The Student Room Group

2nd order differential equations help

This is my second post today on second differential equations (so I apologise) but need help on this.

fp2.jpg
The pic shows the working out of the first half of the question incase anyone wants to know the question initially but the black box is where I'm focusing at for this post.

First question, I understand where ddu\frac {d}{du} (underlined in red) came from but I don't know what happened to it to the second line where the product rule was used.

Secondly, on the second line where the product rule was used, xx has been substituted in for dxdu\frac {dx}{du} (underlined in blue) but wasn't this meant be differentiated or am I missing something?
Original post by ManLike007
This is my second post today on second differential equations (so I apologise) but need help on this.

fp2.jpg
The pic shows the working out of the first half of the question incase anyone wants to know the question initially but the black box is where I'm focusing at for this post.

First question, I understand where ddu\frac {d}{du} (underlined in red) came from but I don't know what happened to it to the second line where the product rule was used.

Secondly, on the second line where the product rule was used, xx has been substituted in for dxdu\frac {dx}{du} (underlined in blue) but wasn't this meant be differentiated or am I missing something?

For the second line:

The first product is the derivative of the x with respect to u (i.e. dx/du), with the dy/dx unchanged.

The second product is the x unchanged with the deritivative of the dy/dx with respect to u.

I.e. x×ddu(dydx)\displaystyle x\times \frac{d}{du}\left(\frac{dy}{dx} \right)

And via the chain rules this equals

x×ddx(dydx)×dxdu\displaystyle x\times \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx} \right)\times \frac{dx}{du}

=x×d2ydx2×dxdu\displaystyle = x\times \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\times \frac{dx}{du}

I think that covers both your questions - if not, let me know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
For the second line:

The first product is the derivative of the x with respect to u (i.e. dx/du), with the dy/dx unchanged.

The second product is the x unchanged with the deritivative of the dy/dx with respect to u.

I.e. x×ddu(dydx)\displaystyle x\times \frac{d}{du}\left(\frac{dy}{dx} \right)

And via the chain rules this equals

x×ddx(dydx)×dxdu\displaystyle x\times \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx} \right)\times \frac{dx}{du}

=x×d2ydx2×dxdu\displaystyle = x\times \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\times \frac{dx}{du}

I think that covers both your questions - if not, let me know.

Oh ok that clears everything up, thanks for your time!
Reply 3
@ghostwalker I'm sorry to bother you again but I need help on this because the text book doesn't have an example for using a substitution of y=zxy=\frac{z}{x}

fp2 2.jpg
I got as far as d2zdx2=ddx×dzdx\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} \times \frac{dz}{dx}

Therefore, d2zdx2=ddx(xdydx+y)\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (x \frac{dy}{dx} + y) but I don't know how to apply the product rule from here to get the correct answer.

(I didn't see the point of making a new thread in all honesty)
@ghostwalker I'm sorry to bother you again but I need help on this because the text book doesn't have an example for using a substitution of y=zxy=\frac{z}{x}

fp2 2.jpg
I got as far as d2zdx2=ddx×dzdx\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} \times \frac{dz}{dx}

Just correct that bit. Taking the derivative, is applying a function, so that should be

d2zdx2=ddx(dzdx)\displaystyle\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dz}{dx}\right)

Therefore, d2zdx2=ddx(xdydx+y)\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (x \frac{dy}{dx} + y) but I don't know how to apply the product rule from here to get the correct answer.

(I didn't see the point of making a new thread in all honesty)

To start, the derivative of the sum of two functions is the sum of the two derivatives, so this becomes:

d2zdx2=ddx(xdydx)+ddx(y)\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} \left(x \frac{dy}{dx}\right) +\frac{d}{dx}(y)

I'd like to see you have a go from there. If you can do it - excellent. If not, try and be specific about the issue you're having. Can you identify the two parts in the product? Are you sufficiently familiar with the product rule itself to apply it, without simplifying. Does one of the two parts, rather than the other, cause the problem? The more precisely you can define the issue, the easier you'll find you can get past it. Apologies, if those were all obvious to you.
Reply 5
Just correct that bit. Taking the derivative, is applying a function, so that should be

d2zdx2=ddx(dzdx)\displaystyle\frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{dz}{dx}\right)

To start, the derivative of the sum of two functions is the sum of the two derivatives, so this becomes:

d2zdx2=ddx(xdydx)+ddx(y)\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}z}{dx^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} \left(x \frac{dy}{dx}\right) +\frac{d}{dx}(y)

I'd like to see you have a go from there. If you can do it - excellent. If not, try and be specific about the issue you're having. Can you identify the two parts in the product? Are you sufficiently familiar with the product rule itself to apply it, without simplifying. Does one of the two parts, rather than the other, cause the problem? The more precisely you can define the issue, the easier you'll find you can get past it. Apologies, if those were all obvious to you.

Apologies for the late reply

I'm still getting the wrong answer, I can see that I need to apply the product rule for ddx(xdydx)\frac {d}{dx} (x \frac {dy}{dx}) where this is familiar from the first question of this thread above and also apply the product rule for ddx(y)\frac {d}{dx} (y) but for this, I don't know how to differentiate ddx\frac {d}{dx} if I'm not mistaken

The issue I'm having is that I don't know how to differentiate generally things like dydx\frac {dy}{dx}
Apologies for the late reply

I'm still getting the wrong answer, I can see that I need to apply the product rule for ddx(xdydx)\frac {d}{dx} (x \frac {dy}{dx}) where this is familiar from the first question of this thread above

OK.

and also apply the product rule for ddx(y)\frac {d}{dx} (y) but for this, I don't know how to differentiate ddx\frac {d}{dx} if I'm not mistaken

I suspect the notation mistake in your previous post is a symptom of your problem.

ddx(y)\frac {d}{dx} (y) does not require the product rule. It's simply the derivative of y with respect to x, i.e. dy/dx.

It does NOT mean d/dx times y, but rather the derivative of y with respect to x.
The d/dx can be considered as a function acting on y.

d (sin x)/dx for example is the function "take the derivative with respect to x" acting on sin x, which would be cos x, as I'm sure you're aware.

The issue I'm having is that I don't know how to differentiate generally things like dydx\frac {dy}{dx}

In this case if you need to differenetiate by the same variable again, i.e. by x, then you'd go to the next level of derivative:

ddx(dydx)=d2ydx2\displaystyle \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}

But suppose you need to differentiate by u. Then you'd need the chain rule:

ddu(dydx)=ddx(dydx)×dxdu\displaystyle \dfrac{d}{du}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\times\frac{dx}{du}

which equals

d2ydx2×dxdu\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\times \frac{dx}{du}
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
OK.

I suspect the notation mistake in your previous post is a symptom of your problem.

ddx(y)\frac {d}{dx} (y) does not require the product rule. It's simply the derivative of y with respect to x, i.e. dy/dx.

It does NOT mean d/dx times y, but rather the derivative of y with respect to x.
The d/dx can be considered as a function acting on y.

d (sin x)/dx for example is the function "take the derivative with respect to x" acting on sin x, which would be cos x, as I'm sure you're aware.

In this case if you need to differenetiate by the same variable again, i.e. by x, then you'd go to the next level of derivative:

ddx(dydx)=d2ydx2\displaystyle \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}

But suppose you need to differentiate by u. Then you'd need the chain rule:

ddu(dydx)=ddx(dydx)×dxdu\displaystyle \dfrac{d}{du}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)=\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\times\frac{dx}{du}

which equals

d2ydx2×dxdu\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\times \frac{dx}{du}

Oh my god I don't know why but I was overthinking what ddx\frac {d}{dx} was because this is FP2, my bad.

I went and attempted the last three questions of the exercise that involved substitution and I got them right, I can't thank you enough because I spent hours on substitution yesterday.

Quick Reply

Latest