Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Christian Churches are hypocritical in teachings of abortion and euthanasia Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So the reason that abortion and euthanasia are illegal in most countries is due to the fact that they don't abide by the Christian Church teaching of the "sanctity of life". This teaching involves the belief that God has a plan for all of us and he decides when we die and it isn't up to humans and that we shouldn't take this matter into our own hands. However, doesn't that mean that resuscitating someone after they have a heart attack is preserving life beyond its natural span? I mean if God plans for us to die then, why should we interfere?

ReputationRep:
    test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAMAL 69)
    So the reason that abortion and euthanasia are illegal in most countries is due to the fact that they don't abide by the Christian Church teaching of the "sanctity of life". This teaching involves the belief that God has a plan for all of us and he decides when we die and it isn't up to humans and that we shouldn't take this matter into our own hands. However, doesn't that mean that resuscitating someone after they have a heart attack is preserving life beyond its natural span? I mean if God plans for us to die then, why should we interfere?
    Ok. So you made some mistakes. Let me explain.

Yes, Christians believe in the sanctity of life. But the problem is you defined the sanctity of life wrong.

The sanctity of life is the idea that human life is sacred. The biblical basis for this is where it says that mankind is "made in the image of God". People are "image-bearers", and therefore, we (people) have no right to kill another person (without justification).

Sanctity of life is not about God having a plan for us, and if we murder someone, then we are interfering with his plan. The bible teaches that God achieves his plan, through everything that happens. It says that God "works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will". God has a plan, and it will come to pass, whether we do good or evil.

The issue is that only God has the authority to destroy people, because people are made in the image of God. People are valuable, people are sacred, because they are made in the image of God. I hope this makes sense.

That said, Christians do talk about whether medicine attempts to play God, by pushing back death. I'm a medical student and so this topic particularly resonates with me. I find doctors are often driven more towards working towards "a good death" than simply prolonging life - ie. good palliative care, good pain management, making decisions in advance about the likely benefits of resuscitation etc. That said, we are striving to find more treatments for cancers, we treat pulmonary embolisms and strokes and give patients lifelong medications to prevent future ones, we give lung transplants, liver transplants, bone marrow transplants etc etc etc. All these things push death back. I can see the case for the idea that we are playing God.

It's just not as simple as defying God's will. Nobody can do that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    It's just not as simple as defying God's will. Nobody can do that.
    Does that make attempts to save people's lives redundant then as they'd only be saved subject to God's will?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Does that make attempts to save people's lives redundant then as they'd only be saved subject to God's will?
    No. The decision whether to attempt to save someone's life is a part of God's fore-ordained plan as well. Fundamentally, all things happen in accordance with God's will, whether that be the ends (someone being saved from death or not) or the means (the decision made by a doctor to intervene, and the intervention).

ReputationRep:
    Depends what Christian denomination and Church you are talking about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.