Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Man climbs Mt Kilimanjaro while claiming Personal Independence benefits Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Oh yeah, not sure why I didn't see that.

Odd that he was convicted in the Magistrates. I'd have thought fraudulently obtaining thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money would merit serious jail time.
    The touchstone for Crown Court trial tends to be around £35,000 of benefit fraud.

Effectively this has caught the eye for two reasons Firstly there is the nature of the evidence that demonstrates the fraud. This wouldn't have attracted attention if the DWP had simply had a video of him walking a mile with his dog.

Secondly, and unusually, he pleaded "not guilty". Most benefit cheas plead guilty.
    Generally if the calculation of an overpayment is easy and the sums small the prosecuter seeks a compensation order from the convicting court but if the overpayment calculation is more complex the DWP will make an overpayment decision which carries a right of appeal to a tribunal.

Amazingly, a good proportion of those who admit benefit fraud in the Magistrates Court subsequently try and deny it before the tribunal. That does not get them anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    He's a solider which makes left wing students envious of his achievements. He can get up Kilimanjaro most people complaint about him can't even get out of bed.

I don't see it as benefit fraud, I simply see it as him claiming back the taxes the state stole from him.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
    He's a solider which makes left wing students envious of his achievements. He can get up Kilimanjaro most people complaint about him can't even get out of bed.

I don't see it as benefit fraud, I simply see it as him claiming back the taxes the state stole from him.
    Am I missing something? He chose to be a soldier - right?

Taxes are written into statute law, right?

Fraudulently claiming benefits is against the law, right?

The general public votes in a political party based on their manifesto policies, right?

People are free to vote for a political party that eschews taxation, right?

The general public have not voted for a party to remove employee taxation, right?

So what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    from a place in Wales with an absolutely ridiculous name I can't pronounce
    Could apply to any of 'em.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

eh? You have to be pretty severely disabled to get benefits in the first place. And even then, those of us with severe disabilities have had to fight for them.

He has committed fraud by claiming he is far more disabled than he quite clearly is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    You probably read it in the Daily Fail or saw it on one of those regular right wing channel 5 benefits bashing programs. The kind of show where they get an Olympic athlete to say he claims incapacity benefits because hes totally paralysed and films him winning gold. So all the small minded bigots then decide the only solution is to abolish benefits altogether.
    Welcome to Tory Britain and its state controlled Murdoch media. They'll say anything like the horrible things the say about Abbot and Corbyn. and the lies against migration and asylum seekers.

Read the Guarduan that's a decent paper.
    No thanks, I normally vote labour but I can not stand the guardian, it should go back to be a insignificant lib Dem paper. There are people who are milking the welfare system, some have done it for years, the problem is we haven't done enough to route it out, abolishing benefits will never happen all the tories do is reduce the amount in a bid to try and force people into working, some people sell drugs aswell as being on JSA they will never be interested in work. It does exist but I think it is somewhat exaggerated for the viewers ie benefit street

ReputationRep:
    The thing is with people on benefits, they don't realise that the government etc. are waiting for you to mess up and now this happens. No sympathy for benefit cheats though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Am I missing something? He chose to be a soldier - right?

Taxes are written into statute law, right?

Fraudulently claiming benefits is against the law, right?

The general public votes in a political party based on their manifesto policies, right?

People are free to vote for a political party that eschews taxation, right?

The general public have not voted for a party to remove employee taxation, right?

So what's the problem?
    Taxation is theft but I don't expect a statist leftie sheep like yourself to understand that.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Taxation is theft but I don't expect a statist leftie sheep like yourself to understand that.
    FYI, the UK is not an AnCap state.

At least you have a sense of humour.

ReputationRep:
    lol wtf
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    The thing is with people on benefits, they don't realise that the government etc. are waiting for you to mess up and now this happens. No sympathy for benefit cheats though.
    And they use absolutely everything against you as well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.