COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So for the calculator in the real UKCAT can you use keys for multiply, divide etc or do you have to click on them?
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by COYS...TTID)
So for the calculator in the real UKCAT can you use keys for multiply, divide etc or do you have to click on them?
You have a keyboard so I guess you can use it. I personally placed it to the side to make space for my whiteboard and mouse ;p as I had little space.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes. It's exactly like the one on the practice UKCAT papers
Ethics Maniac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can (and should!) use shortcut keys for the calculator, it saves a lot of time.

My UKCAT was two years ago, but I am fairly certain the calculator is still the same.
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here are some tips for navigating the UKCAT Calculator:

1. There is no answer function. Therefore you need to write down your working for step by step calculations.

2. There is an M+ function. Youtube a tutorial on how to use this. It enables you to do answer storage, so if you can work out how to navigate this you avoid problem 1. In brief, to save a number, click M+ and the number will be saved under MRC. If you need to recall the number press MRC.

3. There is no power function. So to do 8 cubed you should do 64 x 8 (provided you know 8 squared!) to save time.

4. There are two navigation methods. You can navigate using the mouse or alternatively by typing numbers into the keypad.

5. It takes time to use the calculator. Calculating is slow, so try to estimate or use mental maths wherever possible.

6. Calculators during revision. The calculator is available on the UKCAT Website - use it and practice! Do not practice with a scientific handheld calculator. Occasionally an iPhone calculator can suffice for practice.

Good luck! Have a look at our tutorial on using the calculator here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_aWy_V40s

Kunal
UCL Medicine
www.medicmind.co.uk/resources
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?