Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is what I said Offensive? Watch

Announcements

Was just chatting with the girls over FB and I said my mum wants my sister to marry a "well bred" guy (my words), i.e. someone posh/went to a good school etc.

My friends say its a classist phrase but I think its not...

Was I being offensive? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Was just chatting with the girls over FB and I said my mum wants my sister to marry a "well bred" guy (my words), i.e. someone posh/went to a good school etc.

Not offensive. Your friends need better hobbies or maybe even a life.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own desired qualities they look for in a partner, it's like for me I prefer a honest, loyal woman who'd make a good wife, if that means she has no degree then so be it. Some people will find what I said sexist others may agree. Nothing wrong with it though.

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly offensive. More likely hilarious if you don't come from a "well bred" family yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Not offensive at all. You were simply relaying your mother's thoughts. I personally don't think it's snobby.

ReputationRep:
    If you were talking about someone's race rather than class would you be in any doubt that the statement is prejudiced?

The implication of the statement is that someone not posh or from a well-educated background is poorly bred.

As a progressive society, the aim is to stamp out prejudice on the basis of race and sex, I don't see how keeping it for class is excusable.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's particularly classist but I don't get your definition of "well bred" as to mean someone from a good background when surely it refers more to their "good genes" which I'd take as meaning "fit" :')

ReputationRep:
    Down with the bourgeois.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally find it quite dodgy for someone to use language like that if they aren't joking.

ReputationRep:

yes it's offensive and rude. very classist. why is someone better just because they come from a rich background? why is someone who is from lower classes not as good? even looking at it from a looking after her perspective, if the lower class guy had made himself rich he would not be "well bred" (BS) but would probably be a better person to be with than someone who made a living off of daddy's money or daddy's contacts!

it's like a hate the phrase "good background"... just bloody call them posh, they aren't any better than any other background. so outdated and cringe.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it isn't offensive, and your mum is right - I'd much prefer my children to marry a well spoken, educated individual than a chavvy little oik.

ReputationRep:
    looooooool, first world problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    Of course it isn't offensive, and your mum is right - I'd much prefer my children to marry a well spoken, educated individual than a chavvy little oik.
    Given you vote UKIP it's probably not worth asking you if you have the same moronic level of prejudice against people from other countries as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Wellbred...what a peasant. We all know inbred is the true classist phrase

Spoiler:
    Show
    That reminds me of this:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    That reminds me of this:
    Sh#t dats scary yet hilarious😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Sh#t dats scary yet hilarious😂😂😂
    Are you pro-life now? 😂😂😂
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Are you pro-life now? 😂😂😂
    Have never been pro-life
    Spoiler:
    Show

Incoming shitstorm

ReputationRep:
    Have never been pro-life
    Spoiler:
    Show

Incoming shitstorm

Neither. There's no sh*tstorm.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You're safe here.

ReputationRep:
    To me that phrase means the bloke has money and education, and some level of manners, sophistication, and family stability.

Hardly outrageous that a mother wants those things for her daughter tbh, and certainly not for you to relay that preference to others.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.