Turn on thread page Beta

ok am interested but have little knowledge on the finance side of university as i was suppose to be taking deferred entry until i got offered an amazing course through clearing! ( good ole clearing )

so there is: The student Loan This is £3,000 per year in which you PAY off at the end when you start full time employment....... you spend this on food, water, leisure facilities, other amenities such as a book to read?

accomodation for me this is about £75 per week, which is paid termly ( i think after 3 months )

top up fees now what are these? i heard it would have been cheaper for me to take the deferred entry and go to university in 2005....... will it be more expensive as i'm starting in 2004?

course fees again, havent the foggiest, are these the same as topup fees?

my parents are paying for the fees and accomodation ( to my knowledge ) and i'll be paying for the loan when i work whcih is all well and good
    any tips? advice? anything else to take into account? how much debt do you think you will be in by the end of your 3 or 4 year courses????

(Original post by DazYaABBB)
    ok am interested but have little knowledge on the finance side of university as i was suppose to be taking deferred entry until i got offered an amazing course through clearing! ( good ole clearing )

so there is: The student Loan This is £3,000 per year in which you PAY off at the end when you start full time employment....... you spend this on food, water, leisure facilities, other amenities such as a book to read?

accomodation for me this is about £75 per week, which is paid termly ( i think after 3 months )

top up fees now what are these? i heard it would have been cheaper for me to take the deferred entry and go to university in 2005....... will it be more expensive as i'm starting in 2004?

course fees again, havent the foggiest, are these the same as topup fees?

my parents are paying for the fees and accomodation ( to my knowledge ) and i'll be paying for the loan when i work whcih is all well and good
    any tips? advice? anything else to take into account? how much debt do you think you will be in by the end of your 3 or 4 year courses????

Top up fees (the same as course fees) : The current maximum fee payment is £1,150 . You can apply to your LEA for assistance towards your tuition fees.
    From 2005 you will have to pay up to £3,000 per year but you will start paying after you graduate, provided that you have found a job. Even if you take deferred entry will not have to pay top-up fees of up to £3,000.

(Original post by wizard)
    Top up fees (the same as course fees) : The current maximum fee payment is £1,150 . You can apply to your LEA for assistance towards your tuition fees.
    From 2005 you will have to pay up to £3,000 per year but you will start paying after you graduate, provided that you have found a job. Even if you take deferred entry will not have to pay top-up fees of up to £3,000.
    thanks for the reply

are you goign to higher education next year? if so how much altogether do you think you'll be in debt by?

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure the TOp Up Fees for up to £3000 start in 2006!!!!

(Original post by usman_psycho)

ReputationRep:
    They do.

2005-2006, that's next year, except if you take deferred entry.

Personally, I ll be studying in scotland and as a european union student I ll pay nothing, so my debt will be significantly lower..

ReputationRep:
    i would double check that m'am...
    i went to the UCAS convention, and they said that entrance for 2005-2006 will be much harder, becuase lots of people who are out of education, will come back, less people will take GAP years, due to the increase in top up fees for 2006-2007 entry...so most people cnt afford to pay up to £3000....

THen again, the guy must not have known wot his talking about.....

...... but i doubt that.

i would double check that m'am...
    i went to the UCAS convention, and they said that entrance for 2005-2006 will be much harder, becuase lots of people who are out of education, will come back, less people will take GAP years, due to the increase in top up fees for 2006-2007 entry...so most people cnt afford to pay up to £3000....

THen again, the guy must not have known wot his talking about.....

...... but i doubt that.
    lol at m'am
    :eek:

I checked it again and it is indeed 2006-07, my fault.

2006-07: Universities and colleges will be allowed to set their own tuition fees between £0 and £3,000; the maximum of £3,000 will be set for the whole of the next Parliament. It is not yet known at what level this, or any other university, will set tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    *PhEw*

i would have had to get a weekend job for rest of the year to pay for that......

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.