Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was Alan Shearer world class? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been having a debate with friends about whether he should be classed as a world class striker.

I wouldn't say he was world class, but no denying that he's a premier league great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You must be a Sunderland fan to even consider that he is not

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ.

He scored over 30 goals in the league 3 times, scored over 25 goals overall 8 times, is the premier league's highest ever goal scorer, turned up for England in competitive finals, top scorer at euro 96.

if he's not world class who the fuc* in premier league history is, since he outscored literally everyone?

EDIT: true geordie would fuc*ing kill you if you asked him that lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    Jesus Christ.

He scored over 30 goals in the league 3 times, scored over 25 goals overall 8 times, is the premier league's highest ever goal scorer, turned up for England in competitive finals, top scorer at euro 96.

if he's not world class who the fuc* in premier league history is, since he outscored literally everyone?

EDIT: true geordie would fuc*ing kill you if you asked him that lmao
    I'm pretty sure to be considered world class you must of done something on a European stage. You can say oh it's the club he played for, but he had every opportunity to leave to join a bigger club and establish himself.

It's pretty much like Kane, he's not world class he hasn't done **** on the big stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Undoubtedly world class. He and Ronaldo were probably the top two strikers at that time.

ReputationRep:
    I know little about football, but undoubtedly; yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I'm pretty sure to be considered world class you must of done something on a European stage. You can say oh it's the club he played for, but he had every opportunity to leave to join a bigger club and establish himself.

It's pretty much like Kane, he's not world class he hasn't done **** on the big stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    do the euros not count as a European stage?

he scored 30 goals in 49 continental games, including the Champions League.

he went to Newcastle for sentimental reasons, you can't blame him for that. The fact then that his CL record in terms of achievement is poor doesn't make sense since he played for a team that wasn't that great.

Bosingwa's won CL, doesn't mean he's world class. As has Djibril Cisse.

Put it this way, if Man Utd wanted him to play upfront, considering how good Utd forwards have been, he must have been world class imo. Utd didn't and still don't go for any less when it comes to forwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I've been having a debate with friends about whether he should be classed as a world class striker.

I wouldn't say he was world class, but no denying that he's a premier league great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He scored 260 PL goals in 451 appearances. If he played in every game a season, he'll end up with 22 goals a season on average.

World class for Blackburn though with average goal per season if played every game of 31 goals a season for 4 consecutive seasons.

Also on the BBC highest salaries list so must be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    do the euros not count as a European stage?

he scored 30 goals in 49 continental games, including the Champions League.

he went to Newcastle for sentimental reasons, you can't blame him for that. The fact then that his CL record in terms of achievement is poor doesn't make sense since he played for a team that wasn't that great.

Bosingwa's won CL, doesn't mean he's world class. As has Djibril Cisse.

Put it this way, if Man Utd wanted him to play upfront, considering how good Utd forwards have been, he must have been world class imo. Utd didn't and still don't go for any less when it comes to forwards.
    He hasn't had a good international career except the 96 euros.

Like you said, it was his choice to go to Newcastle there was no external factors to prevent him from making a better career choice.

I'm not saying if you've won the champions league you're world class... you have to of performed in the champions league. All of shearers achievement are domestic

At the time period of Shearer the premier league wasn't even as strong as other leagues if you look at the eufa coefficient ranking in 1997 the premier league was ranked 7th. As he didn't do anything in the premier league, I don't believe he would've of done it in a harder league.

I think people are not realising I'm not saying he's rubbish, there's no doubt he's a great striker but he's just a premier league great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Kevin Phillips was better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he was. Of England strikers, I would put Jimmy Greaves and Gary Lineker as better.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ibrahimovic hasn't done much in Europe but few would dispute his career. Ronaldo never won the Champions League either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Ibrahimovic hasn't done much in Europe but few would dispute his career. Ronaldo never won the Champions League either.
    He hasn't done that bad in the champions league. Yes he hasn't won it, but he's performed consistently in Holland, Spain, France, Italy and the UK...

Ronaldo has gone one step further and carried his team to the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can't really criticise 9 in 13 in international tournaments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    You can't really criticise 9 in 13 in international tournaments
    You can... depends on the opponent, level of the match... just like how you can criticise Rooney. Yes he may the all time England goal scorer but he only scored 1 goal in the World Cup, and quite a few of his goals came from qualifiers and friendlies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    You can... depends on the opponent, level of the match... just like how you can criticise Rooney. Yes he may the all time England goal scorer but he only scored 1 goal in the World Cup, and quite a few of his goals came from qualifiers and friendlies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not like that at all because it's tournament goals only. No hattricks against San Marino and Andorra.

Opposition:
    Switzerland
    Scotland
    Netherlands x2
    Germany
    Tunisia
    Argentina
    Germany
    Romania

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    It's not like that at all because it's tournament goals only. No hattricks against San Marino and Andorra.

Opposition:
    Switzerland
    Scotland
    Netherlands x2
    Germany
    Tunisia
    Argentina
    Germany
    Romania
    Giroud has 6 goals in 5 games, what's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    Giroud has 6 goals in 5 games, what's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lmao wat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Lmao wat
    Shearer had 9 goals in 13 games international games, Giroud has 6 goals in his last 5 international games. Is he world class too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    Shearer had 9 goals in 13 games international games, Giroud has 6 goals in his last 5 international games. Is he world class too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can't possibly think that's a good comparison

less than 10% of Giroud's international career compared to the entirety of Shearer's international tournament career
    the opposition was Paraguay x3, Luxembourg x2 and Sweden
    3 of them were in a friendly, 0 in a tournament

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.