Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Concerns over New GCSE’s Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I’m currently in year 10 and am really worried about how I’m going to do in my GCSE exams next year. Out year group will be the first to do the new GCSE’s (1-9). I’m currently studying, triple science, computer science, history, geography, maths and English lit+language.

I have aspirations to become an airline pilot which I know requires me to do exceptionally well in GCSE’s and A-Levels, but I feel like, even though I am trying my best and revising as much as possible I won’t get decent GCSE results.

Maths and chemistry are my biggest concern as the teachers in those lessons don’t give a ****. They offer no support, especially in maths. I am currently in top set for maths which I’m not even supposed to be in as the school forced me to move up a set as otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to do triple science As an option. I’m really struggling in that class as everyone else is understanding stuff and I’m really struggling and stressed out. In the lesson all we do is do pages upon pages of book work with no teacher input and student-teacher communication which seems to run throughout the school.

We have just done our mock exams and I failed my maths paper by 3 grades and failed My chemistry by 2 grades.

So basically I’m asking you guys if you can give me any advice as I’m so scared that if I fail my exams i won’t know what to do with my life anymore. Maybe I’m over reacting I don’t know but any advice at all will be welcome!

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly you need it sit down and have a good brew... You sound worse than me after my mechanics exam...

Secondly, GCSEs dont determine your destiny... so don't be fooled by that.

Thirdly, ok you want to do well but you haven't performed as well as you would've like to. Failure is a crucial part in not only education but outside of education as well. You learn from your mistakes and act upon them. That is the correct way to approach failure.

The wrong way to approach failure (which I feel you're going towards) is giving up after the first hurdle... that's just breing weak and ignorant. Don't do that. Keep going and revising.

If you want some revision help I can certainly help, especially with maths. I am already tutoring a student on here, who is in year 11, in maths, chemistry and physics (because I study them at A Level) in my spare time and I am happy to take on a second student for free.

You also have the TSR community to ask for help as well. Everyone will almost always answer your questions.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajsski)
    Hiya, I’m currently in year 10 and am really worried about how I’m going to do in my GCSE exams next year. Out year group will be the first to do the new GCSE’s (1-9). I’m currently studying, triple science, computer science, history, geography, maths and English lit+language.

I have aspirations to become an airline pilot which I know requires me to do exceptionally well in GCSE’s and A-Levels, but I feel like, even though I am trying my best and revising as much as possible I won’t get decent GCSE results.

Maths and chemistry are my biggest concern as the teachers in those lessons don’t give a ****. They offer no support, especially in maths. I am currently in top set for maths which I’m not even supposed to be in as the school forced me to move up a set as otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to do triple science As an option. I’m really struggling in that class as everyone else is understanding stuff and I’m really struggling and stressed out. In the lesson all we do is do pages upon pages of book work with no teacher input and student-teacher communication which seems to run throughout the school.

We have just done our mock exams and I failed my maths paper by 3 grades and failed My chemistry by 2 grades.

So basically I’m asking you guys if you can give me any advice as I’m so scared that if I fail my exams i won’t know what to do with my life anymore. Maybe I’m over reacting I don’t know but any advice at all will be welcome!
    Have you tried buying a revision guide and workbook for the subjects you're struggling with? For things like Maths they'll guide you through how to do each thing and through examples. You could also think about going to a tutor, or there's lots of online tutoring websites where you know you're getting someone who is qualified and capable

ReputationRep:
    There are quiet a few things you need to do to get your grades up:

1. Decide what is your priority? Why did you fail your mocks, wasn't it because you didn't revise, found the questions confusing etc? Ask your teachers if they have clues how you can get your grades up etc.

2. Get passionate about the subject, watch and read everything you can. It's not about learning, the key is having the recall. The more you have it in your life the more you will remember.

3. Find out how you study , look at Howard Gardener's work - and learn how to study if you haven't already. Look at the You Tube video series called The 12 things I wish my students knew. Also at all the A grade students on YT, they are great at giving advice.

4. DO A REVISION TIME TABLE. Give yourself a few weeks rest and then start revising for your finals BEFORE XMAS. Don't cram at the last minute, do it over weeks if you can.

5. DO MEMORY MAPS, MEMORY PALACES and CHEAT SHEETS. Again you can find out how to do these on You Tube. Add colour, associate memories with what you already know.

6. Associate what you learn with your every day life, for instance for maths look at things and work out angles in your head, or if your going somewhere think of being a math problem to work out.

7. Do something EVERYDAY even if it is a little bit, just keep it coming in.

8. In psychological study here's how they say to learn - Within 5 minute of the class go over your notes, that night go over them again, then at the end of the week, then every month and then every 6 months. The best way to study is in 20 minute batches. with 10 minutes in between doing something physical like dancing, or juggling (it helps the memory pathways). Learn in different locations to show the brain that it's important to you. If you listen to music while studying it can only be Baroque classical, as it stimulates the brain. (source Intro to Psychology by Atkinson and Atkinson etc)

9. Eat healthy, exercise as this will help, include brain foods in your diet, and eat green leaf veg and oily fish/omegas.

10. If you can't understand something, ask your teacher or fellow students, they may have the one thing that makes it click for you.

11. Teach the subject to someone even if it's the family pet, it helps you realise what you do or don't know.

12. You still have a year, so as long as you put in the work in school and at home etc then you can lift those grades. Just make a committed decision to get the highest feasible possible grade and really believe it.

Best of luck.

NB I got As on my mocks and await the final results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.