Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    - No matter how good you are they'll always be someone smarter/better looking/taller/better at sports than you at uni

- They tell you about Fresher's flu, but nothing prepares you.

- You will wake up on a random floor at "least" once during Freshers

- You will be so used to saying where you're from/what you're studying/what halls you're in you'll be like a robot in the end.

- House parties are much better than clubs.

- You'll never use all those free condoms up they give you in freshers, nor will you get bored of the free yo-yos.

- Friendships and social groups are very transient.

- It's cheaper up north and better.

- The gurls :coma:

- The library is open 24/7 but you will only use it during deadline week.

- You will never be lonely, just interact with as many people as possible during freshers/from your course..

- Pasta will become a meal you have at least 3 nights a week.

-Cereal also becomes an acceptable meal, at all times of the day/night.

- No matter how tough you are you'll miss home.

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 bowls of cereal a day, one at night and one in the morning...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    - You will be so used to saying where you're from/what you're studying/what halls you're in you'll be like a robot in the end
    This :lol:

Every single new person you meet will be these 3 questions then awkward silence

ReputationRep:
    "you'll never be lonely"

Lol, unfortunately this wasn't the case for me..
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You have to pester your lecturer to upload lecture slides.

ReputationRep:
    - No matter how good you are they'll always be someone smarter/better looking/taller/better at sports than you at uni

- You will be so used to saying where you're from/what you're studying/what halls you're in you'll be like a robot in the end.

- You'll never use all those free condoms up they give you in freshers, nor will you get bored of the free yo-yos.

- You will never be lonely, just interact with as many people as possible during freshers/from your course..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    "you'll never be lonely"

Gotta swim amongst the fishes!

ReputationRep:
    join societies they said, youll have fun they said....

tbh they are good, just very expensive and nights out with the soc can be pricy too, and there's a joining fee for them to?!!- THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    :cry2:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting uni soon and I got a question. What's freshers week really? Does it apply to those that don't live in the campus and live at home?

ReputationRep:
    Lectures are mostly a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    join societies they said, youll have fun they said....

tbh they are good, just very expensive and nights out with the soc can be pricy too, and there's a joining fee for them to?!!- THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT
    Sorry, what?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have atleast 103837 fire alarms during the first term during the rain and in pitch blackness are you even a fresher?

ReputationRep:
    Another one is: your lecturers will intimidate you with 100s of pages of 'essential' reading a day, but don't do it because in the exams you'll be lucky to use 1% of that reading.

ReputationRep:
    Also be prepared to have intense debates about what part of the North/South divide you're on. EVEN IF YOU'RE FROM THE MIDLANDS. Apparently it doesn't exist so you outta pick a side :')

ReputationRep:

I think the first one is a lesson for life haha!

mine are

1. uni is fun and you will make a lot of friends if you put in the effort. it also can be a massive drain on your mental health. it might happen in first year or it might hit you like a ton of bricks in 3rd year.. or you might be completely fine! but if you have the slightest worry about it, book a counselling session with your uni straight away, even if it seems dumb and small! even if you're just upset about a drunken squabble with your fave housemate... just talk about it!

2. if you're going to do drugs make sure you're senisble, don't take anything if you don't know what it is or where it came from and you have read online about safety and long term effects before and are fully educated about what you're going to take. also don't feel pressured to take drugs just because others are! same goes for drinking!

3. you get used to "the fear" pretty quickly... and regret nothing alcohol related in first year... it's only a couple of years later all your embarassing behaviour comes back to haunt you but you're glad it happened because it was fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    "you'll never be lonely"

it's the case for a lot of people. i have felt very lonely at uni sometimes even when surrounded by brilliant friends who i could talk to about anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    it's the case for a lot of people. i have felt very lonely at uni sometimes even when surrounded by brilliant friends who i could talk to about anything.
    it's very demotivating
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    - you actually can be lonely even if you're with a lot of people around you*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A TRUE HOLIDAY WHILE THE UNI YEAR IS STILL ON. Every xmas and easter will be spent completing assingments and studying, the only difference is that you will be at home.
    You might fit in one or two things but thats about it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.