The Student Room Group

Opinions on NCS?

I'm considering applying to NCS. Most reviews I've heard are positive and most people say they've made new friends. I'm not exactly a sociable person so I may struggle. Would you still recommend NCS to me? To those who have participated in NCS, do you have any regrets, what did you like and what did you hate? I'd like both sides please, both the negatives and positives of NCS.

Thank you in advance.

PS Deadline is today so if you see this post please answer ASAP.

Scroll to see replies

Am going in 2 weeks.
Do it.

The only downside was the food lol
Reply 3
Original post by AppleB
Do it.

The only downside was the food lol

I heard you had to cook food yourselves, is it true?
Original post by Anonymous
I heard you had to cook food yourselves, is it true?

That's week 2
Reply 5
Original post by AppleB
That's week 2

Apart from food, any other disadvantages?
Apart from food, any other disadvantages?

Wifi is pretty much non existent
Cannot stay up late
We had staff patrolling corridors
Reply 7
Original post by AppleB
Wifi is pretty much non existent
Cannot stay up late
We had staff patrolling corridors

Lol sounds like prison. Do you know what time you had to sleep and what time you had to wake up?
Lol sounds like prison. Do you know what time you had to sleep and what time you had to wake up?

Lights out around 9, awake at 6.
It was good but pretty disorganised when I did it however that was 4 years ago, it may have changed since then.

I met a lot of new people but the friendships didn't really go anywhere afterwards
If you're going with friends, it will be a good experience anyway
Original post by Kravence
It was good but pretty disorganised when I did it however that was 4 years ago, it may have changed since then.

I met a lot of new people but the friendships didn't really go anywhere afterwards
If you're going with friends, it will be a good experience anyway

What do you mean disorganised?
I did NCS last year and thought is was reasonably good. I had fun and enjoyed the first week the most, even though I am not really an outdoors person. The social action project did get a bit boring and times and I ended up having to travel a lot. Overall it was a good experience I didn't make any life long friends or keep in contact with any of the people I met, but I don't regret it. The whole "you will come out as a changed person" is total nonsense, I started NCS as a shy unsociable person, 1 year on and I am still shy and unsociable.
What do you mean disorganised?

They didn't seem prepared, there was quite a lot of waiting between activities etc.
Original post by OwlOfFire
I did NCS last year and thought is was reasonably good. I had fun and enjoyed the first week the most, even though I am not really an outdoors person. The social action project did get a bit boring and times and I ended up having to travel a lot. Overall it was a good experience I didn't make any life long friends or keep in contact with any of the people I met, but I don't regret it. The whole "you will come out as a changed person" is total nonsense, I started NCS as a shy unsociable person, 1 year on and I am still shy and unsociable.

Haha thanks for being truthful. Any disadvantages?
Done NCS last year, it was alright. However it did take up 4 weeks of my summer, which could have been used more wisely. :wink:

If you want advice about NCS I would recommend: http://bit.ly/2udzgkm
Done NCS last year, it was alright. However it did take up 4 weeks of my summer, which could have been used more wisely. :wink:

If you want advice about NCS I would recommend: http://bit.ly/2udzgkm

Thanks for the info!
I'm not too sure about clicking that link. Could you tell me what to search up instead? Sorry, I've had experiences where I've clicked links and have been transferred to dodgy websites.
Haha thanks for being truthful. Any disadvantages?

I didn't get on overly well with some of the people in my group. I think if I had a nicer group of people I would have enjoyed it more. However I felt that a lot of the people I were with, were very outgoing, confident and loud bubbly type people. I just didn't gel and fit in that well. The staff were friendly towards me, however I know that others had some issues. One person in my team wanted to go home on week 1, she asked for her parents to pick her up at 9am the following morning, however the staff wouldn't ring her parents until 9pm in case she "changed her mind". She clearly was not happy there and wanted nothing more, but to go home. Yet she was made to wait 12 hours before her parents were informed. The parents then had to drive out for 2 hours in the complete darkness to collect her at 11pm, she and her family were not impressed. But like I said I personally didn't have a problem with the staff, one of whom offered me comfort and support as I made an attempt to face my fear of heights. I guess it just depends on the individual and your group. I hope this helps!
Thanks for the info!
I'm not too sure about clicking that link. Could you tell me what to search up instead? Sorry, I've had experiences where I've clicked links and have been transferred to dodgy websites.

Oh don't worry about it, it is just a blog that some person did about their NCS experience. I found it useful when I was applying.
Original post by OwlOfFire

I went to my NCS meeting yesterday and the lady said the same thing 'you will be more confident', I kind of laughed at the idea because I done GCSE Drama and am still not confident, instead it makes me less confident. So NCS might be the same.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I went to my NCS meeting yesterday and the lady said the same thing 'you will be more confident', I kind of laughed at the idea because I done GCSE Drama and am still not confident, instead it makes me less confident. So NCS might be the same.

Possibly, those who come out of NCS as confident individuals were most likely confident before they started. NCS is not a life changing experience and the chances of a person coming out as a reformed character is highly unlikely. I think it is a good opportunity and basically a very cheap holiday. I got to go kayaking, camping, paddle boarding, hiking, stay in university accommodation, cooking, all meals and archery + more all for my £50. A good investment really. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest