Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone here been attacked in London? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I get mugged whenever I go into a pub or bar. THE PRICES FFS.

ReputationRep:
    Never been personally attacked in almost 30 years of living in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    London seems like a complete hellhole at the moment.
    It's fine

ReputationRep:
    Nothing beyond pushing and shoving, usually. I've always managed to defuse things in time. Once got threatened with a knife, but that was more aimed at my friend than at me (he stands out as part of a minority group, who seemed to be the target of those particular attacks. I just happened to be there with him when it happened). This has been over a long time period though, it's not a recent increase (in my personal experience).

A couple of people have been shot within a mile of my flat while I've lived here (and two stabbed, both in the same incident and by each other), but it's a big main road and they were seemingly all gang-on-gang attacks. I've spent a lot of time in the more dangerous parts of London, and it still feels pretty safe for normal people. Just don't sell drugs in somebody else's area, I suppose.

I don't think you need to worry much, if you're keeping yourself safe by staying alert. Most normal people I know have at worst had bags snatched or phones taken off them.

ReputationRep:
    I seen people get stabbed, but that's just gang business. If you stay out of it nothing will happen

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, and I saw someone try to pull a hijab off a womans head on the bus in Elephant and Castle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    I seen people get stabbed, but that's just gang business. If you stay out of it nothing will happen
    what happened when the person was stabbed did they die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    what happened when the person was stabbed did they die
    Not that I've seen, but my little sister's friend's brother nearly died.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    London is a really safe city - attacks happen all the time but are usually among people who know each other rather than random. Given the number of people who live in the capital, the proportion of people attacked daily is minuscule. The press is quite guilty of both exaggerating the dangers and also promoting methods of attack to other people who have the capacity to harm other people.

ReputationRep:
    To add to Captain Jack's point, the media report things that are unusual or new. They report attacks partly because they keep people's interest, but also because they aren't so common, and they are still worth reporting as news.

If they stop reporting something, that's when I get worried that it's becoming a common problem. They don't report it when somebody's arrested for smoking weed because it's so common. They report serious acid attacks because they are unusual.

So, yeah. Come to London and keep buying things from my friend's shop and stuff. It's a nice place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.