    People with no qualifications etc.
    Qualifications aren't a sign of education. They are a sign of a personal ability to jump through academic hoops like a little dog; nothing more.

I'm working on my 3rd degree but don't consider myself particularly well educated in a rounded sense of the word. Conversely, one could of course become the world's foremost expert in a whole range of subjects without formal qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    irrespective that toleration of the odd typo is certainly the etiquette on any forum, if they didnt teach him spelling, they certainly taught him manners in reply.

ReputationRep:
    not to mention that, despite some spelling errors, no grammatical flaws are particuarly evident in that post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Qualifications aren't a sign of education. They are a sign of a personal ability to jump through academic hoops like a little dog; nothing more.

I'm working on my 3rd degree but don't consider myself particularly well educated in a rounded sense of the word. Conversely, one could of course become the world's foremost expert in a whole range of subjects without formal qualifications.
    Yup qualifications dont necessarily mean education, something the current government would like everyone to forget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    (you missed out a comma)
    You might find there are situations where it's optional to use one or not, such as the above. Anyway....

ReputationRep:
    Eevn though it's possible to be badly educated AND have a degree it is next to impossible to be educated without one.

ReputationRep:
    I mean without having a degree that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian88)
    Eevn though it's possible to be badly educated AND have a degree it is next to impossible to be educated without one.
    Nonsense!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.