Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

cure for alcoholic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    any cure for alcoholic? like nicotine patches for smokers?

ReputationRep:
    stop drinking

ReputationRep:
    suppose you drink because of emotional reasons, what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turtle)
    There is no sure fire cure. Things like AA meetings help but many alcoholics never recover.

ReputationRep:
    *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    You deal with the emotional and psychological causes for your drinking.
    If you are having physical reactions to doing without alcohol go and see a doctor. You may be given tranquillisers, antidepressants or sedatives, depending on your symptoms. For the psychological and emotional aspects, go to AA or any of the other groups and/or to a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.

ReputationRep:
    alcohol

ReputationRep:
    what's AA? can you do or say anything to help this- alcoholic problem?

ReputationRep:
    first of all admit ur an alcoholic
    then get someone to help you control ur drinking

ReputationRep:
    what's AA? can you do or say anything to help this- alcoholic problem?
    Alcoholics Anonymous

It is a group of alcholics that get to giver and discuss their problems and how they are dealing with it. The aim of the is to get them to admit they are alcholics as many of them don't realise they have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    what does 'someone' do to help?
    have they got AA on the net?

ReputationRep:
    what does 'someone' do to help?
    have they got AA on the net?
    It is just talking and it also means you meet people with more problems than yourself which puts your own problems into perspective.

I am not sure if there is a website I will have a look but I know it will be in the phone book.

ReputationRep:
    Search the area you live in here and it iwll come up with any local meetings

http://www.aa-uk.org.uk/lists/htf.htm

ReputationRep:
    thanks. anything that you can say to stop this alcoholic?

ReputationRep:
    Why's it called "Alcoholics Anonymous" when the first thing you do is say "Hi I'm John, and I'm an alcoholic..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Why's it called "Alcoholics Anonymous" when the first thing you do is say "Hi I'm John, and I'm an alcoholic..."
    Hehe.

There's a kind of pledge they make at the beginning - something like 'what is said in this room stays in this room.' Hence the huge fuss made when Naomi Campbell was photographed emerging from an Narcotics Anonymous Meeting.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a meeting before, but I found that the talking didnt really help. I quit by myself, though I take the occasional drink.

ReputationRep:
    thanks. anything that you can say to stop this alcoholic?
    In what way is this person an alcholic? It seems to me if this person knows he/she is an alcholic then they are already have way there for a cure.

PS you can never really cure an alcholic, even when they stop drinking they are still an alcoholic.

ReputationRep:
    Its true an alcoholic will always be an alcoholic. Trust me, I used to be one!! I know I am still very young but I am. I realised i was one when i was sitting my maths GCSE and had a bottle of vodka and orange (to disguise it) by me. I haven't stopped drinking but I have never got that bad again. Some alcoholics will never stop drinking, some will stop and become tee-total. Very few like me manage to control the need to drink and manage to stop once started.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.