The Student Room Group

Man climbs Mt Kilimanjaro while claiming Personal Independence benefits

33 year old former paratrooper Mark Lloyd, from a place in Wales with an absolutely ridiculous name I can't pronounce, has been found guilty of fraud after claiming more £6,500 in Personal Independence Payments, claiming he couldn't walk further than 50m without being in complete agony due to a slipped disc in his back.

He used the money to fund expensive trips and activities, including climbing Mt Kilimanjaro and participating in (and winning) triathlons.

Full Story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-40667991

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Mountain climbing is a hysterical paroxysm of human vanity.
I would like to commend Mark Lloyd for overcoming adversity and physical illness. It just shows what you can do with a bit of will power and British Army discipline.
Reply 3
Original post by cbreef
33 year old former paratrooper Mark Lloyd, from a place in Wales with an absolutely ridiculous name I can't pronounce, has been found guilty of fraud after claiming more £6,500 in Personal Independence Payments, claiming he couldn't walk further than 50m without being in complete agony due to a slipped disc in his back.

He used the money to fund expensive trips and activities, including climbing Mt Kilimanjaro and participating in (and winning) triathlons.

Full Story:

Thoughts?

Hopefully he pays it all back.

There was this story of a woman who falsely claimed £100,000 in benefits but only has to return £25,000.

Justice apparently
Original post by zhog
Mountain climbing is an hysterical paroxysm of human vanity.

:hat2:
Original post by SGHD26716
Hopefully he pays it all back.

There was this story of a woman who falsely claimed £100,000 in benefits but only has to return £25,000.

Justice apparently

Do you have a link?
Reply 7
c'mon now, he was obviously climbing it on one of his good days....
Original post by cbreef

Full Story:

Thoughts?

You probably read it in the Daily Fail or saw it on one of those regular right wing channel 5 benefits bashing programs. The kind of show where they get an Olympic athlete to say he claims incapacity benefits because hes totally paralysed and films him winning gold. So all the small minded bigots then decide the only solution is to abolish benefits altogether.
Welcome to Tory Britain and its state controlled Murdoch media. They'll say anything like the horrible things the say about Abbot and Corbyn. and the lies against migration and asylum seekers.

Read the Guarduan that's a decent paper.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
You probably read it in the Daily Fail or saw it on one of those regular right wing channel 5 benefits bashing programs. The kind of show where they get an Olympic athlete to say he claims incapacity benefits because hes totally paralysed and films him winning gold. So all the small minded bigots then decide the only solution is to abolish benefits altogether.
Welcome to Tory Britain and its state controlled Murdoch media. They'll say anything like the horrible things the say about Abbot and Corbyn. and the lies against migration and asylum seekers.

On top of everything else. It appears you can't read too.
Has he been sentenced? I couldn't find any indication in the article.
Original post by cbreef
On top of everything else. It appears you can't read too.

Yes I can.
Original post by cbreef
33 year old former paratrooper Mark Lloyd, from a place in Wales with an absolutely ridiculous name I can't pronounce,

"Uh-nis-uh-bull"
Original post by TimmonaPortella

I don't think so.

Yes I can.

You clearly missed this in the title. You that can apparently read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-40667991
Original post by Captain Haddock
"Uh-nis-uh-bull"

Thank you.

Here is the BBC
And here is The Guardian

To be sentenced in August

Try not to take anything he says seriously. :yep:

Oh yeah, not sure why I didn't see that.

Odd that he was convicted in the Magistrates. I'd have thought fraudulently obtaining thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money would merit serious jail time.
Oh yeah, not sure why I didn't see that.

Odd that he was convicted in the Magistrates. I'd have thought fraudulently obtaining thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money would merit serious jail time.

Benefit cheats don't get jail time, just a slap on the wrist.

Quick Reply

Latest