Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've graduated with a 2.1 in biomedicine and I would like to apply for medicine next year. I will work as a healthcare assistant this year and get some work experience in a clinical setting.

I am worried that universities where I would like to study medicine such as kings college and UCL assess graduates on their A levels. Unfortunately, I didn't do too great in my A levels and I don't want them to keep me from studying medicine because I am very passionate about medicine and it is something I have set my mind on for a very long time. I didn't give up on medicine hence I studied biomedicine.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RESIT A LEVELS BIO AND CHEM?

I would really appreciate if graduates who are now studying medicine can tell me about their experiences when applying for medicine. Also, if anyone else who is in the same situation as me can post here too. I would really appreciate some help/feedback.

Can anyone tell me if Queen Mary's also require graduates to have strong A levels.

Also, do meds schools look at your Alevels and GCSEs if you're a graduate applying to standard entry medicine (A100?

PS. I know UCL doesn't so GEM anymore but I would like to apply for A100 standard entry medicine. I love UCL medical school I wish I could go there.

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drkdrama)
    Hi,
    I've graduated with a 2.1 in biomedicine at birkbeck university and I would like to apply for medicine next year. I will work as a healthcare assistant this year and get some work experience in a clinical setting.

I am worried that universities where I would like to study medicine such as kings college and UCL assess graduates on their A levels. Unfortunately, I didn't do too great in my A levels and I don't want them to keep me from studying medicine because I am very passionate about medicine and it is something I have set my mind on for a very long time. I didn't give up on medicine hence I studied biomedicine.

I would really appreciate if graduates who are now studying medicine can tell me about their experiences when applying for medicine. Also, if anyone else who is in the same situation as me can post here too. I would really appreciate some help/feedback.

Can anyone tell me if Queen Mary's also require graduates to have strong A levels.

PS. I know UCL doesn't so GEM anymore but I would like to apply for A100 standard entry medicine. I love UCL medical school I wish I could go there.

Thanks!
    Its a case of doing your homework and then applying to your strengths. A lot will depend on your UKCAT (and GAMSAT if you decide to sit it).

I take it you know about the lack of funding for graduates on 5 year courses and have the £36+k

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've graduated with a 2.1 in biomedicine at birkbeck university and I would like to apply for medicine next year. I will work as a healthcare assistant this year and get some work experience in a clinical setting.

Thanks!
    General rule: if you don't meet the A level requirements (or any of the requirements), you shouldn't apply to that medical school - it's a waste of one of your options.

Though as far as I'm aware, GKT doesn't have any A level requirements. There are actually quite a few GEPs which have no A level requirements whatsoever e.g. Warwick, Newcastle, Swansea, etc. If your A level results are not your strong point, you should look into these other medical schools.

UCL has never had a GEP - if you're planning on applying to their A100 course, make sure it's a financially feasible option for you as you will not be able to get an NHS bursary and tuition fee loan in the same way which you would on a GEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Its a case of doing your homework and then applying to your strengths. A lot will depend on your UKCAT (and GAMSAT if you decide to sit it).

I take it you know about the lack of funding for graduates on 5 year courses and have the £36+k

Hey thanks for replying

Yeah, I did have a look and I'm aware that the UKCAT, BMAT and GAMSAT scores are very important in the application however I am still worried about my Alevels because I got a B in biology and a low C in chemistry although I had a fair amount of chem in biomedicine and had no issues with chemistry at all...

Yeah regarding the finance, I'm hoping to work while studying... I know it may be a lot but if it does get too stressful I can always rely on my family who are very supportive :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    General rule: if you don't meet the A level requirements (or any of the requirements), you shouldn't apply to that medical school - it's a waste of one of your options.

Though as far as I'm aware, GKT doesn't have any A level requirements. There are actually quite a few GEPs which have no A level requirements whatsoever e.g. Warwick, Newcastle, Swansea, etc. If your A level results are not your strong point, you should look into these other medical schools.

UCL has never had a GEP - if you're planning on applying to their A100 course, make sure it's a financially feasible option for you as you will not be able to get an NHS bursary and tuition fee loan in the same way which you would on a GEP.
    Thank you so much for your reply!
    You're right I guess... I did have a look at Warwick, Nottingham, St Georges etc but I would like to stay at home while I study since I would need to pay a lot of fees for meds school anyway

About Nhs bursaries,I've just come to know about it. Perhaps I may go down the GEM but again I hear the places for GEM are limited and it's much more competitive to get in than the standard entry (A100).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06moca1)
    Since you are a graduate, I would think you are capable of reading the admission page of these universities. Additionally, you should not apply to Qmul as they prefer 1st class

Wow 😳 Cheers for pointing that out but I had been on most of the university pages and didn't get the answers I was looking for or I was confused by how vague some of the information was.

Oh, didn't know QMUL required a first class...

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm planning to apply to QMUL and KCL as a graduate too (most likely for standard entry medicine A100).

Queen Mary doesn't require A levels in chemistry and/or biology provided that your degree contained sufficient amount of courses in that particular field of study. Go on the degree checker on their website to see what the A level requirements are with your degree.

Similarly, KCL states on their website that: "The minimum entry requirement is a grade B at A-Level Chemistry and Biology plus an upper second class honours degree (a lower second class honours degree is acceptable combined with a master’s degree with at least a merit). Graduates who have a sufficient quantity of Biology or Chemistry as part of their degree may not need the A-Level in this subject."

That's what I have found thus far, but you should probably e-mail the schools and ask them about your particular degree and your A level requirements just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    Wow 😳 Cheers for pointing that out but I had been on most of the university pages and didn't get the answers I was looking for or I was confused by how vague some of the information was.

Oh, didn't know QMUL required a first class...
    Yes i think last year only 2-3 people got in with a 2.1 at Qmul. This year my friend with 680 UKCAT and a 2.1 got rejected while I got an interview with 617 and a 1st.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.