The Student Room Group

No sugar coating. History vs Law degree

Above

Scroll to see replies

Why does ut have to be one v the other? It is a very lazy question.
history vs law for getting what job?? lawyer?
Original post by addingishard
history vs law for getting what job?? lawyer?

LET ME REPHRASE THEN

pros and cons of each degree
Original post by JohnGreek
In terms of what?

You'll also want to give us the names of the universities you are planning to study either course at.

I want to study at UCL
Pros and cons in terms of future prospects
It's a very vague question.

If you are thinking about taking a career in Law (with no possible compromise) then just do Law.

Personally, I am toying with teaching and Law, so I am likely going to do a History degree and enter either Law/teaching postgraduate
Seriously, what job does a history degree lead to??
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Seriously, what job does a history degree lead to??

What J-SP said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Both are a waste of time.
Law.

Way more versatile. Yes, they can lead to the same types of jobs but in reality law is looked upon more favourably.

It's a generalised answer; but then you asked a generalised question.
Original post by J-SP
The same type of jobs as a law degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really??? You can become a solicitor, barrister etc. with a history degree? Obviously, there's other training and courses that are needed but really??
Reply 11
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Really??? You can become a solicitor, barrister etc. with a history degree? Obviously, there's other training and courses that are needed but really??

Yes. I know someone who did their undergrad and masters in Ancient History, and are now doing a 2 year graduate law degree so they can go on to practice law.
Original post by Airmed
Yes. I know someone who did their undergrad and masters in Ancient History, and are now doing a 2 year graduate law degree so they can go on to practice law.

So it's more of an indirect way to become a lawyer etc.? Wow, I've learnt something new.
Original post by J-SP
Yes - a year's conversion course and anyone can then be on the same route as someone who studied law.

History and politics degrees tend to be the most represented in trainee cohorts outside of law degree. But I've recruited trainees with sport science, music, fine arts, psychology, chemical engineering degrees. For many firms they tend to recruit around 50% law grads and 50% non-law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what undergraduate degree would you consider for a preparation for a GDL law conversion course
History is probably regarded as one of the most academic of degrees. Yeah it's not the most "vocational" but when you think that the core principles behind university is academia, it accomplishes that pretty well.

I didn't study History, but my sister did and some of her work was absolutely fascinating, but mind-boggling, like another language.

You can't become a practicing lawyer straight out of a law degree, so either way you'll end up doing post-grad study, so you may as well pick an undergrad which you'll enjoy, and makes you stand out a little more.

I'd personally find a history grad more interesting than a law grad.
Original post by Twinpeaks
History is probably regarded as one of the most academic of degrees. Yeah it's not the most "vocational" but when you think that the core principles behind university is academia, it accomplishes that pretty well.

I didn't study History, but my sister did and some of her work was absolutely fascinating, but mind-boggling, like another language.

You can't become a practicing lawyer straight out of a law degree, so either way you'll end up doing post-grad study, so you may as well pick an undergrad which you'll enjoy, and makes you stand out a little more.

I'd personally find a history grad more interesting than a law grad.

Love this comment so much I'm taking a screenshot of it
Reply 16
Law 9001%
History
Original post by J-SP
Any. You don't need any background to do the GDL. The whole purpose of the course is to cram core law modules into one year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok great thanks for the info
Alternatively, if you're looking at the post-grad route of a business/MBA masters, a lot (not all, granted) of courses at good universities specify an undergraduate degree in a social science, such as law, economics, management etc, rather than History/English Lit. I've also found History undergrads to have to find out information about law firms/a law career entirely on their own since their course is very academically focussed, whereas law undergads are hit in the face with BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR CAREER from Day 1. So it really depends on what you want out of your degree in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest