The Student Room Group

RAF Reserves worthwhile?

Hi guys,

I intend to apply to be a pilot in the RAF in the near future, and was wondering if joining the reserves would improve my application process in any way?

I realise there is a waiting list for Pilot training so assuming I'd get at least a year on the reserves before anything happened. Or would it be better to have spent some time in the reserves before applying?

Thanks
Not really.
Do you have all the academic qualifications for Pilot? Are you still young enough to apply?

Pilots are Officers and for Officers they look for leadership and experience of responsibility. You'd not get that in the Reserves in any Branch of the military. Adult leaders with cadets, running events or sports teams, volunteering. All those things would exercise the skills and abilities they look for far more than joining the Reserves.
Reply 2
Thanks for reply

I just graduated with a 2:1, am currently 23 and I've been part of the Polish Scouts (they're more like cadets than English scouts), so might count for something maybe. What kind of volunteering do you have in mind there?

Quick Reply

Latest