The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did human rights because it links to what I do in politics now and law which I want to study at uni
Original post by simran08
I really want to start the EPQ when i go back to school after summer but i am really struggling on choosing a topic. Could someone please give me some suggestions for topic ideas? The more they stand out and be different the better! Also what was your chosen topic to study?

Thank you

I can't really give you specific ideas, as it needs to be something that you are interested in and motivated to research. However, the highest-scoring projects tend to have titles which allow you to research and write about arguments for and against a topic, so that you can come to a conclusion which answers the title question at the end. A topic which is somewhat controversial (but which also interests you) is therefore a good choice :smile:

For what it's worth, my topic was on the different theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs (essentially, asking whether the asteroid impact theory is actually the most likely, based on available evidence) :smile:
I did mine on the link between music and drugs through the years, biologically and culturally. I loved researching it but found i was a little limited because I couldnt exactly write bout going out trying it! hahaha I heavily relied on Vice. My twin brother wrote about graphene and everything that has recently been discovered, if you're more sciencey! Plus that is ever changing, so would be great research wise.
Mine was titled "How and why is nail polish being scientifically developed?" And I was so excited about it! My teacher marked it as an A and then it came back from the exam board with a C 😒 I was so disappointed! You don't have to do anything particularly educational; show you can apply research and analysis techniques to an everyday situation as well.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the advice
I'm a huge nerd when it comes to history. So I had a wide range of questions to debate over but ultimately went with; 'To what extent is ‘the Final Solution to the Jewish question’ the worst act of genocide in human history?' I did well with this, although I also wish I went with other topics such as politics, computing, artificial intelligence, war etc. Just pick any topic you know you enjoy (ensure it doesn't overlap with your studies), find some preliminary source material and go from there and you'll be fine!
Original post by Mathemagicien
That sounds like a Really Bad Idea unless your teachers are particularly comfortable about discussing racism and Nazism. Depending on what conclusion you reach, you might sound like you are underplaying the holocaust.

Actually not, as there are a range of different events like this, and it's supposed to be an independent project, all your supervisors are supposed to do is to ensure that you're meeting your set deadlines at the end of the day.
When I first enrolled on my schools EPQ enrichment course, these are some of the preliminary ideas I came up with, although these suit my interests:

To what extent is the face of politics changing in the UK & US?
How are the effects of the 2003 US led invasion of Iraq still being felt today?
Is the current Syrian Civil War the worst human conflict in history?
Communism can never succeed. How far do you agree with this?
Is modern terrorism the greatest threat facing humanity today?
How is language used by the media to both manipulate and influence the views of their intended audiences?
To what extent is the current UK political situation a result of austerity & inequality?
What is the greatest threat facing civilisation?
Will artificial intelligence cause the extinction of the human race?
How has the invention of the world wide web benefited the world?
Has the cure for cancer been suppressed for financial gain?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what topic you choose as long as you have an interest in that field and have confidence that you'll be able to construct a project out of it using various source material.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I really want to start the EPQ when i go back to school after summer but i am really struggling on choosing a topic. Could someone please give me some suggestions for topic ideas? The more they stand out and be different the better! Also what was your chosen topic to study?

Thank you

What did you go with in the end?? :smile:
What did you title this?
Original post by Leviathan1741
I can't really give you specific ideas, as it needs to be something that you are interested in and motivated to research. However, the highest-scoring projects tend to have titles which allow you to research and write about arguments for and against a topic, so that you can come to a conclusion which answers the title question at the end. A topic which is somewhat controversial (but which also interests you) is therefore a good choice :smile:

For what it's worth, my topic was on the different theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs (essentially, asking whether the asteroid impact theory is actually the most likely, based on available evidence) :smile:

That’s a really unique idea! Props to you.
Original post by anonaccount123
I did mine on the link between music and drugs through the years, biologically and culturally. I loved researching it but found i was a little limited because I couldnt exactly write bout going out trying it! hahaha I heavily relied on Vice. My twin brother wrote about graphene and everything that has recently been discovered, if you're more sciencey! Plus that is ever changing, so would be great research wise.

Hi i wanted to ask how did you set up your question, cause my topic is based around hip hop and drugs/mental health, but am not sure how to make that into a valid question

Thank you

i think you should do you it on phillip schofield
do it on a cool topic
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey I wang to do human rights as well can u please go in more detail of what you spoke about. I am mostly interested in freedom of speech. Thank you.
This is not an idea
Reply 16
I also really think you should do it on Philip Schofield - schoflies squad club ? I might do that :smile:
Hi I am going to start my epq and i am not sure about the topic i should choose. I have interest in cyber security and also in hair and beauty. Can somebody please recommend me a question related to these topics.
totes do it on the gradual thawing of glacial planes in the andes mountain range and the impacts it was on peruvian subsistence farming! :smile:
Does anyone have any ideas on titles that I could use to do with feminism?