Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When to take Flucloxacillin???? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been prescribed flucoxacillin to take four times daily, I thought that'd mean every six hours but it doesn't work out. Is it okay to take them every four hours? I've been prescribed these plenty of times before but it's been a while and I can't remember what kind of times I took them.

ReputationRep:
    What does the packet say to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    What does the packet say to do?
    It says to take them four times daily
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jxrdqn99)
    I've been prescribed flucoxacillin to take four times daily, I thought that'd mean every six hours but it doesn't work out. Is it okay to take them every four hours? I've been prescribed these plenty of times before but it's been a while and I can't remember what kind of times I took them.
    Moved to Health

Every 4 hours should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It says to take them four times daily
    Every 4 hours should be fine unless you want to be waking up way too early.

ReputationRep:
    When i had to take them, i just did. as soon as i woke up. Before Lunch, before dinner and before bed
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm always quite bad at taking things x times a day cos i'm forgetful and sleep a lot (especially when i'm ill). I usually try to make sure they're a couple of hours apart and mostly remember to do it with meals or when I wake up/ go to bed. That's always worked out fine for me.
    I'd say 4 hours should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Double check whether they should be taken on a full or empty stomach.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay new question real quick, I'm trying to take them four times but once I take my third one of the day I feel physically nauseous. Is that normal???
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Okay new question real quick, I'm trying to take them four times but once I take my third one of the day I feel physically nauseous. Is that normal???
    What does it say on the box / leaflet?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As everyone has said, take one every 4 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    What does it say on the box / leaflet?
    According to NHS website on that medication, completely normal.

And they should be taken on an empty stomach.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    According to the leaflet that comes with it, completely normal.

Really? I've taken some an hour before or after I've ate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Really? I've taken some an hour before or after I've ate.
    It says 30 minutes before a meal or two hours after.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It says 30 minutes before a meal or two hours after.
    Whoops, got the after part wrong.

ReputationRep:
    According to NHS website on that medication, completely normal.

Oh okay, well thank you. And don't worry I am taking them on an empty stomach. I've been prescribed these things five times before that bit I can't forget
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Antibiotics commonly cause nausea within the first few days, it should subside soon. Flucloxacillin has a fairly short biological half-life, so it makes sense and shouldn't cause any extra harm for you to take them close together (eg every 4 hours). Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Get some probiotic yoghurt and it often helps with the nausea. I've had a few courses of antibiotics, including the one you're on and can easily get through three or four large pots of the stuff, but it makes me feel a lot better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.