The Student Room Group

Opinions on NCS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OwlOfFire
Possibly, those who come out of NCS as confident individuals were most likely confident before they started. NCS is not a life changing experience and the chances of a person coming out as a reformed character is highly unlikely. I think it is a good opportunity and basically a very cheap holiday. I got to go kayaking, camping, paddle boarding, hiking, stay in university accommodation, cooking, all meals and archery + more all for my £50. A good investment really. :biggrin:

True, we were given a discount.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm considering applying to NCS. Most reviews I've heard are positive and most people say they've made new friends. I'm not exactly a sociable person so I may struggle. Would you still recommend NCS to me? To those who have participated in NCS, do you have any regrets, what did you like and what did you hate? I'd like both sides please, both the negatives and positives of NCS.

Thank you in advance.

PS Deadline is today so if you see this post please answer ASAP.

Its pretty good, specially for the price. It made me a little more confident but not massively so. Week 1 was great since I love outdoorsy stuff but I'm never given opportunities like that, and week 2 was pretty good because i got try something i'd again never really tried before.
I'd say do it if you have a long summer and nothing planned.
Not excellent, in my opinion.
You do get new experiences and you do meet lovely people and make good, lasting friendships, so the social aspect is good fun, but definitely don't go and expect the life changing experience that they advertise.

Expect bad food. Expect 'games' that you'll quickly tire of. Expect disorganisation. Expect curfews and rules that might even be stricter than living at home. Expect some parts to feel like you're back in school. Expect some sessions that are so dull, pointless or just plain bad that you'll wonder why the **** you spent £50 on this.
But, get past all of that crap... it's a decent experience and looks good on your CV because employers will believe the hype about it.
Original post by pareidolia42
Not excellent, in my opinion.
You do get new experiences and you do meet lovely people and make good, lasting friendships, so the social aspect is good fun, but definitely don't go and expect the life changing experience that they advertise.

Expect bad food. Expect 'games' that you'll quickly tire of. Expect disorganisation. Expect curfews and rules that might even be stricter than living at home. Expect some parts to feel like you're back in school. Expect some sessions that are so dull, pointless or just plain bad that you'll wonder why the **** you spent £50 on this.
But, get past all of that crap... it's a decent experience and looks good on your CV because employers will believe the hype about it.

I second this

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's DEAD
(edited 6 years ago)
NCS leadership can be a bit disorganised in places, I agree. However you can just ignore that, I remember there being petty disagreements between the leaders, but give them 10 minutes and they had sorted it out. The food wasn't great, in week 1 we were served from a burger van! Then week 2 we didn't cook for ourselves we were in catered accommodation, the queue was long as another wave was there at the same time and the portion sizes were very small. The sandwiches were awful, I am a vegetarian and was given the most disgusting goats cheese and spinach sandwich. Then a disgusting spicy roll the following day which had some gloppy mango sauce in it. My advice would be bring plenty of snacks and food with you.

The rules on my NCS experience were not too bad. We had to be in our rooms at 11pm. We were not allowed to go into other peoples rooms or even their block, although we all did. We got caught once but the staff member didn't care because we were all girls. They only got angry when the boys and girls went into each others room.
I wouldn't recommend NCS. I had to do it through my old college course two years ago and I hated it. Being forced to do things that I didn't want to do plus the organisation was terrible. If you want to do something over the summer, volunteering in a local charity shop is better. :smile:
It sounds like NCS just emphasises what was already there i.e. If you were a confident person before it doesnt really do anything and if you're not and socially awkward it sounds like a nightmare. Im so nervous...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending