Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Geography coursework 2017 COASTS Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    For my geography coursework I am investigation grain size, slope angle and distance between each slope (each slope was identified using ranging poles) along Chesil Beach. As I also need some theory behind what I am investigating, I was wondering whether people know whether you guys know any theory behind the sediment sizes, slope angle and distance between each slope on a beach profile.

I also need some theory behind the formation of spits/tombolos and barrier beaches and if there is any pattern in grain size etc on these features, so if anyone has any please post up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MercyMugo)
    Hi,
    For my geography coursework I am investigation grain size, slope angle and distance between each slope (each slope was identified using ranging poles) along Chesil Beach. As I also need some theory behind what I am investigating, I was wondering whether people know whether you guys know any theory behind the sediment sizes, slope angle and distance between each slope on a beach profile.

I also need some theory behind the formation of spits/tombolos and barrier beaches and if there is any pattern in grain size etc on these features, so if anyone has any please post up!
    The AQA A level Geography textbook has some useful stuff on coasts, perhaps ask your teacher when you get back?
    Your coursework sounds very complex! I'm not really sure what I'm doing mine on yet... Might do something to do with deprivation and housing in the N/S divide but to be honest I'm still working on my hypothesis and question!
    I think sediment size directly correlates to the energy and force of the water, don't hold me to that though! (It's been a while since I read through my water cycle notes).
    The formation of spits should be quite easy to come by, you can use Google and websites as long as you keep a track of where you found your information and put it in your bibliography. The textbook I mentioned has a really detailed section on 'Spits, tombolos, bars and barrier-beaches', it also has some theory on grain size, 'The larger the size of the material, generally the steeper is the gradient of the beach (around 10-20 degrees).' etc.
    Don't be put off by how thick the textbook is! Chapter 3 is on Coastal systems and landscapes
    Hope this was slightly helpful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheekyAlice)
    The AQA A level Geography textbook has some useful stuff on coasts, perhaps ask your teacher when you get back?
    Your coursework sounds very complex! I'm not really sure what I'm doing mine on yet... Might do something to do with deprivation and housing in the N/S divide but to be honest I'm still working on my hypothesis and question!
    I think sediment size directly correlates to the energy and force of the water, don't hold me to that though! (It's been a while since I read through my water cycle notes).
    The formation of spits should be quite easy to come by, you can use Google and websites as long as you keep a track of where you found your information and put it in your bibliography. The textbook I mentioned has a really detailed section on 'Spits, tombolos, bars and barrier-beaches', it also has some theory on grain size, 'The larger the size of the material, generally the steeper is the gradient of the beach (around 10-20 degrees).' etc.
    Don't be put off by how thick the textbook is! Chapter 3 is on Coastal systems and landscapes
    Hope this was slightly helpful...
    Thankyou so much! And yes this was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much! And yes this was very helpful!
    Hi I am doing my coursework on chesil beach too!!! Wondering if we could help each other? Also how did you measure slope angle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljubljana)
    Hi I am doing my coursework on chesil beach too!!! Wondering if we could help each other? Also how did you measure slope angle?

Hey! I'm sorry for the late reply! and sure that would be great. For slope angles we use a clinometer which was a more precise piece of equipment to measure each slope angle. I'm representing that data on a graph using my protractor so you can actually see the changes in slopes along the beach profile. It almost looks like a picture from the side of the slopes

ReputationRep:
    Hey I’m doing Geography AQA A level and I’m struggling so much and my coursework is due in a week 😭😭

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm sorry for the late reply! and sure that would be great. For slope angles we use a clinometer which was a more precise piece of equipment to measure each slope angle. I'm representing that data on a graph using my protractor so you can actually see the changes in slopes along the beach profile. It almost looks like a picture from the side of the slopes
    Thank you for the reply! What was the general trend in sediment size you observed as the slope angle increased?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply! What was the general trend in sediment size you observed as the slope angle increased?
    Don't quote me on this but I have just been on my geography yr 13 field trip and when we looked at sediment size, the main trend was the closer to the water the particles were the smaller they were. (Water uses hydraulic action, attrition and abrasion to make the particles finer).
    Good luck! I am also struggling with my NEA but mine is on economic north south divide Arghhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheekyAlice)
    Don't quote me on this but I have just been on my geography yr 13 field trip and when we looked at sediment size, the main trend was the closer to the water the particles were the smaller they were. (Water uses hydraulic action, attrition and abrasion to make the particles finer).
    Good luck! I am also struggling with my NEA but mine is on economic north south divide Arghhhhhhhh
    Thanks for replying - your NEA sounds complex but good luck!! When is your deadline?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying - your NEA sounds complex but good luck!! When is your deadline?
    Before the end of 2017 I think... lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.