UKCAT calculator shortcuts? Watch
My UKCAT was two years ago, but I am fairly certain the calculator is still the same.
1. There is no answer function. Therefore you need to write down your working for step by step calculations.
2. There is an M+ function. Youtube a tutorial on how to use this. It enables you to do answer storage, so if you can work out how to navigate this you avoid problem 1. In brief, to save a number, click M+ and the number will be saved under MRC. If you need to recall the number press MRC.
3. There is no power function. So to do 8 cubed you should do 64 x 8 (provided you know 8 squared!) to save time.
4. There are two navigation methods. You can navigate using the mouse or alternatively by typing numbers into the keypad.
5. It takes time to use the calculator. Calculating is slow, so try to estimate or use mental maths wherever possible.
6. Calculators during revision. The calculator is available on the UKCAT Website - use it and practice! Do not practice with a scientific handheld calculator. Occasionally an iPhone calculator can suffice for practice.
Good luck! Have a look at our tutorial on using the calculator here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_aWy_V40s