Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think your absolutely right amazingtrade, a childs life style can make all the difference but i still find it irritating that this in many circles makes them somewhat immoral!

Kids from private schools do tend to be more confident but i've met plenty of equally confident and more arrogant state school pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeoplesPrincess)
    I think your absolutely right amazingtrade, a childs life style can make all the difference but i still find it irritating that this in many circles makes them somewhat immoral!

Kids from private schools do tend to be more confident but i've met plenty of equally confident and more arrogant state school pupils.
    I don't mean to be pedantic but shouldn't "Peoples Princess" have an apostrophe somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The problem I am not totally against private schools (I would never send my kids to one) but at least you probably don't have to mix with low life scum who will probably live on the streets doing drugs all their life. I think they should bring back all grammer schools but get rid of mandatory 11+ (which the councils who still have grammer schools still have) as this would make people feel like failures if they fail. My sister lives within Manchester city council so she never had to take the 11+ for her it was an option like it was for me. I choose not to take the 11+. If I lived 1 mile away in Trafford I would have had to take the 11+ and probably would have felt like a failure for failing it.
    I failed my 11+. But I didn't want to go to the grammar anyway, it's single sex! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't mean to be pedantic but shouldn't "Peoples Princess" have an apostrophe somewhere?
    A perfectly legitimate point.
    Incidentally, the real 'People's Princess' went to an (undoubtedly) hugely expensive public school, took six o'levels, failed the lot, went onto resit and then, guess what, failed the lot again.
    Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ian88)
    I know people from State school who were horribly bullied
    its not exactly a preserve of the upper classes then :mad:
    I don't believe I suggested it was.

I think public schools are great but they're unattainable for the greater part of the population so the tragic thing is that if you fork out enough $$$ you can 'buy' your way into a better uni and, as a consequence 'buy' your way in2 better jobs and social positions, earning enough to prolong your traditional position by being able to send all of your children to a public school
    And thus contributing to the perpetuation of the current class system. And we delude ourselves that we're living in a 'meritocracy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I failed my 11+. But I didn't want to go to the grammar anyway, it's single sex! :eek:

Some MPs failed their 11+ but look how well they are now.

ReputationRep:
    LOL!

I appologise for my gramatical error; i didn't realise such things applied to ones name on an internet forum. There there.

I went to a school called St Johns Primary for two years but was badly bullied so changed schools to go to a little prep school for a year (Notre Dame prep) then we moved and i went to a primary school called Corpus Christi from years 3-6. For years 7-11 i went to Wentworth College which is indeed a private school and for sixth form i went to St Peters; a regular school just up the road from me.

So, I spent 6/14 school years at private schools...gosh now i'm going to get abuse from people telling me they can do maths... :rolleyes:

It's rather funny that you consider i took O'Levels! I'm only 18! I got a fairly repectable set of GCSE results.

Finally, i'm not loaded, both my parents just happen to be teachers, i dont have a problem with people educated at state Schools indeed all my closest friends are from state schools, i was simply stating my opinion and observations.

Shame we cant have an interesting debate without it decending into stupid banter, but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeoplesPrincess)
    LOL!

I appologise for my gramatical error; i didn't realise such things applied to ones name on an internet forum. There there.

I went to a school called St Johns Primary for two years but was badly bullied so changed schools to go to a little prep school for a year (Notre Dame prep) then we moved and i went to a primary school called Corpus Christi from years 3-6. For years 7-11 i went to Wentworth College which is indeed a private school and for sixth form i went to St Peters; a regular school just up the road from me.

So, I spent 6/14 school years at private schools...gosh now i'm going to get abuse from people telling me they can do maths... :rolleyes:

It's rather funny that you consider i took O'Levels! I'm only 18! I got a fairly repectable set of GCSE results.

Finally, i'm not loaded, both my parents just happen to be teachers, i dont have a problem with people educated at state Schools indeed all my closest friends are from state schools, i was simply stating my opinion and observations.

Shame we cant have an interesting debate without it decending into stupid banter, but there you go.
    I'm curious why you left Wentworth College to go to a 6th form college - most independent secondaries are 11-18.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it had a sixth form.

My parents ran out of money!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.