Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recent University graduates - what advice would you give your 18 year old self? Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Time for a bit of self reflection :fluffy:

We all remember the build up to A Level results day; nerves, excitement and uncertainty aplenty!

What helpful advice would you give to your 18 year old self in relation to results, starting University and moving away from home?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The most effective method of studying, in my experience, is writing one textbook per module. This textbook includes all the problem sets with explanations on why results are derived the way they are, summarised lecture notes and research from online resources - and is finished with an index for an easy reference for revision.

Even more effective when you teach it to someone, ideally one of your peers. This will identify flaws with your reasoning, so it can be amended accordingly.

This may sound like overkill for some of you, but for one module where I used this study method for, I felt like I was breezing through the questions in the exam when before, I struggled a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    The most effective method of studying, in my experience, is writing one textbook per module. This textbook includes all the problem sets with explanations on why results are derived the way they are, summarised lecture notes and research from online resources - and is finished with an index for an easy reference for revision.

Even more effective when you teach it to someone, ideally one of your peers. This will identify flaws with your reasoning, so it can be amended accordingly.

This may sound like overkill for some of you, but for one module where I used this study method for, I felt like I was breezing through the questions in the exam when before, I struggled a lot.
    Oops - was that meant as a response to this thread, SecretDuck? It's got us scratching our heads a bit! :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staffordshire University)
    Oops - was that meant as a response to this thread, SecretDuck? It's got us scratching our heads a bit! :confused:
    Yes, it is.

I wish I had found that study method at 18 years old. But I only managed to do it in the final year.

ReputationRep:
    I would tell myself to wakeup early and get ready on results day.
    Check UCAS track at 8am- this won't tell you your grades but will tell you if your are accepted or not, which is the most important thing.
    As for nerves, we all have them but just try and remain calm.
    If you are rejected from uni, fear not! Just be sure to call up at 9am sharp to your top unis that you want to attend.

Moving away from home can be hard so don't choose somewhere 10000miles away if you have never spent more than two days away from home or your are close to your family. You will probably regret it lol.

ReputationRep:
    Some excellent tips here, Rt6f!

(Original post by Rt6f)
    Check UCAS track at 8am- this won't tell you your grades but will tell you if your are accepted or not, which is the most important thing.
    This might be the case for most people - but on my results day back in 2010, mine hadn't updated so I was none the wiser until I opened my envelope at college a couple of hours later! THAT was a nerve-wracking morning! :eek:

Rachael

ReputationRep:
    I would tell my 18 year old self that everything is going to work out in the end, and that I need to look after myself more. After A-Level results day I thought I wasn't going to get into any of my choices, but I managed to get accepted to Staffs. I struggled a lot with my mental health, especially around exam season, and I ended up having to defer my place for a year so that I could recover and seek out counselling. I felt humiliated that I wasn't able to go to uni at the same time as the rest of my friends, and I felt like a failure.

Now I have just graduated with a First Class degree in Psychology and Counselling, and am about to start my MSc Health Psychology course in September, and I could not be more proud of my transformation from how I was back then, to how stable and successful I am now 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.