Anatomy and physiology book for med school

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Potatoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys so I am starting med school this September. I know library has books but buying a good anatomy and physiology won't hurt and I have some money saved up anyway. So I was wondering what the best books are for anatomy and physiology?
Thank you
KyleH123
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Potatoo)
Hey guys so I am starting med school this September. I know library has books but buying a good anatomy and physiology won't hurt and I have some money saved up anyway. So I was wondering what the best books are for anatomy and physiology?
Thank you
heard good things about this book

find the most recent edition though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/principles...-/282579627893
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Potatoo)
Thank you
I recommend finding your medical school's reading list (a quick google search will get you there).
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Go to the library (when you start obviously) and have a flick through different textbooks and see which ones you like best. You can also browse through this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1137688

I used Clinical Anatomy by Ellis, Gray's Anatomy for Students, and Pocock & Richards for physiology.

Just a word of advice in relation to the title of this thread: avoid books which are "anatomy and physiology" in one volume - they're generally aimed at nurses and allied health students and don't cover the medical curriculum in sufficient depth imho.
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I would second waiting until you get to med school. You will get the opportunity to have a look at various books and get an idea of which would be right for you. There are several books for anatomy and physiology, and imo it depends a lot on your learning style. For example, I really liked Grey's Anatomy for Students because of the illustrated pictures, while my friends hated it.

Being at med school will also mean you will get to buy book from students in higher years for a discount.

Also, they are very expensive.
Ethics Maniac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Like you, I bought a fair amount of medical textbooks before starting and during medical school and I really regret it. Use the textbooks from the library, it will save you a lot in the long run. For anatomy I used Grey's Anatomy for Students; physiology I used Guyton & Hall's, and Boron & Boulpaep. For biochemistry, any biochemistry textbook would do fine.
usycool1
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
I also really liked Guyton and Hall for physiology. Huge book but written very clearly and well imo.

I struggled to find an anatomy book that I liked tbh. Some at my Med School liked Gray's, others Moore's. I preferred Gray's but I didn't use it much. I used kenhub online instead which I really liked - videos helped me visualise things better. Oh, and Netter's flash cards were excellent for revision.

I'd also agree with others who have said to get them from the library.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If you buy stuff now I'd say there's a 90% chance you won't be using it at all within 1 month of arriving at med school.

I personally am in favour of this amazing new thing that is easier to use, more accessible, more up to date, and has original sources included within it: the internet.
Matticus C
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I recommend "Human Anatomy & Physiology" by Marieb and Hoehn.

You can get it for around £50 on amazon
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads