I doubt she's going to be a sour grapes about it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've exhausted my supply of lemon puns. Good talk though😂😂😂
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnIndianGuy)
    Because a 5 year old girl can afford to pay a £150 fine.
    She was with her father so I'm sure they gave the fine notice to him

Still completely stupid to fine the Dad for a lemonade stand run by his daughter. But the headline makes it sound worse than it probably was.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    5 years old girl: Yay! I am selling lemonade like I saw my favourite people in cartoons do!
    Police: You are getting fined even though you clearly cannot afford the fine, young lady!
    5 years old girl: You mean cartoons aren't real?

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hungry Seagull)
    Sensationalised slightly. They fined the father. The council has since apologised and withdrawn the fine. This was the act of a single person.
    In the article it says four enforcement officers approached the child and parents. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    One the one hand - 5 year old girl. But on the other hand, isn't it illegal to set up a street stall without the necessary paperwork? You or I would have to jump through those hoops. Why is it any different for a 5 year-old and her parents? Incidentally, I like it how the article says she just wanted to put a smile on people's face. If that is the case, why not offer the lemonade for free?

ReputationRep:
    An earlier version of the story said the father is a professor/lecturer at a uni. Summer jobs required for those as well as students.

Maybe this guy

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/andre-spicer

knows how to use the media

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParentalAdvisory)
    An earlier version of the story said the father is a professor/lecturer at a uni. Summer jobs required for those as well as students.

Maybe this guy

Ironic that his best seller is 'The Stupidity Paradox'. Seems like there's a bit of paradoxical stupidity to this complaint of his.

Someone as bright as him should realise that you can't just set up a food or drink stall in the street now, not even if you're an upper middle class parent posturing in public about how perfect your family are and how sweet your lemonade.

ReputationRep:
    Overbearing left wing state trying to crush enterprise? How predictable.

ReputationRep:
    The cops have better things to do. They should go stop violent crime rather than picking on harmless kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Like a lot of these stories attacking 'petty officialdom', there's clearly more to it than meets the eye - 5-year olds don't set stalls up on their own. It was being supervised by her dad and that's clearly why the enforcement people felt able to issue the penalty. The council has caved because the tabloids love this kind of half-true story and it's easier to refund and apologise than slug it out. The fact remains that it is a public danger to have unregulated and unlicensed purveyors of food and drink to be given free reign in public spaces. Especially in London, the results would be dire.
    Pray tell, what would happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    Pray tell, what would happen?
    People might have to use common sense :shock:

ReputationRep:
    “Be ye ever so high, still the Law is above Thee.”

- Thomas Fuller.

ReputationRep:
    England and their bs rules girl jus tryna hustle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazing. This level of stupidity is truly amazing.

The ones involved should be stripped of their jobs in my opinion. And the rest of the police force should be put through a 'common sense' test - I'm sure there'd be a few failures if 4 of them thought this was fine
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParentalAdvisory)

Maybe this guy

Yep confirmed
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3592551.html

So it's not the girl's fault, it's his.

At first I though it was directly outside their home but they travelled to set it up - therefore he really should have had the common sense to check the regulations.

Yes the council officers were rather officious about it - but they are probably on a performance-related bonus.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    The cops have better things to do. They should go stop violent crime rather than picking on harmless kids.
    Cops?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.