Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should euthanasia be legalised in the UK
    YES
    76.92%
    NO
    23.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    What happens if a person is in a coma and can't decide, but has no apparent brain damage and thus would be able to decide if they could be brought out of it? Get the next of kin to decide?
    NOK have no power over treatment decisions in the UK. That would presumably continue.

What about age cutoffs, justified by projected lifespan given a full recovery against cost of treatment?
    I don't understand what this means, but i think you are saying people would just be prescribed euthanasia. That is not euthanasia (or at least, it is a very extreme form). Forcing someone to die is very, very different from giving them the option, if they want.

In 30 years: oh yeah sorry I can't come out next week, taking grandma to be put down *sadface*
    Currently: "Sorry can't come out next week, or the next or the next - got to visit grandma who is bedbound, incontinent, unable to even feed herself and still in intractable pain and will be for the rest of her life".

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. It's silly not too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Why would they? 99%+ of people who take exams are able-bodied people perfectly capable of taking their own life, if they are determined. Why would they need a euthanasia clinic?
    I think it was sarcasm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would they? 99%+ of people who take exams are able-bodied people perfectly capable of taking their own life, if they are determined. Why would they need a euthanasia clinic?
    Able bodied =/= being able to take your own life. Human bodies are surprisingly hard to kill. Pretty much the only way which is certain to be effective also has the largest mental barrier/survival instinct kick-in.

(Sarcasm or not, just pointing out that it's not only disabled people who would use such clinics. It's a much more dignified way to die than the majority of suicides)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Able bodied =/= being able to take your own life. Human bodies are surprisingly hard to kill. Pretty much the only way which is certain to be effective also has the largest mental barrier/survival instinct kick-in.

(Sarcasm or not, just pointing out that it's not only disabled people who would use such clinics. It's a much more dignified way to die than the majority of suicides)
    There are many guaranteed ways and you could argue that if someone is facing a mental barrier then perhaps this is not their best decision. I'd also argue that the bureaucratic loops and inevitable psychological assessments might not make the process either timely nor dignified.

However, in hindsight i do recognise that many people make very stupid decisions regarding suicide and self harm, for a variety of reasons of course, and perhaps saying people will just get on with it is wrong. I shall delete my comment.

ReputationRep:
    There are many guaranteed ways and you could argue that if someone is facing a mental barrier then perhaps this is not their best decision. I'd also argue that the bureaucratic loops and inevitable psychological assessments might not make the process either timely nor dignified.

However, in hindsight i do recognise that many people make very stupid decisions regarding suicide and self harm, for a variety of reasons of course, and perhaps saying people will just get on with it is wrong. I shall delete my comment.
    I'm assuming there's probably a rule on here about posting details of suicide methods, but most really aren't in the slightest bit reliable, considering failure often can result in life crippling problems. And the mental barrier mentioned is, as I put, one of our strongest inbuilt survival instincts, so it's not merely a fact of a conscious decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    I don't wish suffering upon anyone. However, i'd rather them suffer slightly and have a chance at survival and making a recovery (of which there's been many 'miraculous' ones) then be deemed terminal and have their life cut short without any hope by euthanasia.
    As it happens the BBC has a very interesting article on euthanasia I suggest you read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40546632

ReputationRep:
    Yes. There are too many ways to bypass the law anyways. No one would hesitate to supply 10 grams of Sodium Cyanide for 1000 pounds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.