The Student Room Group

What would be the best thing to do in my situation?

basically long story short, i have just reached a one year milestone with somebody but i am seriously considering breaking it off (i have been mulling it over for a while) - they have not done anything wrong and is a wonderful person, it is just how my feelings have changed and our dynamic better suits a platonic friendship, and i want to explore other relationships also as i think they want something long term. however, we go on a camping family holiday tomorrow; on one hand i understand it's inconsiderate/last minute to split right before a holiday and so soon after an anniversary, but on the other i don't want to drag it out because i dont want to act so awkward and uncomfortable around them especially with my parents there. after that we supposed to go an another family holiday with their parents too. what would be the best option to do? should i break up with them before we go away? should i suck it up until we come back? how can i break it to them in the kindest and sincerest way when the time comes?
thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
do it via email
I'd wait until you return. I'd find it a bit awkward being on holiday with someone I'd just broken up with!
Go on the holiday. Have fun. It might clear things up for you
It would be cruel to do it the day before
Another week is not much
To break up at such short notice before the holiday would be destabilising and awkward for everyone. Go, but be careful not to give mixed messages during the holiday (in terms of what you say and do), if you plan to break up as soon as you get home.
If there is an option in which you don't have to go on this holiday with them then take it. Otherwise, as other posters have suggested, keep grinding on and enjoy the holiday. I had been with someone for 3 years when we went on holiday, by which point I didn't feel like I wanted to be in the relationship. But, I enjoyed the holiday, ate loads of good food and saw cool things. The bickering with said person did dampen the experience though so be aware
Don't break up with them on holiday, no. A holiday is a time to wind down, enjoy and have fun...none of which will be achieved if you break things off. Also, there'd no doubt be added tension with their parents there, too because they'd definitely know about it.

You're best off enjoying your break with them and then reassessing how you feel afterwards.
Omg I m in the exact same position minutes the camping but one year is coming up in a few weeks and have been thing about breakout up for the same reasons as you. I don't know whether to break up before one year or leave it till after. What did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest