Do you think euthanasia should be legalised in the UK? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should euthanasia be legalised in the UK
    YES
    76.92%
    NO
    23.08%

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe a person should have a control over their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmallhooman)
    Yesit should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Passive Euthanasia is already allowed here. Given that in countries where it is legal there are no problems/ negative effects on society there. But that alone doesn't suggest whether it is moral or not.

I feel things like this should be judged on individual circumstances rather than it being allowed all round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmallhooman)
    Do you think grammar be used properly?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No, not really keen on it.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't see the debate. It is the person's life. If they're unhappy and not living to their fullest potential then why not allow them to die in a dignified way

ReputationRep:
    I think its only a matter of time before it is

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, for ppl who say no, wait till youre in their condition and try and justify it then

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a person should be able to control their own life. We don't get a choice in whether we are born or not, but we do have a choice to decide to continue living or not.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody should have to suffer unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    No, not really keen on it.
    Why?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    Why?
    Several reasons, I think one of them being that if euthanasia is legalised, it will allow selfish families to pressurise their vulnerable terminally ill loved ones to accept the option of euthanasia instead of palliative care.

ReputationRep:
    Several reasons, I think one of them being that if euthanasia is legalised, it will allow selfish families to pressurise their vulnerable terminally ill loved ones to accept the option of euthanasia instead of palliative care.
    So you are happy for people to suffer in their final days and weeks even though we have the ability to end it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is that your only reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    So you are happy for people to suffer in their final days and weeks even though we have the ability to end it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I don't think they should suffer. That's why I think there should be greater investment into palliative care.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Is that your only reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Yes for cases where a person has no hope of improving.

I would need very careful guidelines because any person can argue to be suffering. I wouldn't agree with it being offered to people in mental anguish as a way out.

If a qualified doctor can certify that a person is experiencing a level of suffering that prevents any quality of life, and there is no hope of their condition improving then I consider it a humane option to offer.

ReputationRep:
    That's a very specific single hypothetical case. You can make an argument against literally anything on the basis of it being misused and being capable of causing harm if misused.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    That's a very specific single hypothetical case. You can make an argument against literally anything on the basis of it being misused and being capable of causing harm if misused.
    I mean, don't you have to analyse hypothetical cases when you are making a new law?

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think they should suffer. That's why I think there should be greater investment into palliative care.
    Sometimes there is nothing you can do, why continue to live if there is nothing left to live for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.