MercyMugo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
For my geography coursework I am investigation grain size, slope angle and distance between each slope (each slope was identified using ranging poles) along Chesil Beach. As I also need some theory behind what I am investigating, I was wondering whether people know whether you guys know any theory behind the sediment sizes, slope angle and distance between each slope on a beach profile.

I also need some theory behind the formation of spits/tombolos and barrier beaches and if there is any pattern in grain size etc on these features, so if anyone has any please post up!
CheekyAlice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MercyMugo)
Hi,
For my geography coursework I am investigation grain size, slope angle and distance between each slope (each slope was identified using ranging poles) along Chesil Beach. As I also need some theory behind what I am investigating, I was wondering whether people know whether you guys know any theory behind the sediment sizes, slope angle and distance between each slope on a beach profile.

I also need some theory behind the formation of spits/tombolos and barrier beaches and if there is any pattern in grain size etc on these features, so if anyone has any please post up!
The AQA A level Geography textbook has some useful stuff on coasts, perhaps ask your teacher when you get back?
Your coursework sounds very complex! I'm not really sure what I'm doing mine on yet... Might do something to do with deprivation and housing in the N/S divide but to be honest I'm still working on my hypothesis and question!
I think sediment size directly correlates to the energy and force of the water, don't hold me to that though! (It's been a while since I read through my water cycle notes).
The formation of spits should be quite easy to come by, you can use Google and websites as long as you keep a track of where you found your information and put it in your bibliography. The textbook I mentioned has a really detailed section on 'Spits, tombolos, bars and barrier-beaches', it also has some theory on grain size, 'The larger the size of the material, generally the steeper is the gradient of the beach (around 10-20 degrees).' etc.
Don't be put off by how thick the textbook is! Chapter 3 is on Coastal systems and landscapes
Hope this was slightly helpful...
MercyMugo
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheekyAlice)
The AQA A level Geography textbook has some useful stuff on coasts, perhaps ask your teacher when you get back?
Your coursework sounds very complex! I'm not really sure what I'm doing mine on yet... Might do something to do with deprivation and housing in the N/S divide but to be honest I'm still working on my hypothesis and question!
I think sediment size directly correlates to the energy and force of the water, don't hold me to that though! (It's been a while since I read through my water cycle notes).
The formation of spits should be quite easy to come by, you can use Google and websites as long as you keep a track of where you found your information and put it in your bibliography. The textbook I mentioned has a really detailed section on 'Spits, tombolos, bars and barrier-beaches', it also has some theory on grain size, 'The larger the size of the material, generally the steeper is the gradient of the beach (around 10-20 degrees).' etc.
Don't be put off by how thick the textbook is! Chapter 3 is on Coastal systems and landscapes
Hope this was slightly helpful...
Thankyou so much! And yes this was very helpful!
Ljubljana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thankyou so much! And yes this was very helpful!
Hi I am doing my coursework on chesil beach too!!! Wondering if we could help each other? Also how did you measure slope angle?
MercyMugo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ljubljana)
Hi I am doing my coursework on chesil beach too!!! Wondering if we could help each other? Also how did you measure slope angle?

Hey! I'm sorry for the late reply! and sure that would be great. For slope angles we use a clinometer which was a more precise piece of equipment to measure each slope angle. I'm representing that data on a graph using my protractor so you can actually see the changes in slopes along the beach profile. It almost looks like a picture from the side of the slopes
Oldl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey I’m doing Geography AQA A level and I’m struggling so much and my coursework is due in a week 😭😭
Ljubljana
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! I'm sorry for the late reply! and sure that would be great. For slope angles we use a clinometer which was a more precise piece of equipment to measure each slope angle. I'm representing that data on a graph using my protractor so you can actually see the changes in slopes along the beach profile. It almost looks like a picture from the side of the slopes
Thank you for the reply! What was the general trend in sediment size you observed as the slope angle increased?
CheekyAlice
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for the reply! What was the general trend in sediment size you observed as the slope angle increased?
Don't quote me on this but I have just been on my geography yr 13 field trip and when we looked at sediment size, the main trend was the closer to the water the particles were the smaller they were. (Water uses hydraulic action, attrition and abrasion to make the particles finer).
Good luck! I am also struggling with my NEA but mine is on economic north south divide Arghhhhhhhh
Ljubljana
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CheekyAlice)
Don't quote me on this but I have just been on my geography yr 13 field trip and when we looked at sediment size, the main trend was the closer to the water the particles were the smaller they were. (Water uses hydraulic action, attrition and abrasion to make the particles finer).
Good luck! I am also struggling with my NEA but mine is on economic north south divide Arghhhhhhhh
Thanks for replying - your NEA sounds complex but good luck!! When is your deadline?
CheekyAlice
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for replying - your NEA sounds complex but good luck!! When is your deadline?
Before the end of 2017 I think... lol
Astana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi have you finished yours?
MercyMugo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Astana)
Hi have you finished yours?
We haven't even started our data analysis. We've done everything but data analysis. My geography teacher went to an AQA coursework course because there was so much confusion from the exam board about the whole NEA. My school now has extended our internal hand in date to after our January exams. Luckily enough my data shows what I want it to show!
I know the actual hand it date for coursework is usually spring next year?
MercyMugo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Generally the further away you are from the sea front, the larger the sediment sizes so the greater the slope angles, that's backed up by loads of theory. Even if your data doesn't show this you can use theory from Chesil beach to explain why!
Astana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We haven't even started our data analysis. We've done everything but data analysis. My geography teacher went to an AQA coursework course because there was so much confusion from the exam board about the whole NEA. My school now has extended our internal hand in date to after our January exams. Luckily enough my data shows what I want it to show!
I know the actual hand it date for coursework is usually spring next year?
Yeah our internal one is before Christmas which is a bit soon. Mine is on Chesil Beach too but I'm really not sure how to answer my research questions. Our teacher hasn't been in for four weeks...
redheaded_genius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey folks, i understand that you will have all finished your NEAs by now but im about to start mine and am doing it on a sandy beach in Bournemouth any ideas what i could measure because its a sandy beach rather than a rocky one meaning that i cant really measure sediment size?? thought my title could be something along the lines of how does the beach profile change.. no clue really. any advice would be much appreciated.
CheekyAlice
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finished it a good while ago so advice might be dubious lol - but could you measure the height of the sand at the groynes? Then you could talk about how longshore drift affects the beach profile? Good luck!
(Original post by redheaded_genius)
Hey folks, i understand that you will have all finished your NEAs by now but im about to start mine and am doing it on a sandy beach in Bournemouth any ideas what i could measure because its a sandy beach rather than a rocky one meaning that i cant really measure sediment size?? thought my title could be something along the lines of how does the beach profile change.. no clue really. any advice would be much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (544)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (662)
41.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.55%

Watched Threads