Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m looking to head to uni next year. I’ve started to look at the different websites and I’ve ordered a couple of prospectuses but I’m not sure how easy it is to find the information I need. Any advice on what I’m looking at in a prospectus to help me make the best choice when picking a uni and course?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello rosemarymay :h:

What are you interested in studying?

It's always a good starting point to check out which universities have a good reputation for the subject area that you're looking at. Websites like WhatUni or Unistats can help you with this.

Then it's important to cross reference your expected A Level grades against the entry requirements for any university that might have caught your eye from your research. If you're predicted to get straight B grades, whilst it's always good to be optimistic, don't just choose the 'top' universities that require AAA - it's sensible to consider institutions that you're most likely to be accepted into.

Then, ask yourself what sort of location you'd be happy to study in. Are you wanting to stay within an hour's drive from home? Are you happy to take the plunge and move to the other side of the country? Work out the radius from your home that you'd be comfortable with, and see if any of the universities that you've found fit into this catchment.

Now you have yourself a shortlist!

Order their prospectuses, check out their websites and social media channels. Attend an open day - this is the only way to truly get a feel for the campus, the atmosphere and the location. Ask questions - lots of them!

It's also super important to do your own research on any universities on your list. Don't just listen to other peoples' opinions on the university or city/town that it's in - form your own opinion. We all have different tastes!

Hopefully this is a helpful starting point for your search - but if you have any other questions, we're happy to help! Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Just like Staffs Uni says , get yourself a short list. I would strongly recommend to visit visit visit, more than one open day for the few you short list. On the 1st visit it can all be quite overwhelming but on the next you look at it all a bit differently. I would also recommend any trial lectures you can get on to too. If you are really stuck between 2 places this can help you make your mind up, Staffs Uni invited me to one and I emailed Keele to ask to attend an existing lecture. Both experiences were brilliant and really helped me to make my mind up. Good luck choosing. x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.