Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got my undergraduate degree from uk top 20 unviersity. However, I found out that I wnated a career in Psychology instead of my current subject. Therefore, I am looking to apply a MSc Psychology conversion course.

I am thinking of going to Sheffield Hallam University for the MSc Psychology conversion.

I would like to study PhD educational/ developmental Psychology after this Master degree. I wonder whether the reputation of university (Master degree) affect my chance of getting into a good University for PhD in the future ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 578.ccu)
    Got my undergraduate degree from uk top 20 unviersity. However, I found out that I wnated a career in Psychology instead of my current subject. Therefore, I am looking to apply a MSc Psychology conversion course.

I am thinking of going to Sheffield Hallam University for the MSc Psychology conversion.

I would like to study PhD educational/ developmental Psychology after this Master degree. I wonder whether the reputation of university (Master degree) affect my chance of getting into a good University for PhD in the future ?
    Hi there, do you want to go into academia/research or would you like to practice as an educational psychologist? They are two different things - a PhD will get you down the academic route i.e. researching, lecturing, whilst a DEdPsy (doctorate of educational psychology) will lead you to you becoming a chartered educational psychologists, where you work with parents, teachers, social worker to foster the best the educational environment for their children's needs.

Either way, it shouldn't matter too much as long as you get a good overall degree from it and also gain experience working with children, so that your application for a DEdPsy is strong as it's very competitive to get onto the funded training scheme (so I've heard from friends.. I'm not eligible for it as I'm not from the UK sadly). For a PhD, gain a lot of research experience working as a research assistant to get funding for PhD places (theres more funding for this as many universities have studentships compared to the limited accredited DEdPsy universities).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igcsecrazy)
    Hi there, do you want to go into academia/research or would you like to practice as an educational psychologist? They are two different things - a PhD will get you down the academic route i.e. researching, lecturing, whilst a DEdPsy (doctorate of educational psychology) will lead you to you becoming a chartered educational psychologists, where you work with parents, teachers, social worker to foster the best the educational environment for their children's needs.

Either way, it shouldn't matter too much as long as you get a good overall degree from it and also gain experience working with children, so that your application for a DEdPsy is strong as it's very competitive to get onto the funded training scheme (so I've heard from friends.. I'm not eligible for it as I'm not from the UK sadly). For a PhD, gain a lot of research experience working as a research assistant to get funding for PhD places (theres more funding for this as many universities have studentships compared to the limited accredited DEdPsy universities).
    Thank you for taking the time to share all of that great information with me. Your advice have been extremely helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 578.ccu)

The reputation of your university does not matter for PhD applications/ funding, what is important is the quality of your supervisor, your proposal, as well as yourself (i.e. the experience and knowledge you have to be able to carry out the research and are you likely to complete it?)

A good PhD project is a good PhD project whether it be being carried out in London Met or Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    The reputation of your university does not matter for PhD applications/ funding, what is important is the quality of your supervisor, your proposal, as well as yourself (i.e. the experience and knowledge you have to be able to carry out the research and are you likely to complete it?)

A good PhD project is a good PhD project whether it be being carried out in London Met or Oxford.
    thank you very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.