Manager made offensive comments on my disability at work, what shall I do?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm fed up of this one particular staff member who thinks he's above everyone ever since he became a manager recently, he's been working here for 10 years and I've been here for 6 months. I have hearing disability in which I'm not required to answer the telephone. It's a retail job so we have like 5 managers. Today the phone was ringing in front of me and I didn't answer it and this new manager walked pass and asked me why I don't pick the phone up. So I explained to him that my supervisor has told me I'm not required due to my hearing problem and I wear hearing aids and he responded with a grin then giggle and said "Well I'm gonna wear them as well so I don't have to". This hurt me so bad and upset me however I kept my cool and acted as if everything was normal. Deep down I'm really pissed off and I must do something about this because this staff member is abusing his position by targeting me due to being a vulnerable person. I've heard of disability discrimination act and all these laws who protect disabled people but can someone guide me how I go about contacting them please. Thanks.
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Report him, people like that shouldn't even be managers if they can't respect.

This should help:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/50/contents

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-yo...hat-you-can-do
Nuba123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
sue dat ass
applesforme
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it's just some people think they are so witty and a "people person" and they get it really wrong. I don't think they were trying to insult you. I would report this person and the incident as soon as possible as he shouldn't be making "jokes" like this.
username2908878
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He sounds like a ******** ! Don't let him get away with it, it sounds like
He thought he was being funny but sometimes
People have no idea how much offence 'jokes' can cause . Retail managers tend to be knob heads anyway , losers !
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm fed up of this one particular staff member who thinks he's above everyone ever since he became a manager recently, he's been working here for 10 years and I've been here for 6 months. I have hearing disability in which I'm not required to answer the telephone. It's a retail job so we have like 5 managers. Today the phone was ringing in front of me and I didn't answer it and this new manager walked pass and asked me why I don't pick the phone up. So I explained to him that my supervisor has told me I'm not required due to my hearing problem and I wear hearing aids and he responded with a grin then giggle and said "Well I'm gonna wear them as well so I don't have to". This hurt me so bad and upset me however I kept my cool and acted as if everything was normal. Deep down I'm really p*ssed off and I must do something about this because this staff member is abusing his position by targeting me due to being a vulnerable person. I've heard of disability discrimination act and all these laws who protect disabled people but can someone guide me how I go about contacting them please. Thanks.
Do you have a copy of your contract? It will have the grievance procedure in it and tell you exactly who to contact in your business.
applesforme
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OP, have you looked here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...nd-harassment/
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tell him he has a small d*ck.

Seriously though, that's so bad, i probably would've done the same and sat there...

I bet he's only a manager because he's a brown nose; only those type of people.make comments like that.

So go sue that choad ass mf.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
sounds like he just tried to make a funny joke and didn't realise the comment would be offensive, it's a bit ignorant but it's not like he was actively discriminating against you... if he ever says anything similar you can just say 'actually my disability isn't a joke, thanks' and move on, he'll probably get the picture.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Doesn't sound like he was being intentionally nasty, just thought he was being funny but actually ended up being insensitive. Do tell someone though if it's upset you that much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (83)
26.18%
England (108)
34.07%
Belgium (27)
8.52%
Germany (38)
11.99%
Spain (5)
1.58%