Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 18, voted Conservative at the general election and I support a hard Brexit. AMA Watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by John1999)
    Alright, the UK financial services sector may suffer in the short to medium term but in the long term with new trade deals with emerging economies, the UK will surpass the EU countries in terms of economic wealth. The EU is an area of low growth and stagnant economies as a whole and as poorer countries such as Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia etc. are set to join the EU will only get poorer being saddled with these economies. The EU has also been slow to make trade deals with new emerging economies too so we will be ahead of the curve. There is more to an economy than the finance sector and more to brexit than the economy.
    If you say so. Financial services is by far the biggest and most important aspect of our economy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my parents earn above 30k a year. Conservatives support hard brexit and it is the rich that have the most to lose from a hard brexit.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    I voted remain, but there is really no point in Brexit if we don't leave the single market.
    Exactly, that's why brexit should be scrapped all together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    :rofl:
    This explains all https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/...ist-just-poor/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Hard brexit can be better than being scrapped or soft brexit. Take it from James Dyson
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...k-has-nothing/

ReputationRep:
    Hard brexit can be better than being scrapped or soft brexit. Take it from James Dyson
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...k-has-nothing/
    You seem to be suffering from some serious confirmation bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    It should but it won't. Also, a couple of weeks ago MPs had a vote on whether we should leave the single market. The majority of both Labour and tory MPs voted for us to leave.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    1. "This idea — that the poor are easy prey for demagogues — is claptrap." compared to, "Council-estate dwellers, Sun readers, people who didn’t get good GCSE results (which is primarily an indicator of class, not stupidity): they rose up."

If Rupert Murdoch isn't a demagogue, I don't know who is. Reading the sun is a primary indication of stupidity.

2. The article says nothing about how the rich have the most to lose from a hard brexit.

3. "from talking to numerous Leave voters," the article has no consistent evidence-base for the speculation and assertions of one individual. Your article proves nothing.

ReputationRep:
    1. "This idea — that the poor are easy prey for demagogues — is claptrap." compared to, "Council-estate dwellers, Sun readers, people who didn’t get good GCSE results (which is primarily an indicator of class, not stupidity): they rose up."

If Rupert Murdoch isn't a demagogue, I don't know who is. Reading the sun is a primary indication of stupidity.

2. The article says nothing about how the rich have the most to lose from a hard brexit.

3. "from talking to numerous Leave voters," the article has no consistent evidence-base for the speculation and assertions of one individual. Your article proves nothing.
    I'm struggling to understand your stance on it though? are you saying brexit should be scrapped or e should have another vote?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone131)
    I'm struggling to understand your stance on it though? are you saying brexit should be scrapped or e should have another vote?
    The debate here is not whether to do Brexit or not. The point that OP made, which I found fanciful, was that the rich will be the most badly affected.

ReputationRep:

But this shows how brexit has hit the rich. I'm sure none of us have seen our fortune shrink by 19 per cent like Peter Hargreaves.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/683...an-Union-money
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    But this shows how brexit has hit the rich. I'm sure none of us have seen our fortune shrink by 19 per cent like Peter Hargreaves.
    Brexit hasn't happened yet. These people all lost money following volatile markets and currencies in the wake of the referendum, not from UK leaving EU.

In short...

ReputationRep:
    Brexit hasn't happened yet. These people all lost money following volatile markets and currencies in the wake of the referendum, not from UK leaving EU.

In short...
    OK but everyone who has major shares or interests in the UK finance and banking sector will lose out once we leave the EU as the finance sector in the UK is going to collapse as I keep being told.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    OK but everyone who has major shares or interests in the UK finance and banking sector will lose out once we leave the EU as the finance sector in the UK is going to collapse as I keep being told.
    ...by who?

ReputationRep:
    ...by who?
    By a number of sources:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...furt-dublin-eu

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit...banking-2017-6

If this is true then UK bankers are going to be badly effected. If its not true then brexit will be better than many people think.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    By a number of sources:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...furt-dublin-eu

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit...banking-2017-6

If this is true then UK bankers are going to be badly effected. If its not true then Brexit will be better than many people think.
    - Bankers, and shareholders, and anyone who has an account/an interest rate will be badly affected if business insider is to be believed. The bankers are not alone.

- The guardian article is just the usual warnings about jobs going. These warnings always happen and usually just under half of the threatened number end up moving.

- Fundamentally, nothing will stop these people from finding an equally paid job in another country if their own goes. Ironically, economic migrants. But where will the wealth generation happen? In those other countries where our rich bankers move to. And as for the poor? Still here.

- If you believe in trickle-down economics (which as a Conservative I shall assume you do) then a poor economy means we all suffer. Particularly when we have a government with a habit of punishing the defenceless and making money from it.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you mate, I'm 18 also and would have voted leave if I was old enough at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjamino78)
    Why do you want a hard Brexit? I can appreciate why some people would want to leave the EU but remain part of the Single Market/Customs Union, but why you want to damage our economy by cutting ties with Europe?

And why did you want to leave the EU in the first place? Immigration? Sovereignty? I'm just genuinely curious, and want to try and understand where you're coming from.

Assuming you think we should make trade deals with other countries after Brexit, what makes you think they would offset the damage that leaving the Single Market would do?

And finally, does it trouble you that the person responsible for carrying out Brexit (i.e Theresa May) voted Remain and probably still secretly thinks that the whole thing is a bad idea?
    Sorry for not answering your questions until late.

If we have a soft brexit then we will have less of the benefits that the EU gives us but at the same time not being able to make trade deals with countries in the rest of the world. Europe itself is an area of economic stagnation and slow growth so it is not particularly damaging to leave the EU. Furthermore we will still be able to do our own trade deals with the EU and as we are an important trading partner with them they will have to give us a fair deal or risk losing trade.

I believe that as an independent self-governing country we should have full sovereignty over our country which includes our territorial waters which is important in order to revitalise our fishing industry. EU law should not supersede UK law as well - why should laws of an organisation be superior to that of a country? I think that we should also be able to fully control our immigration policy and be able to pick the best immigrants in the world to support our economy in a system much like Australia has. Equally we should be able to reduce unskilled immigration that contributes little to the UK and has contributed in there being a shortage of housing, particularly council/social housing. Under a soft brexit or remaining we cannot control immigration from the EU.

The single market is an area of stagnant economies and slow growth and the EU itself has been slow to negotiate free trade deals with new emerging economies. In the long term trade deals with these countries will be better for the UK than membership of the single market. Especially as the EU is set to include much poorer countries such as Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc. If we get the trade deals right then the UK can have a positive future economically

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-pwc-brexit-us

I would have preferred to have had Boris Johnson as prime minister rather than Theresa May after David Cameron resigned but Theresa May has since appeared to support a hard brexit. I suppose it would have been better to have had a Leave supporting prime minister but I think that Theresa may's support for remain was not very strong at all since she did not publicly campaign for remain. She has also brought in leavers Boris Johnson, David Davis and Liam Fox into the cabinet and into key positions so leave supporting conservatives have a great deal of influence on decisions.

ReputationRep:
    But they're all multi-million/billionaires and will continue to be so regardless even if they don't have as many millions/billions. They'll hardly see any noticeable change in their living standards, unlike someone at the bottom who loses their job and their whole life gets royally ****ed.

Can you think of any period of economic misfortune that hasn't hit the people at the bottom worst(proportionally that is)?

ReputationRep:
    I would have preferred Boris Johnson as leader rather than May since she didn't support Leave in the referendum. But because she seemed to support a hard Brexit I voted for her. I think she made a big mistake with the early election but she is still much better than Jeremy Corbyn.
    Boris isn't a true brexiter as he secretly (or arguably to an extent) supports freedom of movement (he called for freedom of movement with Australia during his Mayor days) so to the single market and all that.

David Davis, Michael Gove, Iain Duncan Smith, Priti Patel, Adam Afriyie and Jacob Rees-Mogg are better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.