Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1236 - No Taxation Without Representation Bill 2017 Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    B1236 - No Taxation Without Representation Bill 2017, the Rt Hon Jammy Duel, seconded by the Rt Hon hazzer1998 MP (UKIP)

Votes For 4 Year Olds Bill 2017

A bill to relieve those who are not enfranchised from the burden of taxation

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. PAYE taxes
    (1) The age from which PAYE taxes are levied shall be 18 years.

2. Sales taxes
    (1) No taxes on the sale of good shall be levied on individuals who can provide evidence they are below the age of 18
    (2) Forms of identification acceptable for proof of age are:
    (a) a valid passport;
    (b) a valid driving licence;
    (c) any valid ID card bearing the PASS hologram;
    (d) HM Armed Forced identity card;
    (e) a valid UK firearms licence.
    (3) The penalty for failing to levy sales taxes to an individual not exempted under this section shall be:
    (a) for the individual processing the transaction, not more than £5000 and 6 months imprisonment;
    (b) for the owner of the store in which the transaction took place, not more than £5000 and 6 months imprisonment.

3. Commencement, short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the No Taxation Without Representation Bill 2017.
    (2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom
    (3) This Act comes into force 1st April 2018.

Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show

A big deal is made about individuals not having the ability to vote while still being liable to pay taxes, this bill aims to minimise this. The first section of the bill removes those aged 16 and 17 from direct taxation, i.e. National Insurance and Income tax by increasing the age from which these are levied from 16 to 18. The second section is there to minimise indirect taxation by making it a mandatory to remove sales taxes, such as VAT and fuel duty, from the cost of goods when the purchaser can prove they are under the age of 18.

Costing
    Spoiler:
    Show

Due to the fact that the number of people in the 16-17 age band is only approximately 2 million and the fact that the vast vast majority of those in this age band are in full time education and shouldn't even be earning enough to pay NI, let alone income tax, I feel that the cost of section 1 is comfortably below the conventional £100m threshold for costing. Beyond this income data for this age range appears practically non existent making it near impossible to cost without making reasoned assumptions as to employment rates, hours worked, and hourly rates for this age demographic.

As for section 2, I have no intention of costing this for two reason: (1) the data needed is definitely not available given that to my knowledge no breakdown of who pays these taxes includes a 0-18 stat, and (2) section 2 isn't serious.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I need to point out the error. Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Have no idea why you've written "votes for four year olds bill" on it. (Directed to Jammy)
    I'm personally torn on the 16 year old voting issue, and so am likely to abstain on this bill.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Finally the other part of this debate comes to fruition. Aye.

ReputationRep:
    ffs

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a tax avoidance charter. For example, I get my 17 year old younger brother (if I had one) to pay for my new PC, and do not pay the 20% VAT. Or petrol if I had a car (I don't but you get the point).

So Nay.

And I support the age of voting being 16.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Sounds like a tax avoidance charter. For example, I get my 17 year old younger brother (if I had one) to pay for my new PC, and do not pay the 20% VAT. Or petrol if I had a car (I don't but you get the point).

So Nay.

And I support the age of voting being 16.
    I believe VAT isn't a PAYE tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    I believe VAT isn't a PAYE tax.
    It is a sales tax, as in part 2 of the Bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    It is a sales tax, as in part 2 of the Bill.
    Valid, ignore my silly comment. In fact, even though it seems rather small in my eyes it pushes me towards a nay.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I don't agree.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Nay. I don't agree.
    I think you're in the wrong party if you oppose moves that reduce taxation, particularly for the disenfranchised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I think you're in the wrong party if you oppose moves that reduce taxation, particularly for the disenfranchised.
    I think the lack of support is more to do with the certain flaws in this bill i.e. 'Votes for 4 Year Olds Bill 2017', the fact the losses cannot be calculated, and that the realism of applying such a bill is questionable.

ReputationRep:
    See what Saunders16 said.

Also how many under 18 year olds have ID like that? I did not. We were too poor for a holiday so I never needed a passport.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    I think the lack of support is more to do with the certain flaws in this bill i.e. 'Votes for 4 Year Olds Bill 2017', the fact the losses cannot be calculated, and that the realism of applying such a bill is questionable.
    I would also like to point out that notes clearly haven't been read nor logic applied. Beyond that "too difficult to work out" is an excuse accepted when used by the left even when the impact is clearly well over the £100m figure and the data needed to estimate the figure is available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    See what Saunders16 said.

Also how many under 18 year olds have ID like that? I did not. We were too poor for a holiday so I never needed a passport.
    According to the 2011 census 83% of the population have passports, varying from 78% in Wales to 92% in London.

Also, according to the FOI below about 70,000 16 and 17 year olds had driving licenses in 2009, and I assume that includes provisional, I am unsure how this compares to today.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...tatistics_uk_a

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The "Votes for 4 Year Olds" is such a fail. If only he had posted the bill in the TSR UKIP subforum so that someone else could check it...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Er a straight Nay for me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    The "Votes for 4 Year Olds" is such a fail. If only he had posted the bill in the TSR UKIP subforum so that someone else could check it...
    And it would disappear into the ether never to be seen again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    According to the 2011 census 83% of the population have passports, varying from 78% in Wales to 92% in London.

Also, according to the FOI below about 70,000 16 and 17 year olds had driving licenses in 2009, and I assume that includes provisional, I am unsure how this compares to today.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...tatistics_uk_a

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The data is very old though. Is there anything recent?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The data is very old though. Is there anything recent?
    I don't imagine driving license ownership is a particularly common FOI

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.