The Student Room Group

British drink drivers could be banned from travelling to USA?

Yet another category of people are to be banned from travel to the USA by Trump.. While I do not in any way condone drink driving, its a disgusting activity, I can't see how DD'ers pose a security threat to the USA unless they attempt to drive while there?? Surely a holiday not involving use of a car or motorbike should not be a problem at all.

Currently British DD'ers can not apply for an Esta visa to visit the USA on a holiday and once the DD endorsement expires in the UK the US sees it as a lifelong endorsement.

So much for our special relationship with the USA.....it seems that only works one way and not to the advantage of the British.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
Yet another category of people are to be banned from travel to the USA by Trump.. While I do not in any way condone drink driving, its a disgusting activity, I can't see how DD'ers pose a security threat to the USA unless they attempt to drive while there?? Surely a holiday not involving use of a car or motorbike should not be a problem at all.

Currently British DD'ers can not apply for an Esta visa to visit the USA on a holiday and once the DD endorsement expires in the UK the US sees it as a lifelong endorsement.

So much for our special relationship with the USA.....it seems that only works one way and not to the advantage of the British.

This has been around since well before Trump was President so I'm not sure why you're blaming him :confused:

Anyway, I have to agree. The United States are quite entitled to be picky of who they allow to enter their territory, like every country is.

How about just dont drink and drive in the first place?

What on earth are you on about? I've known many people (recently) who have been done for drink driving and still been granted an esta.

The esta questions are:

[*]1) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?
[*]2) Have you ever violated any law related to possessing, using or distributing illegal drugs?
[*]3) Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage or genocide?
[*]4) Have you ever committed fraud or misrepresented yourself or others to obtain, or assist others to obtain, a visa or entry into the United States?
[*]Drink driving isn't even mentioned...
GOOD. Alcohol is the Devil's juice.
maybe ppl shouldnt drink drive then they wouldnt have to worry/be mad about not being let in?...just a thought.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't care, drink drivers already risk too much.
Good.
Reply 7
Oh the poor drink drivers.... what a shame. There seems to be far too much mollycoddling nowadays.

As a foreign citizen you have no right to go to America or any other country, generally they want you because you bring money.

As far as I'm concerned it's the sign of a bad or feeble person. Personally I wouldn't want drink drivers coming over here from America so why should British drink drivers go over there.

Drink drivers kill people with their stupidity and selfishness, they deserve nothing but derision, in some companies you can't get a job with a DD conviction no matter how long ago so why would any country want them?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Why should America accept criminals entering their country?
Because drink driving is a criminal offence which has to be declared to immigration, regardless of the time that's elapsed since it occurred. If you do the full CRB check here it would still always come up as well.
Drink drivers have had to apply for their visas directly from the embassy for many years. You cannot enter the USA with esta. you will be interviewed and each case decided on merit. If you try and are declined entry you will be refused entry for at least three years and returned home You are expected to find this out for yourself. Ignorance of the law is no defence
I know one who booked a trip to Florida, then applied and was turned down. Lost holiday. Serves him right!
Why would they want a drink driver on their roads?
(edited 6 years ago)
best policy yet
If they're down to risk the lives of themselves and everyone else on the road (potentially) then they can risk not visiting universal studios, too.

I don't really care either way, but I've heard if you get a criminal record full stop then you're not allowed in and as far as I'm aware, drink driving gets you one of those.
If someone has family in the USA and they'll never drink drive again, I can't see why they can't have a visa.
But then again, they shouldn't have drunk too much in the first place so meh :redface:
Reply 14
Could not care less; drink drivers have no consideration for the lives of others, why should I care about them? They're disgusting wastes of human anatomy.
Original post by Sammylou40
Drink drivers have had to apply for their visas directly from the embassy for many years. You cannot enter the USA with esta. you will be interviewed and each case decided on merit. If you try and are declined entry you will be refused entry for at least three years and returned home You are expected to find this out for yourself. Ignorance of the law is no defence
I know one who booked a trip to Florida, then applied and was turned down. Lost holiday. Serves him right!
Why would they want a drink driver on their roads?

I do not condone drink drivers at all, but other countries don't refuse them entry or such as France, Germany etc, Thry don't require visas etc and review driving convictions, why has the USA got to be so different?
What is this special relationship all about? It seems our real freinds are not over the Atlantic but only a short hop across the English Channel.

What other group of people will the USA ban next???
(edited 6 years ago)
Drink drivers should be placed under house arrest for the rest of their life, let alone being able to travel to such an amazing country like the USA.

I'm exaggerating here obviously - But I couldn't care less if a convicted criminal is banned from travelling to a country which has the absolute right to decide who to let in.
I do not condone drink drivers at all, but other countries don't refuse them entry such as France, Germany etc, why has the USA got to be so different?
What is this special relationship all about? It seems our real freinds are not over the Atlantic but only a short hop across the English Channel.

France & Germany arent allowed to not let them in under freedom of movement -its a false equivalency to compare them

As I said the US is well within its right not to allow anyone they dont want within its' borders
(edited 6 years ago)
I do not condone drink drivers at all, but other countries don't refuse them entry or such as France, Germany etc, Thry don't require visas etc and review driving convictions, why has the USA got to be so different?

The USA can enforce whatever restrictions it wants
Drink drivers are scum.
The only people who could be remotely offended are those who are prone to drink driving or have a conviction. Tough.
Don't commit the crime if you don't like the penalties
Good for them!
Perhaps we can do similar things once out of the eu
I'd love to know how many of you have driven whilst over the limit without realising it. Whilst I have no time at all for those who intentionally drink and drive, a couple of my friends have been caught over the limit when they honestly believed they had waited long enough to drive - it's far more common than you may think.

Latest